GPS Cycle Computer v3

Search This thread

S_Hammer

Jan 9, 2007
Timestamps with the waypoints

Hello,

I have a request if I'm allowed to?. I would like to use your exelent tools to add geotags to my fotos. Therefore it would be excelent to have timestamps with the waypoints and not only one timestamo with the track.

I would like to use Zoner Photo Studio to do the job and would love to have those informations in the gpx format. But I would be able to transfer the data to any format by using gpsbabel so it would be ok to have a simple common format with the info's

Maybe have the structure like this :)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>

<gpx xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" creator="byHand" version="1.1"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd">

<wpt lat="39.921055008" lon="3.054223107">
<ele>12.863281</ele>
<time>2005-05-16T11:49:06Z</time>
<name>Cala Sant Vicenç - Mallorca</name>
<sym>City</sym>
</wpt>
</gpx>

Br Martin

Last edited:

AndyZap

Jul 12, 2008
I was also thinking about adding photos to KML files, but I wanted to do all these bits on PC . I am going to write a PC application, which reads GCC files and can have more features than the WinMobile one. To add photos, I can use a timestamp of the photo jpeg file, and align with the same timestamp in gcc file - then save this info in KML (or GPX). Also can mark different parts of the track for hight, speed, etc.

schreda

Aug 31, 2008
I didn't tried it yet, but it seems to be a good App for me
I created a CAB Installation, add it to your first Post i you want!

Attachments

• GpsCycleComputer.cab
    46.7 KB · Views: 69

S_Hammer

Jan 9, 2007
Sounds good :)

I was thinking a little bit in another direction. Not to include the photos in a kml file, but to add the geotag to the exif information of the jpeg.

Is it possible for you to do a first shot on the pc application before end of september. I travel to Australia in the begining of October and would like to use your apps there.

Br Martin

I was also thinking about adding photos to KML files, but I wanted to do all these bits on PC . I am going to write a PC application, which reads GCC files and can have more features than the WinMobile one. To add photos, I can use a timestamp of the photo jpeg file, and align with the same timestamp in gcc file - then save this info in KML (or GPX). Also can mark different parts of the track for hight, speed, etc.

riki1

Sep 15, 2008
riki1.szm.sk
Thank You for goooood program (I was walking) :

image_preview.php
[/url][/IMG]

Taajuus

Sep 17, 2008
Vantaa
Looks like cool software to map my motorcycle runs and display them afterwards on GE.

Thanks, will give it a try on my Touch Pro! Wonder if this works if I have also Route66 navigation software running same time? Well, have to try...

carloshdez

Jun 23, 2008
Does anybody have issues when the backlight is off? It seems that the GPS stops working correctly, it doesn't fix, and when I turn it back on, instantly fixes again

Taajuus

Sep 17, 2008
Vantaa
This software is great, love it already.

Used it while riding my bike today, just had tracker running on my Touch Pro background, then used Route66 as normal GPS navigation. When I came back home, I had nice tracking data available for Google Earth :)

I will mostly use it like this, but I still have one feature request - Could you make option so that tracker will keep backlight on while tracking? Just like in GPS navigation softwares. Just thinking if I just ride without navigation, it would be nice to keep tracker on and see all GPS info from it (like my actual speed and tops :cool:).

Anyway, great software.

With Another GPS Tracker, Google Earth and Google_Maps_in_GE.kmz I can produce nice route maps like these:

Attachments

• reitti01_kuva01.jpg
    reitti01_kuva01.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 218
  • reitti01_kuva02.jpg
    reitti01_kuva02.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 187
  • reitti01_kuva03.jpg
    reitti01_kuva03.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 204

AndyZap

Jul 12, 2008
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Re backlight issues: I have the required function to prevent the light from switching off (and going into suspend as well), this is executed every 15 sec (to do this correctly, I should have read the registry setting for your suspend time, but decided that it is unlikely you have less than 15 sec). SO, if you have the bklight/suspend timer set to less than 15 sec, this might be a problem. Also this function (keep bk light on) is only active when GPS is logging, I thought that if you are not logging, then it is better to save battery power!

So far I have not seen problems with logging when the bklight is off - of course, if I switch the backlight with the software button on the tool, not to suspend the phone with the power button (I have standard UK Diamond with standard ROM). I.e. I always swhitch off bklight with soft button and turn it back with hardware power button.

Re development plans for PC application - this might take a bit of time (it is not a one day job) - but this is just post-processing, where more and more features can be added with time. What is important is that the log file format seems not going to be changed, so provided that you have your .gcc logs, you will not loose your holiday trips data!

HansZimmer

Jan 15, 2007
One question : When do the tool saves the gps data ? Just after pressing save button , or ? In my opinion it would much better, if you FIRST decide the format, and thenif the tool would save and update the file AFTER each gps position location. In this case you would have a gps file even if the tool or the battery shuts down suddenly. If it collect all data in memory and you forgot to save, all data is lost.

hans

AndyZap

Jul 12, 2008
How tool saves gcc files.

Yes, the tool opens a temp file and save the data after each new point. The temp file is called "\tmp.gcc" and is located in the very top folder (root) of the device. I thought that it is better to write a temp file into main memory, than into internal storage (assuming main memory has faster/more reliable access). As you press Stop, the temp file is copied into gcc file with requried name. So you should be able to get the log data from this temp file, if the system/tool crashed. The only problem is that file output is "buffered", i.e. you do not get the file updated instantly as you write to it from inside the program - i.e. some data at the end of the log is likely to be lost.

cozzykim

Jan 9, 2006
Manchester
Superb app, thanks

This is a fantastic little app!!

It works perfectly on my O2 Ignito (once I read the instructions properly and got used to NOT switching the power button off)

I love the stylish interface.

I'm hoping this is goin' to free me from the Logbook in my cr@ppy Navigon MN6.

I'd like to have the option to 'name' each log/trip (e.g. like "Home to Work") and to also save to .csv (or .xls ;) )

Congrats as well on the open source approach, the source code could be really useful.

Thanks again AndyZap,

Kim

dreamer2008

Sep 24, 2008
I love this application!

I've tried Luis Espinosa's TrackMe application before, but it never worked very consistently for me.

I would also love to have your application save a timestamp with each waypoint in order to use it for camera applications. It shouldn't be necessary to write PC software as well for this (e.g. software like Breezesys Downloader Pro can be used to match picture timestamps and GPS timestamps), all you have to do is to save the current timestamp with each GPS coordinate.

You can get some inspiration from TrackMe's KML files: http://www.luisespinosa.com/trackme/routes/middleda.kml

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,
    attached the new beta24:
    - copyright string for maps
    - improved "Input LatLon"; additional waypoint is created if you add a name
    - additional option: voice commands only when leaving track for more than 100m (configurable in map options) [feature not thoroughly tested]

remark to copyright: I thought that it must be present on the screen for legal reasons, but noone needs this information and noone wants the map be covered by this copyright information. Therefore I made it as small as possible and put in in the lower corner where it disturbs not much. But if you want, I can make it in big bold letters in the middle of the screen - here it is. (It only urges people to disable it completely.)

to my remark of my new android phone: I think it makes no sense to port (write new) GCC to Android. There are already good applications which are already on a much higher level than GCC.
    I will reduce my engagement in developing GCC to a lower level (in the last few weeks it was already very low).

Regards, Klaus
    Hello low.flying.pigs
    attached the version 4.10beta7, which should fix this error.
    Klaus
    new final version 4.12

Hello friends of GCC,

at the dropbox link
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/69ps6iqg4ajau3r/_cXdntYYU6
    is the new final (and perhaps the last) version 4.12 of GCC.
    There are also some AddOns for GCC at this dropbox link.

changes from the last beta are:
    - additional option: voice commands only for important messages i.e. when leaving track for more than 100m (configurable in map options)
    - additional option: beep instead of voice commands (especially for devices without voice capability i.e. S3857)

Regards
    Klaus
    Hello lfp, hello Cheque,

I have made a first beta with your suggestions.

- statistics also for kml import
    - improved time unit display when > 24h
    - backlightOff button now on first position in menue. Reactivation with click on left half screen -> main; on right half -> map
    - improved map display while moving map
    - map label color can be configured in Options - Main screen - Select fore/back/mapLabel-color...

- bugfix T2F import with large files (>4096 points)

Regarding backlight: Can't you use the hardware power button? How do you reactivate your device? On my device, when I use the backlight button, the touch screen is still working, but you can't see what you are doing. To reactivate my device I had to use the power button. I have improved this now.

Regarding small black corners sometimes: there is a very sophisticated algorithm to select the best map files to display. This makes sense for arbitrary maps which could overlap each other. For OSM-style map tiles this algorithm is not optimal and has its weaknesses. It could be done much more structured and with less effort. The black corners show especially when some zoom levels are missing, e.g. you have only zoom level 14 and 16. I have now changed the map tile selection for OSM-style maps. Please test if it has some weaknesses.
    Furthermore I will investigate if I can change the behaviour so that the map is displayed 1:1 (and ev. 3:2) pixel of the map to pixel of the display. This will greatly improve the quality of the map presentation, but requires much effort because some things must go the opposite way as now.
    Klaus
    new version 4.5

Hello,
    version 4.5 of GCC is now online:
    http://code.google.com/p/gccv2/downloads/list
    Jürgen, a new developer, has added a couple of nice features and fixed some bugs:

********* version 4.5 *********
    new features:
    - if track2follow and current position can´t be displayed on the same screen:
    * an additional line indicates the shortest way
    * the distance between T2F and current position is shown
    - New context menu on the map screen:
    * show the start / end position of the track to follow,
    * add an check point (only if logging is active)
    * reset map to current position
    - new energy safe options
    * switch GPS off during power off (tracklog will be interrupted, a popup will inform the user)
    * switch Backlight off after timeout
    - if a track log is activated, and in the file dialog the cancel button is pressed, logging is not started.
    - Input Lat/Long can now additionally be used, to navigate to a specific point (e.g. usefull for Geocaching)
    - in map screen: arrow now in color of track line (configurable)

Have fun
    Klaus