[MOD] HULU Flash Hack - Flashex 2.05(5/2/12) Auto Hex-edit libflashplayer.so

Search This thread

psych2l

May 25, 2010
Boston
I can confirm this works on my Transformer Infinity, although I had to install an older version of Busybox (1.19.3 specifically) because the latest version was missing cat, hexdump, and rm

ThunderRootedDragon

Jul 21, 2011
I confirm that this works on my GSM Galaxy Nexus with Jellybean (4.1.1). All you have to do is:

1) Install Flash Player 11.1 [here]
2) Download Flashex205.zip
3) Extract the Flashex2 folder and place on Internal SD Card
4) Run the script (I ran it with Rom Toolbox Pro)
5) Finally in stock browser, go to hulu.com, hit menu, then hit request desktop site.

Okay, a bit upsetting as I never got this to work on my Prime or thunderbolt...ran the script via SM...calrification point, before trying for like the 5th time, this hack allows you to watch Hulu tv WITHOUT a paid subscription, correct? So all I have to do is the hack and I'm golden?

Joecascio2000

Okay, a bit upsetting as I never got this to work on my Prime or thunderbolt...ran the script via SM...calrification point, before trying for like the 5th time, this hack allows you to watch Hulu tv WITHOUT a paid subscription, correct? So all I have to do is the hack and I'm golden?

Yeah, you can watch anything that's on hulu.com without hulu plus. Make sure you have the latest SU Binaries and update busybox. Also make sure you run it with superuser (su).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

ThunderRootedDragon

Jul 21, 2011
For the 5th try...got audio to work on colbert report after successfully running the script...All I get is a black screen and audio...running TShed 1.6 imoseyon kernel on my Thunderbolt...I am def running the script correctly and have flash 11. Still give props to OP but this has yet to work for me in all 5 attempts.

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
For the 5th try...got audio to work on colbert report after successfully running the script...All I get is a black screen and audio...running TShed 1.6 imoseyon kernel on my Thunderbolt...I am def running the script correctly and have flash 11. Still give props to OP but this has yet to work for me in all 5 attempts.

Well this is in the a100 forum....

Anyways you never mentioned if hulu works without this mod, if you haven't tried I suggest you do before saying this is broke when its something else.

Tapatalked from my Kindle Fire - Jellytime AOSP

ThunderRootedDragon

Jul 21, 2011
Well this is in the a100 forum....

Anyways you never mentioned if hulu works without this mod, if you haven't tried I suggest you do before saying this is broke when its something else.

Tapatalked from my Kindle Fire - Jellytime AOSP

Right, clearly the A100 forum, but if you haven't noticed the hack is for the list of devices mentioned in the OP and most others not listed. I did not say it was broke, clearly not the case...but broke for me nontheless...Hulu does not work on my prime or thunderbolt with and without the mod. Thanks for the help though.

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Right, clearly the A100 forum, but if you haven't noticed the hack is for the list of devices mentioned in the OP and most others not listed. I did not say it was broke, clearly not the case...but broke for me nontheless...Hulu does not work on my prime or thunderbolt with and without the mod. Thanks for the help though.

Oh you're right, I had forgotten the list my bad.

And apologies for putting words in your post, usually a post like that infers it being broken, which is why I asked if hulu worked anyways.

Tapatalked from my Galaxy S II.

ThunderRootedDragon

Jul 21, 2011
Oh you're right, I had forgotten the list my bad.

And apologies for putting words in your post, usually a post like that infers it being broken, which is why I asked if hulu worked anyways.

Tapatalked from my Galaxy S II.

Tis all bueno my brother...:cool:...I def hear what you're saying about common inferences about the half empty glass...

I do have a constructive question for OP or anybody who cares to share...is there a benefit to using the tar.gz & terminal (e.g. higher prob of success on tabs) over the zip or is the option just for the sake of choice?

Looking to happily try this again on my prime running aokp 6.1 stock kernel.

Joecascio2000

Tis all bueno my brother...:cool:...I def hear what you're saying about common inferences about the half empty glass...

I do have a constructive question for OP or anybody who cares to share...is there a benefit to using the tar.gz & terminal (e.g. higher prob of success on tabs) over the zip or is the option just for the sake of choice?

Looking to happily try this again on my prime running aokp 6.1 stock kernel.

I used the Zip version and just extracted it with Root Explorer. You said you got audio to work? If you did, then that's it. The problem is either your browser or the flash you have installed. This mod only gets you past the "Cannot watch on a mobile device" message that appears on all hulu videos. If you got past that then the issue is with something else.

ThunderRootedDragon

Jul 21, 2011
I used the Zip version and just extracted it with Root Explorer. You said you got audio to work? If you did, then that's it. The problem is either your browser or the flash you have installed. This mod only gets you past the "Cannot watch on a mobile device" message that appears on all hulu videos. If you got past that then the issue is with something else.

Oh yea!..I got this working on my prime...so siked...just tried a different browser, as suggested (used dolphin and stock with no success) but works with s skyfire...thanks!

One thing to note, it does jam up my browser making it unable to navigate anywhere else...no biggie; set cache to clear on exit and created a widget for the script and it works like a charm.

Reactions: pio_masaki

Mikerla

Dec 22, 2009
Can't get the script to run on infinity. Tried 205 and 204. See attached screen shot where it fails.

Running 9.4.5.26

Using script manager. Tried latest version of busybox as well as older versions per previous post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way I get the same error with 204 and 205.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-18-20-54-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-18-20-54-18.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 337

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
Install Busybox Installer https://play.google.com/store/apps/...DMsImNvbS5qcnVtbXkuYnVzeWJveC5pbnN0YWxsZXIiXQ..

and install Busybox version 1.19.3, then try running the script again.

Thanks as well! This did the trick. Although it only seems to like to play on Dolphin browser and not stock and Boat browser. It crashes when I use anything other then Dolphin... Oh well at least it works on Dolphin.

....:.........

Spoke to soon. Dolphin is also crashing now. Everytime I try to play a video it crashes. Anyone have any ideas?

WTF it's working again!? On top of that it worked on the native browser. I don't understand how it will work then not work and and work again?
I'm so confused:/

Screenshot_2012-08-29-15-19-56.png

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Can't get the script to run on infinity. Tried 205 and 204. See attached screen shot where it fails.

Running 9.4.5.26

Using script manager. Tried latest version of busybox as well as older versions per previous post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way I get the same error with 204 and 205.

I had the same issue trying to run it on my Infinity. But it appears if you install Busybox installer in playstore. And reinstall latest through there it should work. As it did for me.

Last edited:

JoshClarke

Dec 23, 2010
Beaverton
I need some help. The script installs fine, but when I attempt to watch a video on Hulu, the stock browser just closes. No force close messages. It just closes. It only happens when I open the page on Hulu with the actual video on it. How can I fix this?

P.S. For my own knowledge, how do I remove all traces of this script?

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
I need some help. The script installs fine, but when I attempt to watch a video on Hulu, the stock browser just closes. No force close messages. It just closes. It only happens when I open the page on Hulu with the actual video on it. How can I fix this?

P.S. For my own knowledge, how do I remove all traces of this script?

Same thing happening to me with my Infinity. It closes with no warnings. Although it works when I go directly to the page of what I am watching. Try Dolphin browser. It seems to like that one more then the others. To remove, just remove the flash file that you placed on mnt/sdcard/flashhex2 remove script manager then reboot or cold boot. Hoping it will be more accommodating once JB lands.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoshClarke

JoshClarke

Dec 23, 2010
Beaverton
Same thing happening to me with my Infinity. It closes with no warnings. Although it works when I go directly to the page of what I am watching. Try Dolphin browser. It seems to like that one more then the others. To remove, just remove the flash file that you placed on mnt/sdcard/flashhex2 remove script manager then reboot or cold boot. Hoping it will be more accommodating once JB lands.

Am I to assume that libflashplayer.so is replaced with a reboot? I've removed the script and rebooted and my browser is still crashing when I visit Hulu.

ThunderRootedDragon

Jul 21, 2011
Okay. I'm back, trying to get this running on my shiny new S3...to be clear I've had success running this on my prime... Script indicates applet cannot be found. I'll try to get a screen shot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
Am I to assume that libflashplayer.so is replaced with a reboot? I've removed the script and rebooted and my browser is still crashing when I visit Hulu.

Don't give up! This time use busybox installer and install 1.19.3 if you have other ver. installed. This has stopped all that force closing for me... for the meantime. testing it more.

uploadfromtaptalk1347077857135.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1347077882498.jpg

illego

Aug 12, 2010
Okay. I'm back, trying to get this running on my shiny new S3...to be clear I've had success running this on my prime... Script indicates applet cannot be found. I'll try to get a screen shot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Just got it working on my gs3. I am assuming that you've installed busybox and tried to run it before you got that message. It looks like busybox is installed in system/bin. The script is looking for system/xbin. Tried installing busybox to xbin but that did not work.
Ended up editing the script. Look for the line with the Busybox location and change it to system/bin from xbin.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: pio_masaki

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FLASHEX 2.05 (unified release 4)(Release Date: 5/2/2012)

Description
    Flashex is designed to allow people using an Android device to watch hulu and some other restricted sites with Adobe Flash Player and a properly configured web browser as if it was a Windows PC. Dolphin HD Stock Browser(choose "request desktop site" in menu each time) is a good choice but any browser that allows you to act as Desktop via settings should work.

Note: Dolphin HD has some issues with full screen video at the moment so I have switched over to useing the stock browser and selecting "request desktop site" from the upper right-hand menu for now this works and has good full screen performance on FlexReaper and Stock ICS 4.0.3.

How it works
    The script will look for libflashplayer.so then attempt to create a copy, edit the copy, and copy the edited version back. It stores the edited copy, and writes it over the default file each time it's run. It will check the version of the current libflashplayer.so file each time before it copies the edited version over. If libflashplayer.so's version has been upgraded or downgraded it will make a new copy, edit, write it back and store the new one to use each time. I suggest using Script Manager to run the script at boot once you run it the first time manually to make the first edited copy.

What's New in Version 2.05?

-Added a few more checks for libflashplayer.so to help improve troubleshooting and configuring on different ROMs and to eliminate the possibility of a hang if libflashplayer.so is not readable.
    (Still waiting on feed back and/or -x mode debug output reports. feel free post them or better yet PM them to me)

What's New in Version 2.04?

-Added support for Custom BusyBox from CynogenMod (BusyBox 1.19.4-cm9) when testing the Busybox version

What's New in Version 2.03?

-Added checks to verify Busybox location, permisssions, and version to verify compatability and inform the user if they need to update/reinstall busybox or make a configuration change.

-Various minor refinements.

-Can now safely be test run on ANY device since it will verify the location of all required elements prior to performing any task.
    NOTE: This doesnt mean it will enable hulu on an old 500mhz 2.2 device, just that it should be safe to use to modify Adobe Flash on any device capable of properly running it.(If your Adobe Flash is installed in a diffrent location you will need to configure the script to point it's install directory, or put a copy of your libflashplayer.so file into the Flashex2 directory and name it AND_libflashplayer.so and copy the resulting WIN_libflashplayer.so back by hand if you prefer.)

What was new in Version 2.02?

-Fixed various typoes in output messages

-Added a fix for people having issues with strings, grep etc returning as not found when /system/xbin is either not in the users default $PATH or is too low in the list to get used.

What was new in Version 2.01?

-Many minor bug fixes

-Scripts have been unified into a single script.

-Made some changes to how version checking is done

-Script is safer, more reliable, and easier to use over all.(at least IMO hehe)

-Automatic re-edit of edited source file, when either an upgrade or downgrade is detected. This allows the script to be run at boot via Script Manager, or other while still leaving, Adobe Flash to auto update.

-Script is now a single executable file that will both hex edit Adobe Flash(each update), and copy the edited file over to /data when needed.

-Improved version detection

-Improved output messages

Some notes on running during bootup
    Once you have decompressed the Flashex2 folder and flashex.sh script to /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2 you will be able to run it automatically at boot via Script Manager if you wish. I currently have been using it this way. I have tested it performing the hexedit during a boot up. It works fine.

Known Limitation
    Note: This only applies to auto-running the script via Script Manager, Cron, what ever It takes about 2 minutes with a Tegra 2 to complete the hexedit of the file.
    Because of this when booting after an update to libflashplayer.so it will be editing the file for a min or two after your home screen shows. You will want to wait 3 min or so to be safe before you try to use Adobe Flash. This will ONLY happen when the version changes. Since Adobe Flash isn't changed that often it's not a big deal.

The rest of the time, it will be the same version so it will just take a few seconds to copy the file over. This allows you to just watch when you like even right after a system boot.

Install Instructions

Quick Directions:
    Download file, unzip/extract the Flashex2 folder and it's contents, copy it to the sdcard to end up with /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2/flashex.sh. Run flashex.sh as root. Set web browser to Desktop. Enjoy watching hulu.

Full Directions:

When using Flashex205.zip via a File Manager like Astro for example.
    1) Either download Flashex204b.zip directly to your tablet, or copy it to a micro SD card via PC.(note: you could unzip the contents in Windows if you prefer)

2) Save, Copy or Move Flashex205.zip to /mnt/sdcard/ It has a folder inside already of the correct name.

3) Open Flashex205.zip, then copy/paste the whole folder to /mnt/sdcard/
    Note: After you do this you should have a folder named Flashex2 on your internal sdcard example: /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2

4) Inside the Flashex2 folder from the zipfile is flashex.sh

5) run flashex.sh either via terminal emulator or with an app like Script Manager.

The script "can" be run without root, BUT it will only make the hexedited file. It MUST be run as root if you also want the script to install the edited file so you can watch hulu. You can also copy the file by hand.

When using flashex205.tar.gz via a terminal emulator do the following.

1) Either download the file directly to your tablet, or copy it to a micro SD card.

2) Copy or Move the file to /mnt/sdcard/
    example(copy): cp /mnt/external_sd/flashex205.tar.gz /mnt/sdcard/
    example(move): mv /mnt/external_sd/flashex205.tar.gz /mnt/sdcard/

3) unzip and untar the Flashex folder and flashex.sh script from flashex205.tar.gz
    gzip -d /mnt/sdcard/flashex205.tar.gz
    tar -xvf /mnt/sdcard/flashex205.tar

Note: If you get an error saying not found. Your trying to install it in a diffrent location then it's currently configured you can probably figure out how to make it work easy enough. Just remember to set the path to the script inside the script it's self so it knows where make/read the edited file.

4) Now change working directories and run the script.
    cd /mnt/sdcard/Flashex2

5) Run the script(su is optional, but running as root it wont copy the edited file over)
    su
    sh flashex.sh

Note: I suggest using sh before the script name though it's not nessesary if the path to sh at the top of the script matches yours.

Confirmed Compatable Device List(Make sure you are rooted if you want to use the script to install the modified file)

Acer Iconia A100, A200, A500 HC or ICS, FlexReaper ------ Use Latest Version
    Samsung Galaxy S 4G rooted modified Gingerbread 2.3 --- Use Latest Version
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE ----------------------------------- Use Latest Version
    Asus Eepad Transformer Prime ------------------------------- Use Version 2.2 or Latest Version
    Motorola Droid Razr ------------------------------------------- Use Latest Version
    HTC EVO 3D --------------------------------------------------- Use Latest Version
    HTC EVO 4G running mikg v11 ------------------------------- Use Latest Version

Note: Any Device that is compatable with Adobe Flash and capable of playing hulu videos(500 Mhz or better ARM7 CPU 256 MB ram, Android 2.2 or better) that has been rooted and has busybox installed should be compatable

If you are attempting to use a Busybox older then v1.18.1 You will have to change a value at the top of the script before attempting to run it since I'm not sure how old of versions are 100% compatible.
    ===============================================
    ATTN: SUPPORT, QUESTIONS, COMMENTS
    If you need help getting it to work for your device and cant post in this section you can follow this
    ->SUPPORT LINK HERE

You can PM me or you can also try me on Twitter

Legal Info
    Flashex205.sh was made by NoSudo for personal use
    anyone may use it or change it but I retain creative
    licence for my work. You should only take credit for your
    changes.

I take no reponsablility for anyone elses actions. If you break
    something or violate any rules it's on you.

If you wish to try and make money on it or use it for any comercial
    venture I expect to be contacted and informed so I may negociate
    an acceptable for profit licence with compensation.

This software is FREE and yours to enjoy, give away, edit, use for Non-Profit purposes ONLY.

A NOTE ON VERSIONS!
    I recommend the use of the latest version Flashex204.sh. If you have old versions installed. MAKE SURE YOU RUN THE RIGHT ONE. It's up you to reconfigure Script Manager etc. so don't forget or it will keep running the old one.

ALSO Please remember to hit that Thanks button if you find my script useful.
    Thanks for this. Confirmed working on Nexus 10 tablets.

I've also posted a noob-friendly tutorial using your script on the Nexus10 XDA forum: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2099327
    This isn't the current ICS method everyone is switching to is it?

I was going to upgrade from HC to ICS, but if I will end up stuck with some fubar Busybox I don't think I'm interested.

Any version of busybox will work with rooted ICS. ZeroNull found a way to mount /system writable and used a script to replace busybox mount and /system/bin/mount. The usual "mount -o remount,rw /system" doesn't work but "mount -o remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system/" is one of a few other ways that do work. I'm using busybox 1.20 compiled from source and use a modified version of ZeroNull's mount.sh as /system/bin/mount and /system/xbin/mount.
    Works Great, crashes on Full screen mode in most browsers though

This works for Amazon Prime Instant Videos as well... just an FYI!:eek::D
    I have been doing a little version testing.

I can confirm that flashex v2.01 does edit other versions so far I have tested it with. I just tested with 11.1.115.7 and it works fine via xxd. Im going to test on Android with Busybox's hexdump next.

I can also confirm that it works on 11.1.111.8 since my tablet just auto-updated. I simply ran the script and updated my hexed version from 11.1.111.7 to 11.1.111.8 as designed.:D