OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 1,521

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS

Part on RUUs is wrong...

An RUU can be run at any point and in any state (so long as you can get to the bootloader) as it completely replaces the entire system so doesn't matter if you don't have the stock recovery as it replaces it during the update process. Also, if you're S-OFF it means you can flash any RUU for any phone, handy to go between branded and unbranded software. OK, there's a risk of trying to flash an RUU from another device but if you do that you're a bit dumb!!

I think you misread. I said only if it's s-on do you require everything stock. I will update it while it's s-off. There have been bricks with HTC phones and running an ruu with s-on and modified firmware files not just an ruu intended for another device. Thanks for your post though. It seems my explanation is not entirely clear so I will clarify.
The Following User Says Thank You to exad For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift exad Ad-Free

15th May 2014, 11:34 AM |#22  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 4,042

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by exad

I think you misread. I said only if it's s-on do you require everything stock. I will update it while it's s-off. There have been bricks with HTC phones and running an ruu with s-on and modified firmware files not just an ruu intended for another device. Thanks for your post though. It seems my explanation is not entirely clear so I will clarify.

I've, personally, never had an issue when S-ON so long as the RUU is newer than the current build and you have the right CID. The job of an RUU is to replace EVERYTHING (inc. firmware) so having custom firmware has no bearing on the process. If someone has bricked their phone it's not because of the RUU.

Now, whether this has changed with the M8 I don't know but as we don't have any RUUs yet it can't be confirmed...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EddyOS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift EddyOS Ad-Free
15th May 2014, 11:48 AM |#23  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal

Donate to Me
More
I bricked ruuing my onexl to 2.14 hboot with stock cid but a modified hboot. I just want to keep the number of bricks down. Better to be safe, take extra precautions than to assume things are safe and end up with a 700$ brick. If we discover that the m8 is unbrickable running RUUs no matter the condition than I will update the thread. Let someone with a riff box take the risks.
The Following User Says Thank You to exad For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift exad Ad-Free
19th May 2014, 06:17 PM |#24  
Flag Basrah
Thanks Meter: 0

More
i have a question and hope you guys answer it
i understand flashing a custom recovery will disable OTA
and rooting won't effect it........correct (if i'm wrong plz tell me)
but i want to know if i unlocked my m8 or s-off it do i still receive OTA's
19th May 2014, 06:20 PM |#25  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HasansHg

i have a question and hope you guys answer it
i understand flashing a custom recovery will disable OTA
and rooting won't effect it........correct (if i'm wrong plz tell me)
but i want to know if i unlocked my m8 or s-off it do i still receive OTA's

S-off and unlock does not affect accepting Ota :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exad For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift exad Ad-Free
19th May 2014, 06:36 PM |#26  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 2,750

More
Suggestion:

Add information on "fastboot boot ..." This is probably one of my favorite fastboot commands, as it gives me a way to test kernels without flashing, (or to boot a known good kernel after flashing a bad one), as well as a mechanism to boot into TWRP or CWM recovery without having to actually flash those custom recoveries.

Here's some comments I made about that latter aspect in a different thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=828
The Following User Says Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift garyd9 Ad-Free
20th May 2014, 06:21 PM |#27  
Flag Basrah
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by exad

S-off and unlock does not affect accepting Ota :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

thanx a lot man you relieved me
2nd June 2014, 07:08 PM |#28  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 5

More
HEQS
What is HEQS?

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

What is Xposed?
3rd June 2014, 09:36 AM |#29  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 9,511

Donate to Me
More
That is a great guide and very helpful to newcomers and needs to be made a sticky. It would save a lot of needless posts. Well done.
3rd June 2014, 11:30 AM |#30  
Flag Bristol, Scrumpy Country
Thanks Meter: 3,692

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9

Suggestion:

Add information on "fastboot boot ..." This is probably one of my favorite fastboot commands, as it gives me a way to test kernels without flashing, (or to boot a known good kernel after flashing a bad one), as well as a mechanism to boot into TWRP or CWM recovery without having to actually flash those custom recoveries.

Here's some comments I made about that latter aspect in a different thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=828

is it possible to boot into recovery using these commands? i know it was for the first hboot version on m7 but they seemed to have stopped that after
3rd June 2014, 02:04 PM |#31  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 2,750

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by exocetdj

is it possible to boot into recovery using these commands? i know it was for the first hboot version on m7 but they seemed to have stopped that after

When a person's "signature" is longer than their message, it's really annoying. Please consider shortening it.

As for your question, yes, it is possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift garyd9 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)