Android L discussion thread

Search This thread

cadialex

Jul 9, 2013
Lausanne
You mean that if you have a rooted GPE M8, with the original bootloader and recovery you will not be able to install the OTA?

It is highly possible that it won't work, simply because there is a new OTA mecanism introduced with L (it was already present in KitKat but was never used). The OTA will patch the whole /system partition at once, not individual files within it (as it's doing for the moment). That means that it will check if the whole partition MD5/hash is the one expected; it won't do that check for individual files but for the whole partition. That's the main difference with KK OTA's.

That means that if you are rooted, the upgrade will apply the following steps:

1) Rebooting to bootloader/recovery
2) Install the new firmware
3) Reboot to bootloader
4) Check the MD5/hash of the /system partition
-FAIL because it doen't match with the MD5 expected.

That means you end up with the new firmware and the old ROM, as the new one hasn't been flashed. It probably means bootloops, or even bricking your device.

So you'd better run a not-rooted RUU before getting the update, in case you don't want a beautiful 5 inches paper-weight.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
It is highly possible that it won't work, simply because there is a new OTA mecanism introduced with L (it was already present in KitKat but was never used). The OTA will patch the whole /system partition at once, not individual files within it (as it's doing for the moment). That means that it will check if the whole partition MD5/hash is the one expected; it won't do that check for individual files but for the whole partition. That's the main difference with KK OTA's.

That means that if you are rooted, the upgrade will apply the following steps:

1) Rebooting to bootloader/recovery
2) Install the new firmware
3) Reboot to bootloader
4) Check the MD5/hash of the /system partition
-FAIL because it doen't match with the MD5 expected.

That means you end up with the new firmware and the old ROM, as the new one hasn't been flashed. It probably means bootloops, or even bricking your device.

So you'd better run a not-rooted RUU before getting the update, in case you don't want a beautiful 5 inches paper-weight.
Wait, so you're saying the order of the OTA update has changed with Lollipop too? The firmware has always installed last on every other iteration of Android for HTC devices, not first.

cadialex

Jul 9, 2013
Lausanne
Wait, so you're saying the order of the OTA update has changed with Lollipop too? The firmware has always installed last on every other iteration of Android for HTC devices, not first.

Yeah, I think so. If it was the same as before, why would it be a problem for booting up after the update ? Many users have already bricked their Moto X 2014 taking the update ^^'

As HTC GPE devices as near stock, such as Moto X, I consider they have a very similar update system.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

erapmicks

Mar 6, 2012
Why don't y'all just RUU your phone again to GPE.... Problem solved

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Make sure don't use the rooted zip

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Yeah, I think so. If it was the same as before, why would it be a problem for booting up after the update ? Many users have already bricked their Moto X 2014 taking the update ^^'

As HTC GPE devices as near stock, such as Moto X, I consider they have a very similar update system.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
I guess we'll see how HTC handles the OTA. Even for GPE, the OTA updates had the firmware flash at the end of the process rather than the beginning - it could be that HTC will continue to do it their own way (they often do).

Nic2112

Mar 4, 2010
Ottawa
Normally they have to get back to older ROM and firmware, but there is always a risk that I'd like to avoid :p So just RUU with non-rooted

Oh i'm not taking any chance, the only way I flash the OTA is from stock non-rooted.

I was asking because people use the work "brick" for everything now even just to get attention. In my book, if the phone can be recovered by flashing something or using an EXE RUU, it's definitely not bricked, just needs to be fixed.

P

Pavlova

Or RUU 4.4.3 unrooted and flash stock gpe recovery. Then update via OTA to 4.4.4. So if to KitKat 4.4.4 goes, goes to L also.

krazie1

Jun 5, 2010
Everyone we have til Wednesday for the update, after Wednesday its considered late in the week. I have it feeling it'll be here on Tuesday, let's see what happens

MistaBishi

Oct 21, 2011
Devonport
We are all waiting! I wouldn't expect it today guys. Honestly, I don't expect it to be pushed until 'Update Wednesday'.

Or 'Update Thursday' here in Australia, but it doesn't have that same ring to it :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Woohoo, Dutchdeveloper and I have reached the point of building where it begins building the apps.
    Nothing promised yet, but we're close!
    Stay tuned!

EDIT: JUST BUILT FRAMEWORK-RES.APK
    Okay, an update for everyone. My cousin is okay, they got her into surgery fast enough that the aneurysm didn't kill her. She'll spend a few days in the hospital, but other than that she will be okay. Thank you guys very much for your thoughts and prayers. XDA has the best community, and after some sleep its back to builds.
    Camera? Wifi? Gps? Bluetooth?

wifi and bluetooth is working. no camera app at this moment. gps no test. alot of other problems^^

does cm 11 need a special firmware on m8?
    Alright, I'm working on syncing the code base now, I have worked on a couple of other devices creating build scripts, so let's see if I can't get this one to work.

---------- Post added at 01:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Well, this is going to take quite a while, I only have 17% synced. I guess I am gonna get some sleep and tackle this behemoth in the morning. No promises though, just saying now.