[GUIDE] The Generic SD Issue (READ FIRST)

Search This thread

icu.

Jul 20, 2014
Rotterdam
Problem accessing SdCard on Samsung S4

Today I got a message on my phone that my 'Sd card was not inserted correctly and check if it is inserted correctly etc etc.'
Checked it but it was all good.
>Then I checked if everything was good with the NextApp SDFix app and no problems there.
>Then I tried to approach the sd card via the CM file manager and I got the message that I had to switch roots access mode on.
>So I switched over to Towelroot and check if everything was ok but I got the message that my phone is currently not supported.
>When I access the Storage setting on my phone my SD card is not displayed.

Until today everything worked well. What should I do because I'm outta options.

Thanks in advance

..cant post screenshots bcoz I'm new, sorry

hirastikanah

Feb 15, 2014
hello

after trying to use"folder mount" app, and rebooting my phone, the phone started to reboot over and over again!:eek:
once i removed the sd card, this problem solved...
then i formatted my sd card (inserted it into a ram reader and formatted it)

and now, i cannot use my sd card anymore ! :rolleyes:
with a ram reader it does work, but when i insert it into my phone i cannot use it (neither in phone's file manager nor with usb cable on laptop)
i cannot paste copied files on my sd card while its inserted in my phone!

and if i paste them using a ram read, after inserting it into my phone, i cannot see those files !

whats the problem with my sd card?:confused:

thanks!:good:

Reactions: betoberno

sreehari.007

Jan 17, 2013
i hav a sandisk 16gb class 10 sd card
i partitioned it as 12gb fat, 2gb ext4,
bal to linux swap with mini tool partition wizard
everithing was working fine.
i was using a custum rom, lx cm12 in my haida. roms system partition was moved to ext 4
suddenly my phone started rebooting it self..

i tried everything, reflashing rom, kernal, wiping etc
nothing is working.
now my real problem is, i cant make the sd in to its original format.
i tried wipe partitions, formating to fat 32 using mini tool, esus, sd formatter, disk part, regedit etc
i tried all most every procedure
each one worked fine..
but after everi format sd shows empty 14 gb free space, and if i re insert the sd in to my phone or pc
it showin everi files is there before i formated the SD.
now i cant delete files, format sd, wipe partitions..
what should i do to get my sd in its original size???
anyone can help me??
or my sd is dead
sorry for my bad english

Sent from my MT11i using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

MSK1

Nov 15, 2012
Huawei Mate 20 X
I transferred my card from my note 2 to my new note edge and it's stopped writing.

I can still back it up (which is a relief)

Before I shell out £100 on a new one. ... what can I do to fix it?

Is there something simple I am missing?

rajguru07

Mar 10, 2013
my sd card damaged

This is a bad incident, as my phone dropped from my hand onto the ground suddenly my phone's display got cracked and the micro sd card of 8gb came out of its own from my phone. Due to sudden dropping of my phone data on the memory is lost.
Whenever I insert this sd card using card reader into computer it always asks to format, as a new sd card does.

Please help me to recover my data.

Reactions: tarheel6279

AAnderson298

Jan 11, 2016
Besides all these problems, you should be really careful about fake sdcards. There are just too many of them. And it's really hard to tell if a sdcard is fake. I wouldn't want to save my picture or data on a knock-off product.

hgrunwell

Jan 4, 2015
I've had a run of bad luck lately with sd cards, even name brands. Over the last two years I've burnt through 5-6 of them. Various different failures and lost data. I wonder if I'm primarily getting the fake ones this thread mentions.

Is there any way to verify the authenticity of a card?

Aug 30, 2012
I've had a run of bad luck lately with sd cards, even name brands. Over the last two years I've burnt through 5-6 of them. Various different failures and lost data. I wonder if I'm primarily getting the fake ones this thread mentions.

Is there any way to verify the authenticity of a card?
I try to make sure to buy from a reputable retailer and not from smaller sellers. Nothing against most small sellers, but enough of the time, even when I'm buying an item listed as "Genuine" I have gotten fakes. This goes for things like camera accessories, batteries, etc.

For example, I would buy a card "Sold and shipped by Amazon" but not one sold by a no-name seller on the Amazon marketplace.

In addition, I try to cross shop several retailers to see what a "reasonable" price should be. If most sellers have the item listed at ~$60 and I find it for $23.99 online... I feel that in most cases is probably too good to be true.

Saving a little bit of money isn't worth the risk of potentially losing ALL of my data.

I try to do backups regularly, but sometimes it isn't always possible or I forget.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has been created to address the hundreds of "Ma SD Don't Work" Threads spawned in the Accessories forum. After seeing and answering many of these, I though it would be appropriate to simply create a thread for this.​

Almost 80% of all of these defective SD card threads have common solutions. I will list these below.

Kingston said:
    995193720208439342.jpg

1) A corrupt SD card:
    Deftone said:
    SD cards, especially the Micro SD generation can be damaged very easily if you are not careful. Any physical damage to the card will or the gold contacts will cause it to become unreadable. You know your card is corrupt when the computer cannot explore the card. SD cards can be damaged by forcing them out of the device they are in. If your SD card has become stuck in your computer, camera, MP3 player or printer.

It is best to take the device to a professional to have it removed, rather than trying to force the card from the device using probes, such as paperclips or screwdrivers. If the casing for your SD card becomes damaged or you accidentally damage the inside of your card, you could lose the data currently stored on the card and render the card useless in the future. Also, once it is corrupt, you cannot even sell it for parts or use it as a paperweight because of its low weight.
    2) Dirty Contacts:
    Deftone said:
    If the gold contacts are dirty in anyway, this will mean the device will not be able to read it. Using a finger can scratch the contacts and make it corrupt. Instead use a cloth, microfiber if you have one. The reader, (device) will also accumulate dust over time. Clean out the reader with an earbud. This may also solve this issue.
    ADDITIONAL: Thanks to hb-kevin for mentioning that you can " clean the contacts with denatured alcohol. It's a cleaning alcohol that is perfectly safe on electronics such as computers, motherboards, and phone parts. If all else fails, try giving the contacts a gentle scrub with some alcohol and a soft toothbrush. "
    3) Corrupt Data:
    Deftone said:
    Removing an SD card from a computer without properly ejecting it can cause software damage to the card. Removing your SD card while your computer is trying to read it or removing the card from a camera or MP3 player that is powered on could cause your SD card to lose the data that is stored on it and force you to reformat the card before using it again. Many tools can be found online to help you with this pursuit.

4) Casing:
    Deftone said:
    SD cards are enclosed in a small plastic casing that can be easily damaged if the card is left unprotected in a pocket, chewed on by the dog or stepped on. If the casing for your SD card has become damaged, do not put the card into a device (it might become stuck). Instead, take the card to a data recovery center in your area and have a professional recover any files you might need from the card.

5) The "Write Protected" Issue
    Deftone said:
    On many SD cards (not many micro) there is a physical switch on the side of the card. This is a write lock. This means that if the switch is up and locked, the sd will refuse any data trying to be written to it. As a result, no data will be copied to the card - if it is in a computer, you will get a popup dialogue notifying you that it is write protected, just flick the switch.

The write protection could have also been enabled in a computer. To disable it, just right click on the SD in my computer and then click properties. Then go to attributes. If "read only" is checked, uncheck it. This could be the source of your problems.

Please hit thanks if you found this useful.
    Please read this before posting another SD thread.

If any further help is required, please leave it down below.

EDIT: Thanks to Cooleagle for making this a sticky. Because of the stick, many more people will see this first and not have to create a thread.
    Looks like a nice guide buddy, has been made a sticky.

Keep up the good work & Cheers ! :)
    Need to add one more to your list OP. This is one that bit me in the ass the last time I tried to move to CM 10.1

Format incompatibility. CM 10.1 does not support the exFAT or NTFS filesystems required to make effective use of SDCards >32GB.

Let me explain:

SDXC MicrosSD cards now come in capacities over 64GB and, as shipped, phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 supports them in hardware and software.

Capacities of over 32GB are very trouble-prone when using the mroe common FAT32 file system found on lower capacity SDcards. Worse, Windows absolutely refuses to format a +64GB SDCard to FAT32. Samsung (and I am sure other vendors that support 64GB SDCards) have licensed Microsoft's exFAT filesystem to legally provide support for exFAT. However CyanogenMod does not have this licensing in place and Google does nto provide blanket licensing for it.

This is a royal pain to those of us that have a 64GB SDCard in our Sammy GS4s, but want to move to SM10.1 or related rom. This leaves either reformatting your +64GB SDCard as FAT32 using a third party utility OR downsizing to a 32GB SDCard if you want to run anything except the bloated, OEM-branded, as-shipped ROM.
    Nice guide maby we need it to stickied. :D

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Thanks for taking the time to read it. I have PM'd cooleagle the mod but nothing yet. If I still have nothing by tonight, I will PM another mod because cooleagle might be too busy.
    Not possible

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk