FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

New-ish! VJToggleToday 16% bigger Today screen :)

5,790 posts
Thanks Meter: 66

By vijay555, Retired Moderator on 31st August 2005, 10:58 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
30 June 2006:
Please note:
ToggleNew, ToggleStart and ToggleToday are WM2003 apps ONLY.

VJToggleToday II alpha is WM5 only. You can download the alpha release here. But please read the thread from the end, backwards, to find out its limitations.
Remember that you can launch it with the command line
Code:
-config
to show the settings.

23 Oct 2005 Guys, this is a newer beta version. Read second page of thread for info

Guys:
This is hopefully the new and slightly improved version of my today screen hacks seen here and here.

This version is hopefully startup folder safe - I drop it into my startup folder and it does the business quite safely.
- This has been only tested on PPC2003; it should work fine on all PPCs.
- I'm not sure what it will do on WM2005 - Buzz, anyone? It should be fine at removing the Start Bar on WM2005 - but you don't have the equivalent New bar to remove to begin with.
- ToggleStart should work fine on VGA, but ToggleNew will not.

Try it - tell me if it crashes out. Don't put it in your start folder until you know it works. If it works, great!

I don't think this is Wisbar compatible, read page 3 of the thread!

So recall: this program or suite of programs can remove the New bar at the bottom of the today screen. It can also remove the start bar at the top of the screen, shrinking it down to 2 pixels for use in the following manner with PhoneAlarm or your weapon of choice:

After Installation of ToggleNew:

After Installation of ToggleStart:

ToggleStart in use:

Dual functionality - tiny start bar at the top of the screen, alongside PhoneAlarm:

Please uninstall the old version of VJToggleStuff before installing the new version.
CAB version

Individual .exe if required:
ToggleNew

ToggleStart

TodayToggle

Ok - so the cab should install 3 files into \program files\VJSoft\
it should also make some shortcuts in your Programs Menu.

We have 3 files:
BEGINNERS guide:
ToggleNew.exe will Toggle on and off the "New" bar at the bottom of your today screen.
ToggleStart.exe will Toggle on and off the Start bar at the TOP of your today screen. PLEASE ensure you know how to use the shrunken Start bar - it's still there, but tiny and along the top edge. OK button is still where it should be, top right corner of the screen (see the screenshots above). Please read the old threads to get the idea, or just try it! Soft reset if you get stuck.

Beginners can ignore TodayToggle.exe.

ADVANCED USERS:
TodayToggle.exe The three files are actually the same program - but some people will like to assign them to a hardware key to toggle things on and off on a whim so I've made ToggleNew and ToggleStart toggle the single item. However, TodayToggle will, by default, toggle BOTH the New bar and the Start bar at the same time - if that's what you want and know how to use the shrunken start bar.

However, the programs take a command line option if you are secure with creating shortcuts:
Code:
TodayToggle.exe menu
will toggle the New menu bar ONLY

Code:
TodayToggle.exe start
will toggle the Start bar ONLY

Code:
TodayToggle.exe both
or
Code:
TodayToggle.exe
will toggle both at the same time

If you're confident in creating shortcuts, you can get rid of ToggleNew.exe and ToggleStart.exe, and just use TodayToggle.exe with command lines.

Note that TodayToggle.exe also contains three icons, so using something like claunch or a shortcut you can assign the Min, Max and UpDown icons as appropriate.
/end of advanced user guide

All:
I hope you find these useful. Read the old threads to get the hang of what you can do with it.

You can get my phonealarm skin from here. Please read this thread to read how to use it with ToggleStart.

I consider this software beta until you guys report back and say it's ok or worst case, it turned your PDA into a Nokia.

Don't forget - after installing these hacks you'll need a bigger wallpaper to fill the extra space! If you don't, the wallpaper tiles itself.s

Also - if you use something like SPB battery monitor at the top of the screen, you won't be able to use a shrunken Start Bar (ie ToggleStart) correctly. Disable it or read this thread

Please post screenshots if you do anything nice with this stuff.

Vijay

August 31 2005:
- SIP keyboard panel issue [Grumble's post]. It will hide itself in normal use

31st August 2005, 12:36 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Nice work Vijay but (you knew it was coming didnt ya) the function I wanted this app for was the Hide New. When I run it, 'new' disappears as expected but leaves a white line in its place. Also if I exit an app it leaves the input button showing (see screenshot).
Is this something to do with the size of the bitmaps created for themes ?

Oh well a nice app anyway and Im sure I can get used to the white line
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pc_capture5_111.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (10.4 KB, 2163 views)
31st August 2005, 12:59 PM |#3  
OP Retired Moderator
Witch Space

More
Yep Grumble, this issue is posted on the old threads - I'll update the first post to remind users - you now need a bigger wallpaper to fill the screen :wink:

The white line was actually on your wallpaper to begin with! The PPC tiles the wallpaper if it's not big enough - so it's actually repeating your wallpaper, white line and all. The white line is actually hidden behind the start bar at the top of your screen normally. Try running togglestart to see!

I've noticed the keyboard input thing - it seems to disappear in normal usage.

V
31st August 2005, 01:35 PM |#4  
Flag Al Ain, U.A.E.
Thanks Meter: 1

More
The case here is that your wallpaper ain't big enough. PLease remember when the people made their TSK, they did not put into consideration that the bottom bar could be knocked off. I have the same problem but I just made a way to cover it up. As for the keyboard being there, I noticed this problem comes when you have MortPlayer installed and when you hit the red phone button to take it off your screen. Basically it leaves the keyboard item there.
31st August 2005, 02:43 PM |#5  
OP Retired Moderator
Witch Space

More
Mvmajorem - did you try the new version?
I had to rewrite the thing from scratch in Visual Studio 2005. I'm not sure if I screwed anything up on the way.

V
31st August 2005, 06:08 PM |#6  
Flag Al Ain, U.A.E.

More
I've tried the new plugin and it does leave the keyboard behind ruining what you wanted to achieve in the first place.

Still thanks for the release, the icon you used now is better, that is all i can say.
31st August 2005, 07:44 PM |#7  
Flag Al Ain, U.A.E.

More
BTW, is there a way to make the Start Bar transparent or even change the Start button icon without the use of 3rd party software.
31st August 2005, 09:28 PM |#8  
OP Retired Moderator
Witch Space

More
Guys, if the keyboard icon comes up, try pressing the green call button and then going back. It should be gone. I might look into this issue if it's a big problem.

Transparent start bar - kinda possible, but not without some 3rd party software as far as I know. I might look into knocking something together, but I'm working on a couple of other hacks and something that might make ToggleToday even more useful I hope. It's more important right now

V
1st September 2005, 05:56 AM |#9  
Flag Al Ain, U.A.E.

More
Vijay,

I've gone back to the older version. I like it much better without the keyboard sticking out.

I love the program!
BTW: Where can I learn to make these kinds of software?
1st September 2005, 06:06 AM |#10  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Tallahassee, Florida, USA
Thanks Meter: 11

More
offtopic
vijay555 sorry but...
[Graphic1.png]
BTW...in wm5
[1.png]

tnx,
jojo
Attached Images
File Type: png graphic1_302.png - [Click for QR Code] (134.7 KB, 1243 views)
File Type: png 1_180.png - [Click for QR Code] (25.8 KB, 862 views)
1st September 2005, 09:34 AM |#11  
OP Retired Moderator
Witch Space

More
xda2jojo - what's wrong with Imelda?
I'm using an old screenshot so it's always the same quote!
I've got 500 of them altogether

The WM2005 version - works ok?

Mvmajorem - I'll look into the keyboard issue. I don't think it happens with the old version right? If not, it should be easy to fix.

V
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)