best xperia play case

Search This thread

narflynn619

May 25, 2011
On board Nebuchadnezzar.

Due to many users' positive review about this case I bought two cases (so I'll have a spare) for my Play. While it makes the phone slimmer compared to when it's fitted with Trident, I don't think it's the best I've ever had. The right side (on the shoulder buttons) of the rear case, the rubber lining doesn't perfectly 'hug' the phone's body. It feels very constricting for the phone. Also, I noticed the bottom rubber lining of the front case is separating from the main body of the front case as evidenced by 'cutting' patterns of the lining. I thought it was a minor defect so I took the front piece of the other set that I bought. That one had no issues like the one I mentioned but upon fitting it untp the phone the same thing happened. I think this is because the case is too tight for the Play.

The Trident Aegis is STILL the best in my opinion.

I am still to try the Amzer(?) Shellster very soon. Anyone of you guys got a review for that?

FridForce

Jan 8, 2015
I've got one of those 3.600 huge batteries, is there any case to fit my phone?

Sent from my thl 5000 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    well i just got my trident case... AND ITS SO GODDAMN GORGEOUS

@_@

It even hides the XPs mysterious hump .

I dont want to admit it but this might be worth the 24 usd i spent...

edit
    just noticed it covers the led! well that's a shame ;_;, didn't use it much but it was still nice to have.

compared to my other cases I actually find the hardware keys easy to press ;p.
    Verizon Xperia PLAY Hard Cover > All

gedc0034be.jpg

gedc0036f.jpg

gedc0042r.jpg

gedc0043s.jpg

It's not very heavy, doesn't add much bulk, the back naturally takes the battery cover with it so you aren't dual-disassembling to get to your battery, and it functions well without blocking off any buttons or making L/R keys harder to access (like SO many others do).

Additionally... it's just good-looking! I swear a lot of the cases were just too damn fugly to care how well they protected the phone; this offers protection, ease of use and doesn't make your phone look hideous :)

it looks weirder if it falls down without a case and blasts into a thousand pieces...
    Ok, so after reading through the 10 pages of replies in this thread, I'm thinking of buying the Trident Aegis Case.
    Its going to cost between 20-25 GBP to import from the USA, which isn't at all cheap for a case, seeing as though its mostly made up of a small amount of plastic and cloth. I guess the bulk of the cost is in R&D and the brand name.

I do have a few questions that hopefully somebody can assist me with:
    1. Does the case make the phone less or more comfortable than without? I dislike the shiny/slipperiness of the stock fascia.
    2. Is sliding the gamepad out impaired at all by this case?
    3. I hear that the speakers are somewhat blocked off by this case, but to what extent? does it considerably reduce the sound level or quality?
    4. Is pressing the R1/R2, volume and power buttons any more or less difficult with this case than without?
    5. What about temperatures of the phones components. I expect any case to affect them to a certain degree, but what about with this case, playing games with it on and such, is it going to overheat and decrease the life of the device?
    6. Is there anything else that I should be aware of? being unsatisfied with a case of this price, and after having to import it from overseas, isn't something I want to happen, obviously.

I always leave thanks for helpful replies.

Okay, so I've been using my red-colored Trident Aegis case for the Xperia PLAY since February 3, 2012, to be exact, and here are my answers to your questions:

Q: Does the case make the phone less or more comfortable than without? I dislike the shiny/slipperiness of the stock fascia.
    A: I kinda miss the way my Xperia PLAY looked and felt when handled back when I didn't have my Trident case yet. It just looks so sexy and you can't deny that. Remember that the case makes the phone really bulky, to the extent that I already consider the Xperia PLAY slim when in fact it is thick compared to other phones. As for me, since I have big hands, it feels really comfortable to hold, especially when playing a game, as there will be less strain on your pointy when using the L/R triggers because they just rest over the added bulk given by the case.

Q: Is sliding the gamepad out impaired at all by this case?
    A: Definitely NOT! The sliding mechanism is the same without the case: SMOOTH. No grinding like Otterbox does. ;)

Q: I hear that the speakers are somewhat blocked off by this case, but to what extent? does it considerably reduce the sound level or quality?
    A: As a musician, sound matters a lot for me. I came from using a long line of Walkman phones before coming to Android. You can barely hear the difference.

Q: Is pressing the R1/R2, volume and power buttons any more or less difficult with this case than without?
    A: As for the triggers, nothing's changed because they're exposed. For the power button and the volume rocker, I think they're easier to press with the case on. (Heard about the issue on the Xperia PLAY's volume rocker falling off? Trident case holds it in place.)

Q: What about temperatures of the phones components. I expect any case to affect them to a certain degree, but what about with this case, playing games with it on and such, is it going to overheat and decrease the life of the device?
    A: I don't know much about how heating affects life of the device QUANTITATIVELY, but as for temperatures, I max out at 35-38 degrees without the case, while 40-49 degrees with the case :( (though not always, I know heating reduces battery life). Heating is always a concern in every single brand of case. And oh, it heats like that maybe because here in the Philippines, it's awesomely hot you'd want to bunk in a bathtub for the rest of your life! :D

Q: Is there anything else that I should be aware of? being unsatisfied with a case of this price, and after having to import it from overseas, isn't something I want to happen, obviously.
    A: Overseas? Aren't you from the US? My Trident case came from Chino, California. :confused:
    Really, you won't ever regret having the case. I live in the Philippines and it came across Pacific from California, and no regrets whatsoever! AND PLANNING TO BUY AGAIN THE BLACK ONE! ;)

PS, it's pretty hard, I dropped my phone face down and everything's intact. ;)

EDIT: Sorry, you're from UK, I didn't notice your flag. My bad. ;)