Editing build.prop tutorial

Search This thread

DynamicN

Jan 8, 2013
Reno
hey guys i need a big help whit that i was tweaking the build.prop of my pantech flex is already rooted but it get stock into the logo of att i mean it got brick so i decide to modifited the build.prop to the original i mean just erasing the lines i added to it but i was just fine doing the abd pull and the push to the sdcard build.prop but i get failed doing (su
mount -o remount,rw none /system
busybox cp /sdcard/build.prop /system/build.prop
mount -o remount,ro none /system) in the cmd it stay doing anything

Is there a thread or section for the Pantech Flex?

vw_mike

Nov 19, 2013
Can't save build.prop edits

I can not seem to save my build.prop. This is my first time doing any of this. I received a VSW Droid Bionic for free and want to use it with my tmobile service. I have spent days and days on this site and found a lot of info on how to do it. Everything seemed to work but I am at the point where I need to make changes to the build.prop file but it will not save.

I rooted my phone using Easy Root http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40870178 Seemed to work. I used a root checker on the phone and it said I have root

I have been trying to edit the build.prop using ES File Explorer. I turned on Root Access in the app. I am able to bring up the file in ES Note Editor or many other apps. I am able to make changes to build.prop but when I try to save it says an error occurred or I don't have access.

I have also tried using Easy ADB and can not save on there either.

Purhaps there is a problem with root?

Any ideas?

zanderman112

Oct 6, 2010
SouthEast USA
www.twitter.com
I can not seem to save my build.prop. This is my first time doing any of this. I received a VSW Droid Bionic for free and want to use it with my tmobile service. I have spent days and days on this site and found a lot of info on how to do it. Everything seemed to work but I am at the point where I need to make changes to the build.prop file but it will not save.

I rooted my phone using Easy Root http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40870178 Seemed to work. I used a root checker on the phone and it said I have root

I have been trying to edit the build.prop using ES File Explorer. I turned on Root Access in the app. I am able to bring up the file in ES Note Editor or many other apps. I am able to make changes to build.prop but when I try to save it says an error occurred or I don't have access.

I have also tried using Easy ADB and can not save on there either.

Purhaps there is a problem with root?

Any ideas?

In ES File Explorer, open the side navigation bar, and click "Root Explorer" then click "Mount R/W" and make sure it looks like this.

y5a3u6e9.jpg

Then try and edit the build.prop using ES Note Editor.

Sent from Mr Z's GS3.

Klamman

Jan 28, 2013
Am I missing something? I've spent hours trying to do this on my device, and I get a bunch of characters moving fast on my screen, and it looks like it's telling me that I messed the command up. This happens on the first push command. Can someone help?
It may be a bit off topic, but I'm using the Asus Memo Pad 8's sideload feature in recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I haven't seen a guide for this yet...but if there is mods please delete this.

Your build.prop is what tells android what your phone is. A Nexus S a Motorola Droid, or a Samsung Epic. Knowing how to change it can be EXTREMELY useful from tweaking your phone to faking it to run netflix.

There's 3 ways to modify your build.prop. You must have root (and busybox) for all of them, but I beleive if you want to you can unroot and it will stick.

ADB
    Adb is a part of the android sdk, and is more for advanced users then novices. You can modify your build.prop by using adb and pulling it, editing it on your computer, and putting it back. Not the simplest way.

Type in adb:
    Code:
    adb pull /system/build.prop C:\Users\user\Desktop

Always replace "user" with your windows username

You should see a file named "build.prop" on your desktop. Open it with WORDPAD, not notepad. Change what you want. When your done, type this:

Code:
    adb push C:\Users\user\Desktop\build.prop /sdcard/build.prop

This will put the build.prop on your sd card, since we cannot directly push to /system

Code:
    adb shell

This should give you a shell. A shell is where you can run commands. After you have a shell, type:

Code:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw none /system 
    busybox cp /sdcard/build.prop /system/build.prop
    mount -o remount,ro none /system

You have successfully changed your build.prop!

File Expert (or other free file managers) and text edit
    This involves two apps, File Expert (or similar) and Text Edit. They can be found on the market here: File Expert and Text Edit

After you install these two apps, open File Expert. Click the menu button (the one on the phone), more, and Settings. Click on File Explorer Settings and click Root Explorer. It should request root, allow it. Press back twice to go back to your sd card. Then press back twice again. Click on /system. Press the menu button, more, and click mount. Select "Mount as Read Write". Now long click on build.prop and select File Operations. Click permission. A menu should pop-up, check the boxes so it looks like this
    Code:
    X X []
    X X []
    X X []
    and click apply. Now, click on build.prop and it should say open as. Click text, then Text Edit.
    Feel free to edit as you please! Once your done, click menu, then save. Then close the application. Don't forget to go to file expert and unmount system as rw, do this by going to the system folder and clicking menu, more, Mount, Mount as Read Only. Your done!

The easy way
    Go buy an app. Really, some are worth the trouble. Two apps that will help edit your build.prop are Absolute System and Root Explorer

Thats about it. Any suggestions on how to edit, I'll add in this op. So be sure to leave them!