Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

Touch Pro 2 sucks. Here is why.

1,655 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By orelsi, Senior Member on 3rd June 2009, 08:32 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
Let's face it people. When the TP2 was announced it was looking like a great device and a possible Xperia replacement. Now, after it is out, I can safely say that it has both bad hardware and software. I will hang tight to my Xperia for the time being.

Here is why I do not like the TP2:

No 3.5 m headphone jack - LOL. In 2009...............

No flash/LED on the camera - Again, it is 2009 and this is a high end device.....

No D-pad or other directional buttons on the front - They say the software is optimized for that kind of use. Well, what about the 10k apps I want to install, that require a d-pad?

No FM radio/disabled by firmware - Why??? That is the stupidest decision by a phone manufactirer ever.

Same processor as the TP. 520mhz qualcom, although the TP2 has an older version !!!!!!!!! - Older version on a model that is supposed to be a successor???

TP - MSM 7201 A
TP2 - MSM 7200 A

Same storage space as the TP.

Same ammount of RAM, although the TP2 has 20mb LESS RAM available to it. I repeat, the newer version has less RAM available!!!

TP2 has a better battery than the TP, BUT worse battery life! How about that huh???

Good things:

Nice screen. (tilting)

5 row keyboard. (awesome)

Noise cancelation.

How is the Touch Pro 2 an upgrade?? It has ther same or LOWER specs than the Touch Pro. I feel cheated by HTC . My advice is - Keep your Touch Pro or Xperia and wait for the TP3 or X2.......

3rd June 2009, 08:39 PM |#2  
XDA Portal Team / Retired Senior Moderator
Flag T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...
Thanks Meter: 3,183

More
I haven´t tested myself
But I must agree with you!

How possible is no 3.5mm jack??
My Universal from 2005 has it and is extremelñy usefull!, of course an adapter can be found but....

Don´t want to repat all your points but thank you very much for pointing it here
Not a real replacemet for my beloved Universal not even for Xperia

Let´s hear what users have to say about this
3rd June 2009, 08:40 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 140

More
Some good points but I disagree with:

1. No 3.5 m headphone jack - LOL. In 2009 - I never understood why anyone would want an extra hole in their device. the adapter works perfect for me and yes, its 2009, i have wireless headphones lol.

2. No FM radio/disabled by firmware - Why??? That is the stupidest decision by a phone manufactirer ever - i installed the cab and it works perfect. who cares how it comes if you can simply install a cab file to change it. All part of customizing your device IMHO

3. Same processor as the TP. 520mhz qualcom, although the TP2 has an older version !!!!!!!!! - Older version on a model that is supposed to be a successor??? - do you actually know this proc is worse or are you just saying this due to the model #?

4. Same storage space as the TP. - who cares about internal storage when you have an expansion card?

5. TP2 has a better battery than the TP, BUT worse battery life! How about that huh??? - not sure where you got that lol. my tp2 has much better battery life then the tp1

not really feeling you advice not to buy it. I had an HD and this phone blows it away in every way. just my 2 cents
3rd June 2009, 08:53 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sofia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallman

Some good points but I disagree with:

1. No 3.5 m headphone jack - LOL. In 2009 - I never understood why anyone would want an extra hole in their device. the adapter works perfect for me and yes, its 2009, i have wireless headphones lol.

2. No FM radio/disabled by firmware - Why??? That is the stupidest decision by a phone manufactirer ever - i installed the cab and it works perfect. who cares how it comes if you can simply install a cab file to change it. All part of customizing your device IMHO

3. Same processor as the TP. 520mhz qualcom, although the TP2 has an older version !!!!!!!!! - Older version on a model that is supposed to be a successor??? - do you actually know this proc is worse or are you just saying this due to the model #?

4. Same storage space as the TP. - who cares about internal storage when you have an expansion card?

5. TP2 has a better battery than the TP, BUT worse battery life! How about that huh??? - not sure where you got that lol. my tp2 has much better battery life then the tp1

not really feeling you advice not to buy it. I had an HD and this phone blows it away in every way. just my 2 cents

1 - Yes, having an adapter is so cool......... I want to plug my headphones not look for the stupid adapter EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.
Wireless headphones are used by a very small percent of people. Most people (like me) prefer NOT to have two devices to charge when you want to take your music with you.

2 - That is not customizing. Installing programs and tweaking is customizing. This is poor care for the customer on HTC's part and smells of an unfinished device. How would you feel if they had left out TouchFlo 3D? Or part of it?

3 - That is what I know from doing my research. If my info is correct.

4 - I do. Many apps don't work if you install them on the SD card. They auto install in the main storage.

5 - All the reviews I have seen mention it, plus a friend of mine has both phones and has confirmed that for me.

Agreed on the part that TP2 is better than the HD. HD sucks even more. You should definitely make the upgrade to TP2.
3rd June 2009, 08:54 PM |#5  
Flag Modena
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I have the following phones:
Kaiser
Diamond
Touch HD
Xperia
Touch Pro 2

and have bought them in that order - never sold any of these

I agree with Mallman: can't see the point in saying that it sucks.
I have been using my TP2 today with the following usage:
140' phone calls (onehundred forty)
20' Opera browsing
Exchange mail push always on
2 POP3 mail account syncing with 10' time frame.
Received and read over 50 mails.

Still have 10% battery left after 14 hours of THAT kind of use - just out of the box, haven't had the time to work on energy consumption parameters under Advanced Config.

Can't really see any difference with my Xperia. Touch HD has performed less.

Radio is ok.

Have a 8 GB SDHC card, with extreme satisfaction.
And believe me, I have tried all the keyboards of these phones, nothing compares to this one. Screen is superb, speed also.
3rd June 2009, 08:57 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
IT has BETTER battery life (don't listen to pocketnow.com, they are the onlyones who are saying that. FM radio has been left out. Reason unknown, so hard to say if it is a bad decision. Does the processor id number mean it's older? Has it been released before? It's not always so that a higher number means newer.

The TP2 is actually faster (not only touch flo 3D) then the touch pro.
Maybe they should make also a HDMI and firewire connection...... That would make sense. There are really small usb mini to 3,5 minijack converters. ANd the mini usb is multi functional.

Please stop talking about the flash, there have been real flash phones, but only very little. This is because after 3 flashes, the battery is empty. That LED light, was fun, but never really used it. keyboard has been improved. Original wm 6.5 upgrade.

Looks are much better. I almost never used my dpad, only when something was to small to select. But the bigger screen and better resolution solves that. I have to admit that a jogdial (like on the hermes) would be a good thing.

So in your oppinion every device has to have a mini jack? So I think you get that I don't agree with you :P
3rd June 2009, 09:04 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sofia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarintus

IT has BETTER battery life (don't listen to pocketnow.com, they are the onlyones who are saying that. FM radio has been left out. Reason unknown, so hard to say if it is a bad decision. Does the processor id number mean it's older? Has it been released before? It's not always so that a higher number means newer.

The TP2 is actually faster (not only touch flo 3D) then the touch pro.
Maybe they should make also a HDMI and firewire connection...... That would make sense. There are really small usb mini to 3,5 minijack converters. ANd the mini usb is multi functional.

Please stop talking about the flash, there have been real flash phones, but only very little. This is because after 3 flashes, the battery is empty. That LED light, was fun, but never really used it. keyboard has been improved. Original wm 6.5 upgrade.

Looks are much better. I almost never used my dpad, only when something was to small to select. But the bigger screen and better resolution solves that. I have to admit that a jogdial (like on the hermes) would be a good thing.

So in your oppinion every device has to have a mini jack? So I think you get that I don't agree with you :P

I was at a club last night with some friends and it was kinda dim. My Xperia was the only phone with any kind of flash and I was the only one that could take pics. I really can't imagine anyone arguing in favour of not having a flash. That is hilarious. Same goes for 3.5mm jacks.

I had a couple of devices without D-pads (including HD for a while). I have to say that many of the apps require a D-pad or are easier to work with, if you have one.

Agreed on the screen, keyboard and looks (as mentioned in the OP).
3rd June 2009, 09:08 PM |#8  
Flag Modena
Thanks Meter: 9

More
For the lack of flash, you are completely right.
I see no point in selling phones without a flash - even a sucking one would be better than nothing.
As for me, I use these phones for my job, so usually in daylight.
Wish I had more spare time to spend in clubs during the night: would have certainly a different phone
3rd June 2009, 09:11 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sofia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja.rogue

For the lack of flash, you are completely right.
I see no point in selling phones without a flash - even a sucking one would be better than nothing.
As for me, I use these phones for my job, so usually in daylight.
Wish I had more spare time to spend in clubs during the night: would have certainly a different phone

3rd June 2009, 09:11 PM |#10  
XDA Portal Team / Retired Senior Moderator
Flag T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...
Thanks Meter: 3,183

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja.rogue

And believe me, I have tried all the keyboards of these phones, nothing compares to this one.

I´m sure you are not counting Universal keyboard
That one is the best!
3rd June 2009, 09:12 PM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag liverpool
Thanks Meter: 3,157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by orelsi

1 - Yes, having an adapter is so cool......... I want to plug my headphones not look for the stupid adapter EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.
Wireless headphones are used by a very small percent of people. Most people (like me) prefer NOT to have two devices to charge when you want to take your music with you.

2 - That is not customizing. Installing programs and tweaking is customizing. This is poor care for the customer on HTC's part and smells of an unfinished device. How would you feel if they had left out TouchFlo 3D? Or part of it?

3 - That is what I know from doing my research. If my info is correct.

4 - I do. Many apps don't work if you install them on the SD card. They auto install in the main storage.

5 - All the reviews I have seen mention it, plus a friend of mine has both phones and has confirmed that for me.

Agreed on the part that TP2 is better than the HD. HD sucks even more. You should definitely make the upgrade to TP2.

all i gotta say is this: have you actually used the device? half of whats written on the web is not from actual use but pure conjecture. i actually own the device and have an x1 and blackstone. x1 cannot compare with this phone on any level. blackstone has a bigger screen and that about it! when you actually use the device then i will take on board your views but for now as an actual owner i am sorry to say your research is inaccurate, my experience is hands on!
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread