Search This thread

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Sony Xperia Z3v
uK2Q5sA.png

CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look, build, and use our code at CarbonROM's GitHub...

Disclaimer:
While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! These builds are experimental and can contain Bugs (as listed above). Make sure to do backups.

Support:
We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.
2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ
3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.
4) Join our Discord server or Telegram group! There, you can connect with other Carbon users and our developers, and you can get quicker responses to your bug reports. The invite link is right below.

Download
Join the CarbonROM Discord server
Meet us on Telegram
Homepage
GitHub
Kernel source

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
CarbonROM, ROM for the Google Pixel 2 XL

Contributors
Myself5, CarbonROM
Source Code: https://github.com/CarbonROM

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2019-04-09
Last Updated 2019-08-28

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Sony Xperia Z3v
Fyi your post isn't loading on the XDA app.
After you posted now it's working lol. Strange man strange. Carry on with flashing peeps.

Haha, weird things.

What gapps do you recommend for this ROM. It has been a while since I ran carbon.

I recommend OpenGapps.

Flashing procedure is
Flash Carbon
Flash TWRP
Reboot to recovery (this switches slots, it's important)
Flash GApps
Done

Edmontonchef

Nov 30, 2016
edmonton
Google Pixel 6
is anyone else having trouble with Gboard themes on this ROM? If I pick a gradient theme it just hangs and crashes.
I flashed this with Mini gapps first and had a hard time getting through setup, tried again with pico with more success.

is anyone else having trouble with Gboard themes on this ROM? If I pick a gradient theme it just hangs and crashes.
I flashed this with Mini gapps first and had a hard time getting through setup, tried again with pico with more success.

I flashed the micro package and can't even get past checking for updates. The data transfer tool keeps just keeps crashing.

Edit: Tried flashing the pico package instead and now device health services keeps crashing.

Last edited:

CyberpodS2

Mar 27, 2012
NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Not judging but simply confused...

I see people not wanting to install twrp and it just makes no sense to me why I would want to limit my options and functionality.

It's been like almost a year since twrp had been totally stable for me with no decryption or touch issues.

Again, what is it folks are afraid of??

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Sony Xperia Z3v
I'm digging how clean and fast this ROM is. Hopefully you get your server issues resolved soon.

So do I... We already have a new host because we're fed up with the old one. Currently waiting for the old one to finally answer our support ticket and bring the server back on so we can move our data to the new server and can call it a day with the old host.

Bilge656

Jul 4, 2012
Has anyone tried installing NanoDroid with this?

I went from factory image -> flash rom -> flash twrp -> reboot recovery -> flash magisk -> flash full nanodroid.zip

This leads to a bootloop until it boots back into recovery

Bilge656

Jul 4, 2012
When I try to set up any password, it does not let me proceed after the second test. Confirm gets grayed out

Last edited:

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Sony Xperia Z3v
Has anyone tried installing NanoDroid with this?

I went from factory image -> flash rom -> flash twrp -> reboot recovery -> flash magisk -> flash full nanodroid.zip

This leads to a bootloop until it boots back into recovery

The issue here would be magisk. You usually need to boot to the system at least once before you can sucessfully flash Magisk. Don't know the reasons but it's seems to be an ongoing theme on A/B devices. Same happens on my OP6 and 6T

Bilge656

Jul 4, 2012
The issue here would be magisk. You usually need to boot to the system at least once before you can sucessfully flash Magisk. Don't know the reasons but it's seems to be an ongoing theme on A/B devices. Same happens on my OP6 and 6T

So theoretically I need flash the rom in 'A,' flash magisk on 'B', boot into the system once, reboot recovery into 'B,' and then install nanodroid?

Edit: Well I ignored Magisk and rebooted to recovery to install nanodroid after rom installation and it booted back into recovery unfortunately.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    uK2Q5sA.png

CarbonROM is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look, build, and use our code at CarbonROM's GitHub...

Disclaimer:
    While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! These builds are experimental and can contain Bugs (as listed above). Make sure to do backups.

Support:
    We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.
    2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ
    3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.
    4) Join our Discord server or Telegram group! There, you can connect with other Carbon users and our developers, and you can get quicker responses to your bug reports. The invite link is right below.

Download
    Join the CarbonROM Discord server
    Meet us on Telegram
    Homepage
    GitHub
    Kernel source

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
    CarbonROM, ROM for the Google Pixel 2 XL

Contributors
    Myself5, CarbonROM
    Source Code: https://github.com/CarbonROM

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2019-04-09
    Last Updated 2019-08-28
    Fyi your post isn't loading on the XDA app.
    After you posted now it's working lol. Strange man strange. Carry on with flashing peeps.

Haha, weird things.

What gapps do you recommend for this ROM. It has been a while since I ran carbon.

I recommend OpenGapps.

Flashing procedure is
    Flash Carbon
    Flash TWRP
    Reboot to recovery (this switches slots, it's important)
    Flash GApps
    Done
    DD

This ROM is still the best daily driver ROM for the Pixel 2 XL, hands down. I have gone through and tested them all for at least a week. Carbon ROM has yet to let me down, crash, or bug out in any way. Not ONE issue to report, even the OTA function worked yesterday with the latest monthly release! I am very happy with this ROM!! Devs let me know what else I can do to support development other than the PayPal links on the website (I already gave a gift from the PP links) but I can help with testing, development, ETC.

I am THOROUGHLY impressed with this ROM!
    Wait, are you the same user who reported that on Discord? Still don't get why this is working for me. I'll look into it.

Managed to reproduce the issue now and it seems like I fixed it on my followup build. Fixes are pushed, so let me know how the next Weekly is doing for everyone.

Could you elaborate , please?
    I am having an issue with the OTA update. It starts downloading the zip, but after a moment i just stops and nothing more happens. Tried three times - no update seems possible. Any ideas? Can i safely update via downloading the zip an flashing in twrp? Thanks a lot!

For OTA issues: Try to delete local OTA data using the 3 dot menu -> Settings -> Maintenance inside CarbonDelta. You could however also manually download the zip and flash it inside TWRP. just be aware the procedure will be a little more complicated as you also need to reflash GApps and all other mods (like Magisk) that would usually just survive an OTA update done inside the system.

if you want to manually update though: Boot to TWRP, flash the ROM and the TWRP installer. Reboot to TWRP (You're on the opposite slot now). Flash GApps. Reboot to system. After that, reboot to TWRP and flash whatever mods you want (e.G. Magisk).
    It's a pretty clean and fast rom.
    Only thing is now playing doesn't work. Good rom otherwise.

Wait, are you the same user who reported that on Discord? Still don't get why this is working for me. I'll look into it.