Flickering screen

Search This thread

mertzi

Jul 8, 2011
does it flicker more for you when you touch the screen? For me it's most noticeable when i'm scrolling slowly, e.g. when in the settings menu, or the twitter app. Try scrolling very slow up or down in settings, for me it flickers a lot, but as said earlier only on low brightness. Another thing I can't understand, if not everyone has this how can it be software related?

JimmyEatFood

does it flicker more for you when you touch the screen? For me it's most noticeable when i'm scrolling slowly, e.g. when in the settings menu, or the twitter app. Try scrolling very slow up or down in settings, for me it flickers a lot, but as said earlier only on low brightness. Another thing I can't understand, if not everyone has this how can it be software related?

Nope, it's constant for me now. It's worsened over the last few days.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

JimmyEatFood

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with the display flickering. The reason for this is a software fault.

In order to rectify this I would like you to back-up your data and perform a hard reset please follow these steps:

- If your phone is tied to a Google account, your contacts, calendar events, downloaded apps, wireless settings can be backed up, if you have entered your Google account details in the initial set-up screens. Please go to , Menu, Settings, Accounts & Sync, tap on your Google account, then tap 'Sync now' you will see some spinning circular arrows for a short while, this just means your data is being saved to Google. When the arrows have finished spinning, the data has been backed-up (double check this).

- Or back up your contacts to the S.D card (For Android 2.1 or later) by following these steps; From the home screen tap All Applications. Scroll to and tap People. Tap Menu. Tap Import/Export. Tap Export to SD card. Select which contact Group to export (Phone, Google, SIM etc.). Tap OK.

- Available from the android market is a free application to enable you to back up your SMS messages if desired.

- Images and music can be backed up by plugging your phone into the computer and selecting disk drive mode. After this you can 'drag and drop' files to and from your computer to your phone. Make sure you select USB Debugging in Settings > Applications > Development before connecting your phone to the computer.

Now your phone is backed up we can perform the hard reset, all data will be lost that is not backed up on your S.D/SIM cards or online will be lost.

- Hard reset on Android From the Home screen, press the Menu key> Tap Settings> Tap SD & phone storage> Tap Factory data reset> Tap Reset phone.

The reason I have asked you to do this is because though it may seem a bit extreme this is the best method for dealing with your problem.

If this does not resolve your issue I think it would be best if best to either have the retailer replace the device or send the device to us for repair.

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with the display flickering. The reason for this is a software fault.

In order to rectify this I would like you to back-up your data and perform a hard reset please follow these steps:

- If your phone is tied to a Google account, your contacts, calendar events, downloaded apps, wireless settings can be backed up, if you have entered your Google account details in the initial set-up screens. Please go to , Menu, Settings, Accounts & Sync, tap on your Google account, then tap 'Sync now' you will see some spinning circular arrows for a short while, this just means your data is being saved to Google. When the arrows have finished spinning, the data has been backed-up (double check this).

- Or back up your contacts to the S.D card (For Android 2.1 or later) by following these steps; From the home screen tap All Applications. Scroll to and tap People. Tap Menu. Tap Import/Export. Tap Export to SD card. Select which contact Group to export (Phone, Google, SIM etc.). Tap OK.

- Available from the android market is a free application to enable you to back up your SMS messages if desired.

- Images and music can be backed up by plugging your phone into the computer and selecting disk drive mode. After this you can 'drag and drop' files to and from your computer to your phone. Make sure you select USB Debugging in Settings > Applications > Development before connecting your phone to the computer.

Now your phone is backed up we can perform the hard reset, all data will be lost that is not backed up on your S.D/SIM cards or online will be lost.

- Hard reset on Android From the Home screen, press the Menu key> Tap Settings> Tap SD & phone storage> Tap Factory data reset> Tap Reset phone.

The reason I have asked you to do this is because though it may seem a bit extreme this is the best method for dealing with your problem.

If this does not resolve your issue I think it would be best if best to either have the retailer replace the device or send the device to us for repair.

Just going to LOL at that to be honest. It's not going to fix the issue I've hard reset twice and has done nothing. That's the first thing the technical support asked me to do over at phones4u I told them I've done it already and will not solve the problem!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
Same. Got to wait 3-5 working days for the pre paid envelope, and then the same length for the new phone. Going to be over a week until I get to enjoy my phone properly. In the meantime, I am still hoping that the OTA will fix it.

Likewise buddy, let's see if an OTA comes before our pre paid envelopes. One other thing I've noticed is that when using the keyboard the button towards the bottom left in my example is the shift key on SwiftKey is a bit stiff to press like the screen is not registering my touch but a hard press solves this.

dr9722

Oct 8, 2008
Newhaven

That's the worst advice ever! IF this issue is software related then a factory reset will not make the blindest bit of difference. It's only going to cause people hassle getting there phone back the way they like it.

We currently have three options available to us:

1: Send back for a replacement.
2: Wait for HTC to release an update and hope it is in fact software related.
3: If it is hardware related then send the phone back to HTC for repair under the warranty.

Last edited:

JimmyEatFood

Likewise buddy, let's see if an OTA comes before our pre paid envelopes. One other thing I've noticed is that when using the keyboard the button towards the bottom left in my example is the shift key on SwiftKey is a bit stiff to press like the screen is not registering my touch but a hard press solves this.

Not got that issue. I maybe imagining it, I maybe not, but I can feel the phone 'pulsing' ever so slightly in time with the flickering. :confused::D

Gutted it's got to go back, but to be honest my battery life is appalling as well so I guess it's for the best.

joplayer

Aug 1, 2008
Valence
I have this problem and after a full charge i can barely notice it. So maybe an OTA can solve it ;)

Havoc2k

Dec 7, 2011
Munich
sound stupid, but same here....

charged it... flickering gone.

i just wait a fews days, if it stays gone -> root and custom rom if not -> return ;)

Reactions: joplayer

jimmga

Apr 11, 2012
Hi all, first post here on the forum.

I'm posting here because I had a flickering screen as described above (worse on high brightness with grey backgrounds). I swapped it and there was NO FLICKERING on my replacement handset. I tested this by going into settings-->display-->brightness and checking whether the grey background flickered as it did on my previous handset.
I should also mention I checked the display model in the shop, and it wasn't flickering either.
My new handset, however, has a yellow discolouration in the upper left hand corner and I'll be returning it as a DOA this afternoon.

I am now in posession of my 3rd HOX in a week (!!!) which is also a DOA. Issues with handsets listed are:

Handset #1 - small hairline crack in the LCD underneath the glass. Noticed in the shop, swapped straight away.

Handset #2 - Flickering issue.

Handset #3 - No flickering, but area of yellow discolouration in upper left hand corner of screen. Returning this afternoon.

So either I'm seriously unlucky, or HTC have seriously deficient quality control. I highly doubt the screen flickering issue you all have is a software issue, since I have seen at least 3 other handsets which don't have it.

I'll keep everyone posted on how my next one goes.

Hope this helps.

UPDATE: I now have handset #4, which seems to be free of the previous issues (unless I just jinxed it). Thankfully the guys at the shop were very helpful and replaced it on the spot without any hesitation each time.

Last edited:

znanev

Apr 13, 2012
UPDATE: I now have handset #4, which seems to be free of the previous issues (unless I just jinxed it). Thankfully the guys at the shop were very helpful and replaced it on the spot without any hesitation each time.

Can you please share which software version is your phone running with?

jimmga

Apr 11, 2012
handset #2 was ICS 4.0.3, bootloader unlocked via HTCdev and rooted with the clockwork mod recovery from MoDaCo. No custom ROMs were installed. The flickering was there before I rooted it, but it seemed to gradually worsen afterwards. Luckily I still got a replacement despite unlocking the bootloader.

All others were 100% stock 4.0.3.

Needless to say I'll be holding off getting amongst modding until a couple of months down the track, this is my first droid after being an iPhone user for several years.

d33f

Apr 18, 2010
Kerkrade, The Netherlands
handset #2 was ICS 4.0.3, bootloader unlocked via HTCdev and rooted with the clockwork mod recovery from MoDaCo. No custom ROMs were installed. The flickering was there before I rooted it, but it seemed to gradually worsen afterwards. Luckily I still got a replacement despite unlocking the bootloader.

All others were 100% stock 4.0.3.

Needless to say I'll be holding off getting amongst modding until a couple of months down the track, this is my first droid after being an iPhone user for several years.

Hmm doesn't sound good that the flickering is worsening after time, because today i also noticed flickering when brightness is on lowest settings + when putting the phone on charger. On max brightness (or auto) i don't have any flickering

d33f

Apr 18, 2010
Kerkrade, The Netherlands
Less tot none flickering with more charged battery

The more my battery is charged to less flickering is occurring it seems..

The flickering looks like it's having trouble to determine the exact brightness level, because sometimes when i play around with the brightness slider is goes to a much higher brightness level (above 50% when the slider is indicating is should be 20% or less) for a split second and then returning to 20% or less like it should be.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Serious screen prolems

I bought a HTC Once X and experienced some flickering on grays, for example when clicking on the homebutton twice, where you can see the gray empty screens. There is also a problem when watching youtube on fullscreen - there is some screen glitchng but as soon as i play video with the player controlls the problem disappeared. So i thought it was hardware error, and i returned the phone and got a new one. The same problems appear again on the the second phone. I hope this is a software/driver issue. The screen flickering also appears when you change window in the browser - the animation between two browserwindows. I have uploaded, several examples on youtube, so click on all to see the big picture.

Software information for the phone:
    Android version: 4.0.3
    HTC Sense version: 4.0
    Software number:1.26.401.2
    HTC SDK API level: 4.11
    HTC Extension version: HTCExtension_403_1_GA_3

Kernel Version: 2.6.39.4-G6B459DC root@ABM032 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 19 14:53:27 CST 2012
    Basebandversion: 1.1204.90.13
    Buildnumber: 1.26.401.2 CL47163 release-keys
    Browser version: WebKit/534.30

Watch the following videos below:

http://youtu.be/3jZJfTAcq2g
    http://youtu.be/4vCZAu8vsV0
    http://youtu.be/M3GierGP6a4
    http://youtu.be/x5rOumuieYM
    http://youtu.be/r8yuKi8nzV0

You can also watch the screenshots here:
    http://www.flukeworld.com/HTCOneX_Screenshot/Screenshot_1.jpg
    http://www.flukeworld.com/HTCOneX_Screenshot/Screenshot_2.jpg
    http://www.flukeworld.com/HTCOneX_Screenshot/Screenshot_3.jpg
    http://www.flukeworld.com/HTCOneX_Screenshot/Screenshot_4.jpg
    http://www.flukeworld.com/HTCOneX_Screenshot/Screenshot_5.jpg

Has anyone experienced this as well? I had it on both my phones, and i don't feel it's any use of returning the second one.
    I contacted HTC about the screen flickering issues few days back and they replied that we know a few such cases so this isn't a big deal.
    Today I contacted them again and they said, "

Thanks for the feedback, mohsinraza. We're looking
    into this issue. In the meantime, please get in
    touch with our CS team at http://htc.com/
    support and they should be able to troubleshoot
    your case individually.

UPDATE: 1.28 firmware is PERFECT. I've found 10+ people with 1.26 with buggy devices. Haven't found a single one who had bugs with 1.28.
    Any confirmation of my opinion?
    I think we need some proof of this? A screenshot or something; as nobody believes 1.28 is out as yet.

1.28 is out but only to the Asian market.
    There's an identical thread running in the general section. I posted this there. I'm reposting it here in case it helps provide some insight on how similar problems were encountered and resolved on the Asus Prime.

OK guys, the more that's reported, especially the intermittent nature of the problems, the more I'm convinced the issue is Teg3 related.

I followed the Asus Prime's launch from the beginning and it had very similar issues that all turned out to be either code or drivers related to Teg3. It took Asus/Nvidia four updates to finally stabilize everything.

The One XL is out now and even though there aren't a lot in people's hand you'd think this would have popped up on at least one if it was common to the One X family. The One XL has a different SoC, kernel, and graphics drivers than the international version while I'm assuming the majority of the rest of the s/w is the same. So as long as it's unaffected you can draw the conclusion that the international version's issues are either Teg3 h/w or related s/w.

The good news is that the majority of issues were eventually resolved on the Prime. But just like Asus, HTC is dependent on Nvidia to identify, isolate, and release new code to correct the issues because their s/w and drivers are proprietary. Having two companies involved is certainly not going to speed up the process. Just like the One X, not every Prime had the issue(s). And when early updates were released devices that were fine suddenly had problems and devices that were broken were fixed. No one from Asus or Nvidia ever explained why devices with identical h/w and s/w behaved differently. My guess is that there are unforeseen variances between individual Teg3 chips and the s/w adjustments were made to enable the s/w to account for them. So while this isn't an answer or a fix hopefully it helps better frame the problem.

I snipped some posts from the Prime forum so you can see that a theme similar to what we're experiencing exists. The first couple are from an Asus manager that participates in the Prime forum.

~~~~~~~~~~
    3/22/2012 Update –

The next firmware update is in qualification testing now. We are also working on solving some flickering problems reported by a few users and hopefully that will be addressed in this next release.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    4/2/2012 Update -

In addition, I have gathered additional details from a few users who are seeing locks or weirdness after playing a Tegra 3 optimized game after a few hours. I will be in California next week to work with NVIDIA and Google on this problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    2/1/12 Update - We received new code from NVIDIA today and are in the process of testing it. If this code is acceptable and provides a solution to the lock/reboot problem after the ICS update, we will release it in beta form for additional testing
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    2/7/12 Update - We received another new code update from NVIDIA for testing today. Hopefully we will be able to release a beta patch or OTA update shortly. I will have an update after testing is completed tomorrow.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    THE INITIAL ANDROID 4.0 UPDATE (BUILD 9.4.2.11) CAUSES FREEZES/REBOOTS FOR SOME. BUILD 9.4.2.13 FIXED THIS, BUT INTRODUCED A NEW BATTERY DRAIN ISSUE FOR SOME OTHERS. A FIX IS EXPECTED VERY SOON.

it is now believed that bugs in nvidia's tegra3 video drivers were the cause of freezes and reboots that some experienced after making the initial ICS update (build 9.4.2.11).

asus shipped new drivers with build 9.4.2.13 on 2/8/12 that fixed these issues, but a new battery drain issue was introduced that affects some others. this battery drain has been referred to as the "sleep of death"

asus confirmed on 2/14/12 that a fix has been developed for the battery drain and should be released within a week
    ~~~~~~~~~
    I went 36 hours after the initial ICS update without a problem and then a sudden reboot. I then had no issues for another day of normal use. Then a reboot. No pattern at all and definitely not when playing games when the CPU/GPU was being stressed. So not a thermal issue. This reeks memory issue whether the storage or ram and could be bad code or bad memory.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Wondering if any one else has had this issue. The left edge developed a series of blocks that would disappear when I touch he screen, and then reappear when I stopped touching the screen.. The issue persisted into app browser, but reappeared while playing a video in mx player.. It appeared again after I quit mx.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I took screenshots, via the app switcher button throughout, and I can see the corruption in the shots, and so I suspect its a software issue and not something in the display itself. Screenshots will follow once I compression them a bit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Today I was playing zen pinball and i pressed hardly for the right flipper and this screen flickering again. Starting with the bezel when I apply pressure to the right bottom part of the tab the screen flickers into white. I don't think it is a common issue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I find I can replicate screen flickering just by tapping the recent items button after having a dozen apps/pages stored there. A reboot fixes it but it comes back later.
    I too have this problem. But its not constant. I guess its software related. After installing lcd test all colors looked fine n solid, which means the issue is software based as hardware never differentiate. Wait before jumping to conclusions, the best place i can home down to is the problem of nvidia settings specially refresh rate. The flickering is nothing but a faulty refresh rate value not hardware issue. Advice wait.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
    Fully agree with this statement ; it has to be something to the OTA can fix as just about every person I have spoke to with a OneX has noticed this at one time or another.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Hi all. I wanna know if this firmware number 1.26.xx is only for UK phones or is this firmware number globally?

Sent from my HTC Desire
    Global... The 1.26 is the same everywhere its the last two bits that change.