Alternative Gamepads

Search This thread

danielcbit

May 15, 2013
Hi everybody.

Just got my Fire TV this weekend and started to play around with it. I bought just the fire TV as the Bluetooth Gamepad was not available yet.

As I'd like to use Fire TV for videos as well as for games I started to look for options regarding the second part.

I had a Xbox 360 Receiver + Controller laying around here and decided to give a try.

I'm glad to say that it worked almost flawlessly (the only problem if the controller's led that don't stop to blink. But the controller is functional and I can control the interface and games with it.

I'd like to ask if there is a way to make this led blinking stop and possibly do some remaps for the keys.

It would also be great if you could post information about other controllers that worked as well.

Here is some log information: http://pastebin.com/Z9ubtrHj

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
Edit: I found this thread, and thought it might be a fix if we had root, but we already have a config file for it: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1792531

edit2: You can see all the IO devices Fire TV can work with by looking at the files at /system/usr/keylayout/

Code:
# XBox 360 USB Controller
#
#
# XBox 360 USB Wireless Controller
# Reports itself as "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver" and
# "Microsoft Corp. Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter"
# Similar in behavior to XBox 360 USB Controller except for the d-pad,
# which is digital (scan codes instead of axes) on the wireless version.
#
#
# Logitech Dual Action Controller
#
#
# Logitech Gamepad F310 (USB).
# Very similar to XBox 360 controller (with switch in X position).
# This is due to XInput support available in this controller.
#
#
# Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510 (USB).
#
#
# Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710.
#
#
# Logitech G25 Racing Wheel (in Compatibility Mode)
#
#
# Logitech G25 Racing Wheel (in Native Mode)
#
#
# Logitech Revue Wireless keyboard
#
#
# Sony Playstation(R)3 Controller
#
#
# Wii Remote (WiiMote), Nunchuk and Classic Controller.
# WiiMote and Nunchuck buttons mostly map to codes based on their labels.
# Classic controller buttons map to mimic Xbox 360 controller layout.
#
#
# Apple Wireless Keyboard
#
#
# Amazon/Lab126 Remote Control
#
#
# Amazon/Lab126 Thunder Game Controller
#
#
# Motorola Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard.
#
#
# OnLive Wireless Controller.
# Effectively identical (in scan codes) to XBox-style gamepads
# with the addition of five multimedia keys.
#
#
# OUYA Game Controller
#

Last edited:

Greenlava.net

Apr 14, 2014
Anyoine have any luck with the Nyko Playpad? I assumed that since the PlayPad Pro was listed in the UI, that I would have similar luck with the PlayPad, but I haven't been able to discover the Playpad at all.

Dan

kairnage

Aug 17, 2011
dang that doesn't look half bad. and rechargeable == nice. I may have to retire my beloved 360 wired controller.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

ordered one too.

damn your scaly hide, kairnage.

LOL. I have been using my Ouya but it has the touch required issue that other controllers have. The Nyko shouldn't.

Reactions: tarvoke

kairnage

Aug 17, 2011
No. Brand new. Connected right away in FireTV and am able to move around. Browsing with ES File explorer with it now.

Trying to push some NESvRoms now

Cool. I called the closest Gamestop and they told me they had them. Luckily I called again before I made the 150 mile round trip and it turned out they weren't the new ones.

iamtek7

Aug 31, 2011
Cool. I called the closest Gamestop and they told me they had them. Luckily I called again before I made the 150 mile round trip and it turned out they weren't the new ones.

The Nyko PlayPad Pro's I picked up from Gamestop work great in the FireTV. Flawleess.

Have John NES and Mame4Droid installed but having some keymap issues, still working through them.

John NES got it working pretty good, but not much progress in Mame4Droid / Mame4All.

Also, the Logitech Dinovo works nice, keypad and buttons navigate, keyboard works.

Vidikron

Apr 11, 2014
The Nyko PlayPad Pro's I picked up from Gamestop work great in the FireTV. Flawleess.

Have John NES and Mame4Droid installed but having some keymap issues, still working through them.

John NES got it working pretty good, but not much progress in Mame4Droid / Mame4All.

Also, the Logitech Dinovo works nice, keypad and buttons navigate, keyboard works.

Does it feel solid? Buttons feel good?

Also, what issues are you having with MAME? Select "Configure General Inputs" below the ROM list and you can map buttons on your controller. Or are you trying something more complicated?

Last edited:

tarvoke

Mar 8, 2011
Slightly Outside America
Does anyone have tried the chatpad of the xbox 360 controller to see if it works as a keyboard?

that's a pretty good idea ;) I had forgotten all about those - last time I looked at them was years ago and they were still way over priced. but now they are dirt cheap - I ordered a couple just now, since I can use them for other things even if it doesn't work on the firetv.

sorry I don't have any answer, but I will eventually, if no one else has reported back before mine are delivered. I can say that the headset doesn't work (no surprise there, really -- no usb audio works on the firetv yet)

2fastkuztoms

Jul 5, 2010
I have one but my controller is wireless and i need a dongle, im deciding to buy the dongle or a mini keyboard

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

2fastkuztoms

Jul 5, 2010
Last edited:

hottnikkz

Feb 27, 2008
i was going to ask the same, searching to buy one right now. I remember reading someone using a generic, let me check to see if I can find it.

edit: here's the link but it doesnt say if is oem or generic

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51662898&postcount=84

My generic dongle works. As previously stated some where else the circle around the xbox button flashes constantly but it doesn't interfere in any way with gameplay. I have not tried with more than one xbox controllers but the emulators I've loaded recognize 4 spots as being available.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heads up: GameStop's Red Samurai controller is on sale right now for $8. Haven't tried personally yet, but I've seen quite a few posts where people seem to be having a lot of success on their Fire TVs. Probably going to try and pick one up after work.

http://www.gamestop.com/android/accessories/tablet-wireless-game-controller-v2/104425
    Just got my Playpad Pro from amazon and I can't get it to pair for the life of me! I've updated the firmware (tried both 100 and 101 bins) using every method I know of - PC, Playground app, and the Playpad Firmware Update app. I also tried pairing in each of the different "modes" (gamepad, app, etc). I'm at my wit's end. The Fire TV is running the latest rooted stock image, if that matters.

Any ideas?

First off - make sure you have fully (at least 2 hours) charged your batteries. The PlayPad is really picky about needing a full charge the first time.

Make sure it is in gamepad mode and hold in the home button to turn it on. Then go to pairing on the Fire TV. The red light on your PlayPad Pro should be flashing about once a second. Select pair on your Fire TV then hold the home button in on your PlayPad Pro again (4-5 seconds) until the red light starts flashing faster - this puts it into pairing mode. Took me a while to figure that out. After a bit the PlayPad Pro should be detected and you can select it on the Fire TV to complete pairing.

Good luck!
    Does the Fire TV support multiple bluetooth gamepads for multiplayer gaming?

This would be great for not only supported android games, but also emulated stuff.

With the Fire Game Controller it is possible to pair up to four gamepads. I think the same must be true for other types of controllers too.
    Nyko has a new Playpad for the Fire that is being released on the 18th. I ordered one.

dang that doesn't look half bad. and rechargeable == nice. I may have to retire my beloved 360 wired controller.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

ordered one too.

damn your scaly hide, kairnage.
    Currently I have a wireless PS3 controller connected via the Sixaxis app. Yes I paid for the app (was using it on my GSII) and I have root. Cons are - it disables the FTV remote and it has about a half second input delay when playing emulators (Retroarch and ePSXe).

I'm not using it anymore coz the input delay is an absolute killer on fighting games. I'm not sure if it's the app, the emulator, the bluetooth or the controller but when I tried using my K400 (which is not bluetooth) to play emulators it presents the same lag.

Does anyone have experience on a wireless controller with absolutely zero lag? I was thinking of buying the F710 but I remembered my K400 and I'm afraid that it would give me the same input delay