If you received your G3, share your impressions here

Search This thread

Mr.Greg

Sep 19, 2010
Hello xda users,
Most of us are waiting this phone and want this phone. And of course before buying we should know some information about it, camera, display, battery life, etc. I was thinking about battery life of this phone, 3000mAh is enough for qhd screen, I know LG did some tricks about battery life, but anyway, dunno if will be ok for 1 day usage. I've seen other threads are allready open, Tmobile users, UK users, Indian users, etc, but will be awesome if those who received G3 will share here impressions, pro and cons of this device, will be very useful for many users to find more information about this phone :fingers-crossed:

Jun 3, 2014
I have a South Korea version of 3GB ram.

I'm not good at English
So I will summary for you by using 3 point.

1. QHD is overspec.
Almost Koreans think so too.
G3 has animation framedrop when window is changed than G2 (I have used G2)
But it is not serious for use.

2. Good Design
Almost Korean has same mind.
In my think, Design forgives all problem.
Ecstatic.

3. High Temperature
the cause is QHD. SD801 is want.
Power button is heated. Oh my Summer......

Nevertheless, launching sale record or populor of G3 is more hot than SGS5 in Korea.
I think it seems like victory of design.
(GS5 is called skin pore in Korea.)

Although There is a reason like Very cheap price for launching sale. (Limited period. But sgs5 has also sale at the same time)

Last edited:

Mr.Greg

Sep 19, 2010

I'm not good at English

1. QHD is overspec.

2. Good Design
Ecstatic.

3. High Temperature

Nevertheless, launching sale record or populor of G3 is more hot than SGS5 in Korea.

Although There is a reason like Very cheap price for launching sale. (Limited period. But sgs5 has also sale at the same time)
Sir, thanks for info. How is battery life? You said you had G2, how is compare to G2?

skynogi

Jun 26, 2013
I'm also a Korean user of G3, but wanted to share a different info about G3.

In South Korea, LG actually spread the G3 almost near $100 and 50K ppl actually bought this phone only after the launch, which was at May 28.
After that, lots of people talked about its' spec and negative stuffs.

1. QHD display.
Some people(but many) said QHD is overspec. Lg setted the sharpening too high that letters were too sharpy. But, seeing the websites in PC version was amazing. Also, people said some have 'yellowish' displays. Well, most phones were to blueish and the color temp was too high, and people are thinking that this was the normal value, but, our monitors in PCs' color temperture is the same as G3, and people are seeing the yellowish colors. However, there are people who have a more yellowish displays.

2. Battery
3K mAh battery was a big battery, however, playing a movie stimuneously, ran 8 hours of battery life. However, light users usually uses for 24 hours or more. Playing movies or games will dramatically decrease battery life. QHD display consumes lots of battery life.

3. Temperature
Few people experiences high temperature on just internet surfing.

4. Design
G3 is the best design ever and Gold is the best :)

5. Camera
DSLR uses 300 ppi to take a picture, but G3 uses 72 ppi, which compresses the pixels. Seeing in normal or zoom-out view is pretty, but you'll see compressed pixels when you zoom in.

- Overall(in my view)
Now, I want to say about what I felt about G3. The design is very pretty. The size of the phone is same as Note 2. The grap of the phone is better than Note 2. Gold is pretty, and Black is also pretty, but if you want to have some cases on your G3, white is the winner, cuz black and gold have very few options to wear some cases.
My display have no yellowish colors, no vertical lines, decent temperature, long battery life. I think I got the normal one. I am very happy to get G3 and I'm satisfied that I have no deflects on my phone as others have a lot. Happy Happy~

Mr.Greg

Sep 19, 2010
Skynogi, Sir, how are photos in low light?

Sent from my LG-E988 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Jiyeon90

Nov 8, 2012
"SG5 is called skin pore in Korea."
Hahaha this just made my day!.
Also, thank you for sharing your thoughts goldstar.
Sent from my Xperia Z1

Last edited:

J_Dutch

May 8, 2012
Zaltbommel
Well, this is all not very positive, i think i will reconsider buying one. Thank you guys for your thougts

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

liamR

Feb 14, 2007
How is the performance? Do you experience any lags or stuttering?

Thanks

catbear

Oct 19, 2007
Korea version bought in HK yesterday, F400K. The below review is not positive, but I really think i have a defect version. But my seller is refusing to let me compare with a different one, so I can't tell if it is a hardware or software issue.

* screen is gorgeous, although the sample video supplied by LG is way over sharpened, they still look nice, better than nexus 5
* camera quality is better, don't know about the laser, but definitely focusing faster and more accurate than nexus 5
* the phone holds very well and you don't feel it that much bigger compared to nexus 5 when holding, the buttons at the back are actually not bad, and you don't really need them a lot with the knock on/off feature.
* The phone lags big time compared to nexus 5. I can type much faster than the words showing up. It is so annoying that I wanted to go back to my old nexus 5. It is not so notable with the default LG keyboard, but I am using the google pinyin keyboard and it is slow as hell when typing Chinese. The same input method is butter smooth on nexus 5. I uninstalled all of the korean apps that i could and tried to stop every single process without any luck.
* Battery is not good although it maybe too early to tell. I used auto brightness with the level set to around 60(the level seems to also effect the overall auto brighness). No heavy use, just normal texting, browsing, and 15 minutes maps/gps. A full charge went down to 20% with 1.5 hours screen on time. It was on battery for about 16 hours. I had to charge it today, next time i will report with a proper screenshot. I suspect it may have something to do with korea radio running on HK LTE nextwork.

Kawaisa

Oct 31, 2011
I'll save judgement

This lag when typing probably isn't "normal," it'd be nice if he could get his hands on another one.

Mr.Greg

Sep 19, 2010
As mentioned earlier, I really think mine has some serious software or hardware issues. I just disabled 5g wifi and LTE. My phone is now on the second fully charged battery with only normal wifi and 3g connections, will report back the battery status tomorrow :)
Sir, thanks for your small review, and post here tomorrow battery life. Also, can you do some photos in low light and see how is quality?

Jiyeon90

Nov 8, 2012
From what I have read so far battery life seems to be the same as the Z1, which is decent for a 2k display, but I would have preferred to have a a 1080p display with sick battery life

Sent from my Xperia Z1

J_Dutch

May 8, 2012
Zaltbommel
As mentioned earlier, I really think mine has some serious software or hardware issues. I just disabled 5g wifi and LTE. My phone is now on the second fully charged battery with only normal wifi and 3g connections, will report back the battery status tomorrow :)

Thank you for your review. Especially since I also have a nexus 5 which is hard to beat, only the camera is crap. Is the camera better then the nexus 5 camera? Focus is off at 7 out of 10 on nexus 5.

Anyway, your device must be faulty and if not...well then LG is done after delivering such peace of s*** I hope you can get your hands on another one.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

Fir3blade

May 16, 2011

Yes but none of the reviews/experiences in this thread are really good/positive.
Hoping for more first hand experience, but I am not too excited any more.
Thank you for your responses to all who posted their perspective on here, and please keep on sharing your thoughts!

bobbarker2

Aug 30, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Yes but none of the reviews/experiences in this thread are really good/positive.
Hoping for more first hand experience, but I am not too excited any more.
Thank you for your responses to all who posted their perspective on here, and please keep on sharing your thoughts!

I'd reserve judgment until we see some first hand experiences in EU/US. From the sounds of this thread, it sounds like LG rushed the G3 in Korean market and there are problems.

Fir3blade

May 16, 2011
I'd reserve judgment until we see some first hand experiences in EU/US. From the sounds of this thread, it sounds like LG rushed the G3 in Korean market and there are problems.

Sure, it's too early for judgment, but I doubt LG will be able to fix the issues.
This QHD screen is totally unnecessary, but will cause problems like lag, heat and less battery life.
Don't get me wrong, I own a G2 and want the G3 so bad...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm not good at English

1. QHD is overspec.

2. Good Design
    Ecstatic.

3. High Temperature

I'm also a Korean user of G3, but wanted to share a different info about G3.

In South Korea, LG actually spread the G3 almost near $100 and 50K ppl actually bought this phone only after the launch, which was at May 28.
    After that, lots of people talked about its' spec and negative stuffs.

1. QHD display.
    Some people(but many) said QHD is overspec. Lg setted the sharpening too high that letters were too sharpy. But, seeing the websites in PC version was amazing. Also, people said some have 'yellowish' displays. Well, most phones were to blueish and the color temp was too high, and people are thinking that this was the normal value, but, our monitors in PCs' color temperture is the same as G3, and people are seeing the yellowish colors. However, there are people who have a more yellowish displays.

2. Battery
    3K mAh battery was a big battery, however, playing a movie stimuneously, ran 8 hours of battery life. However, light users usually uses for 24 hours or more. Playing movies or games will dramatically decrease battery life. QHD display consumes lots of battery life.

3. Temperature
    Few people experiences high temperature on just internet surfing.

4. Design
    G3 is the best design ever and Gold is the best :)

5. Camera
    DSLR uses 300 ppi to take a picture, but G3 uses 72 ppi, which compresses the pixels. Seeing in normal or zoom-out view is pretty, but you'll see compressed pixels when you zoom in.

- Overall(in my view)
    Now, I want to say about what I felt about G3. The design is very pretty. The size of the phone is same as Note 2. The grap of the phone is better than Note 2. Gold is pretty, and Black is also pretty, but if you want to have some cases on your G3, white is the winner, cuz black and gold have very few options to wear some cases.
    My display have no yellowish colors, no vertical lines, decent temperature, long battery life. I think I got the normal one. I am very happy to get G3 and I'm satisfied that I have no deflects on my phone as others have a lot. Happy Happy~
    LG G3 F400S White

Just picked up the korean version of the phone in hong kong. i've used it for about 8 hours now since i've purchased it so i'm not too familiar with the phone yet. but here are my initial thoughts

Display/UI: the 1440p display is really sharp, colours are vivid. the UI is simple yet pleases the eye. This is my first time using a LG android device, but their UI do take some time to get used to so can't really comment on that. I haven't experienced any lags what-so-ever and apps seem to run as smooth as butter on this device. Watched the 2k videos provided by LG and I was very pleased with the display. Putting it beside my Xperia Z, i can notice that the images are indeed sharper.

connection: 4G was strong on my F400/S variant. I got a connection once i booted it up and only auto-switched to 3G a couple of times when I entered and exited elevators. Calls were clear on both ends.

Battery/Heat: i've read from previous members posting about battery issues but thankfully, I can claim that mine is working really well. i'm still on my first battery, which came charged at around 40% (picked up the phone at 5pm). i played with the phone on my way home (dropped to 36% in 30 min of use) and plugged it in for around 30 minutes before i headed back out again (40 something%). it's now almost 2am in hong kong and after 7 hours or so i still have 10% remaining from a 45%~ battery. During the time i was out, i kept bringing the phone out to show my friends and the phone was under heavy use. so i can say the battery is quite impressive.

On the temperature related topic. i haven not experienced any heating up with the phone on regular use. so far i've only used whatsapp most of the time, watched a few short 2k clips, used the camera for a bit, and downloaded a couple of apps from the play store.

Camera:The camera is really snappy. it focused on objects very quickly and photos came out nicely even under less than average lighting. Taking selfies was quite fun with the hand gesture but i'm guessing that will wear out over time. I've yet to fully utilize the rest of the camera so no further comments.

Size/how it feels in the hand: the phone is amazingly small for a 5.5 inch display. Its just a tiny bit taller and wider than my Xperia Z. The phone feels lighter and easier to hold at 149g than my Z that weights 146g. i'm guessing the overall design and the curved back has a lot to do with this. The back buttons however are a little hard to press. its hard for me to feel exactly where the power button and volume up down keys are. May be because this is my first LG that has the back button design.

Hope this helps some of you guys in deciding whether or not this is the phone for you or if this is have delivered what LG has promised. i'll post some updates after a few days of usage.
    I received my G3 (32GB, gold) on friday from digitec, switzerland.
    During the last two days I was able to test the hell out of my G3. In summary, I am very satisfied.

Below I would like to give a little respond to the questions above and share my experiences.

Display
    Although it seems apparently not as bright as other Android is the part for this size simply bright!
    Those who find something to complain about here, criticizes on a very very high level.

The resolution is also a stunner, first you have to get used to it, it looks almost too sharp :D.
    If here are some more apps to follow with the support of qHD it will be hard to top the display in the this field.
    Despite the many pixels on my G3 no pixel errors exist, so far ...

The colors are top in my eyes, the colors are still real and not exaggerated saturated.
    White is also very pleasant to look at, I would compare it to the color of heat with my iMac 27 ', so what is already very good.

Attached you will find a comparison with my old G2, I like the warmth color of the G3 more!
    attachment.php

Hardware
    In short, also very satisfactory. No lag, great camera and the battery will show its potential in the next few days.

The processing of the G3 compared to G2 really is phenomenal. The G2 could each easily push in the back, the new G3 everything is now so firmly built that the back can not be push in.

Battery
    Although it may be a bit early yet, I now needed to charge the battery once.
    From the packaging it came with a load of almost 60%, after the establishment with all apps, data, and e-mail accounts, the battery was after 2 hours of screen-on and warm hardware at nearly 30%.

On Friday night I needed to charge the G3, yesterday I used it the whole day.

I attached you a couple of screenshots, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and mobile networks (4G/3G/2G) always active. Display to 100%, with the auto function.
    A lot of Facebook, WhatsApp, Feedly and Gmail.

Software
    So far I am thrilled, with the G2 I have used the Nova Launcher, but currently I seed no need to change the launcher.
    I hope we will receive "Beautiful Icon Styler" support for our G3.

The software runs roughly speaking quite fluently, the camera opens quickly, animations are clean and smooth. Overall the new interface looks much more mature.

In the Notification-center you can now hide the volume and brightness controls without any mods. Thats how it should be!

Only I was allowed to experience a total crash twice, once after switching off and immediately re-activate with Knock-code and the second times when shooting a picture, pushed the back button, and finally Power button. After 2 min again tried to throw and display was dead, even long press the power button did not return the gold piece. Only the take out the battery brought remedy and the G3 started clean again.

There hopefully will be an update from LG ...

For those who are undecided with the color, I've also attached a few more pictures, as a comparison with a white sheet of paper. The gold is very mature and certainly not too intrusive. I was skeptical at the pre-order, but now I must say I really love the golden, looks really great :good:
    I just got a g3 in Korea and mine does not lag at all. Zero. As for the screen, it is gorgeous to look at but I would not have minded lg sticking with 1080p. It would have ran a little cooler and have had multiple benefits.

Battery life is acceptable. Is it the best battery life I ever experienced? No. Is it the worse? Not by a long shot. I have been off the charger for 6 hrs and I'm still running at 72 percent. I'm a pretty heavy user since I trade stocks every minute And take awesome selfies. I'm just kidding about the selfies.

The keyboard by the way is impressive. I haven't even bothered to download the stock Google keyboard. I don't think I will. I never liked how the Korean keyboard worked on Google's own anyway.

Gaming is really a treat too. I have a feeling it switches to 1080p but I'm not too positive on that. Camera laser focus is nice if you are the type who looks for quick zooming capabilities and like to shoot at low light.

Anyways this phone is a knocker. No pun intended. I hope you guys will enjoy it once it arrives in your area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app