Why the lack of microSD may be a problem.

Search This thread

HTC-Gunge

Feb 24, 2011
York
People you need to embrace the cloud (and get a data plan that allows you to!) Modern devices are designed to be always connected. When I'm at home or in the office or in the coffee shop I'm connected to a WIFI hotspot. When I'm out and about I'm connected to 3G (I dream of 4G but the UK lags behind in this at the moment!). When I'm very rarely offline (air-plane, tunnel, black-spots)... I'm prepared for it!

Store your Music in Google Music (technically US only but there are ways and means...) and I guess other alternatives. Have access to all your music and stream it to your phone. Know your going to be offline? Know you want to listen to some specific albums? Download those to your device for offline play!

Photo's and Videos! Dropbox, google+, and facebook all allow for automatic uploading saving you the need to do it later. Want them on your PC also well dropbox has a client for PC syncing so I never need to manually do it! Plus all my photos and videos are now automaticly backed up!

Documents / OneNotes! I'm using skydrive purely because I'm a PC fan boy but drop box could be used also. With one note and skydrive you always have access to your notes on the go or from any PC!

Books again store your libary in the cloud and just download / sync the ones you need now or the ones you know you will need when your offline.

Navigation! After being forced to use Windows phone and Nokia Drive you really appreciate Google navigation. Ok no offline navigation but still...

Reactions: maverick1103

DomCowell

Dec 4, 2010
People you need to embrace the cloud (and get a data plan that allows you to!) Modern devices are designed to be always connected. When I'm at home or in the office or in the coffee shop I'm connected to a WIFI hotspot. When I'm out and about I'm connected to 3G (I dream of 4G but the UK lags behind in this at the moment!). When I'm very rarely offline (air-plane, tunnel, black-spots)... I'm prepared for it!

This is spot on really , it is fairly standard, and as I have already said it seems silly to not buy a device because of an issue that, in reality, isn't really a problem at all.

HydroSkillet

Mar 14, 2012
DFW
Using cloud storage and sync is going to be the way to go (...imo). All those backups ect won't need to be needed. Reflash your phone, sync with X providers, all your stuff is there... Side note, I've never came close to using the 32GB microSD I have in my DHD so I'm not worried about the SD Partition.

silverSl!DE

Sep 8, 2008
Yet again, the issue is abolished thanks to the 25gb free dropbox storage!

Well. critical data and corporate documents i store NOT @ dropbox. Cloud is in this case not an option for me. especially when you are offline for some reason.
Cloud isn't everything. but it's MY problem ;)

so if a hardkey is hardcodet as a softreset, i'm happy.:)

Spl4tt

Maybe portable charger?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

i thought that too, but it's just not the same.
a portable charger is bigger and needs cables, i can't just put it into my pocket like a spare battery..
and, a spare battery is instant 100%, without the need to let the phone plugged in..

this is the only drawback of the device. except HTC made some wonders and the phone can live two days straight with a power user like me

EDIT: oh and, the cloudstorage. i don't know, but here in switzerland we have an upload rate of not even 100kbit/s. cloudstorage is definitly crap with a speed like this
and yeaaaaaah, dropbox works so awsome when you are on EDGE, EDGE vs the read speed of a SD card is so awsome, oh and 3g! 3g vs the read speed of a SD card.. so awsome..

for me, that cloudstorage aspect is totaly worthless. it's cool to have 25gb dropbox for free, and i will use it for sure, but not with my phone..

Last edited:

fi3ry_icy

Apr 24, 2010
HTC One X
HTC Leo

Store your Music in Google Music (technically US only but there are ways and means...) and I guess other alternatives. Have access to all your music and stream it to your phone. Know your going to be offline? Know you want to listen to some specific albums? Download those to your device for offline play!

Photo's and Videos! Dropbox, google+, and facebook all allow for automatic uploading saving you the need to do it later. Want them on your PC also well dropbox has a client for PC syncing so I never need to manually do it! Plus all my photos and videos are now automaticly backed up!

Documents / OneNotes! I'm using skydrive purely because I'm a PC fan boy but drop box could be used also. With one note and skydrive you always have access to your notes on the go or from any PC!

Books again store your libary in the cloud and just download / sync the ones you need now or the ones you know you will need when your offline.

Navigation! After being forced to use Windows phone and Nokia Drive you really appreciate Google navigation. Ok no offline navigation but still...

battery life is close to non-existence already.. i cant imagine what streaming non-stop will do to the phone..

To original topic at hand:

If you don't have the intelligence to sync your data to a cloud (picasa, google contacts, google music, photobucket, google documents, evernote, drop box, anywhere else) to avoid data loss or have a huge chunk of the data offline somewhere else, then you should get a jitterbug.

http://www.amazon.com/Jitterbug-J-C...8SX6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332171603&sr=8-1

As for the NAND and boot image problem, IDK.

Not having an SD card doesn't 'bother' me, though I would like to have more storage because I don't want to stream my music as I use my phone as a primary music source. I think THAT is the real issue. We are being led down this path like the rats with pied piper to be forced to increase our data usage per month and in turn, pay carriers more when exceeding limits. My solution, if streaming music turns out to be costly, then I will get me an ipod touch and conserve battery power on my phone and carry two devices all the time :mad::mad::mad:

vectorized

Jan 14, 2011
San Francisco
Issues addressed while reading, I didnt see everything:

I own an ASUS Transformer. Which uses its internal memory as if it were an SD Card. It's the primary memory location. The developers created a Recovery which would skip this location when doing NAND backups & Recoveries. I'm sure it will be done for the One X as well.

The lack of removable battery w/ freezes is taken care of by the instant power off after holding power button for 10 sec.

and I just bought a portable microusb charger..

also the connectors on the side of the casing basically guarantee that there will be a case made w/ a battery in it, and the contact plating will give it a smaller form factor.

Reactions: AllEyezOnMe

htc-ppc

Dec 4, 2008
okay, enough with this embracing the cloud junk. The cloud is slow. I don't want my stuff on some server that I may not be able to access. What happens when someone goes into the subway and they have no data access? What happens when you forget to backup something? Syncing, oh that was turned off to save battery or is off because the user is traveling and doesn't feel like paying $10 per KB while out of the coverage area. Where is your cloud then? I have seen people saved by an SD card when their phone is dropped in water and their contacts/apps were on the card. Whew, don't need to start on level 1 again after all that time playing that game. Don't need to facebook everyone to get their numbers again. That chick you met last night, well her number isn't gone forever now. THAT is something I can embrace. Having to depend on a data connection and a server somewhere... sorry, but hell no. I've been screwed by that one before. I want my stuff here and perhaps an additional copy can be in the cloud.

Reactions: AllEyezOnMe

TheSkinnyDrummer

Feb 12, 2012
Fallbrook, CA
www.vimeo.com
To original topic at hand:

If you don't have the intelligence to sync your data to a cloud (picasa, google contacts, google music, photobucket, google documents, evernote, drop box, anywhere else) to avoid data loss or have a huge chunk of the data offline somewhere else, then you should get a jitterbug.

http://www.amazon.com/Jitterbug-J-C...8SX6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332171603&sr=8-1

As for the NAND and boot image problem, IDK.

Not having an SD card doesn't 'bother' me, though I would like to have more storage because I don't want to stream my music as I use my phone as a primary music source. I think THAT is the real issue. We are being led down this path like the rats with pied piper to be forced to increase our data usage per month and in turn, pay carriers more when exceeding limits. My solution, if streaming music turns out to be costly, then I will get me an ipod touch and conserve battery power on my phone and carry two devices all the time :mad::mad::mad:

Your solution is the same as paying a carrier for data...you've just paid for another device. Someone's making money regardless :mad:

Sent from my coffee pot.

sabret00the

Apr 15, 2011
London
s00techified.wordpress.com
Cloud storage and sync aren't the way to go because they're not feasible. They're over-reliant on a technology infrastructure that doesn't exist. There is no cloud on the underground, I barely ever get maximum speed from my phone when out and about and it's not feasible for me to leave my WiFi on at all times. I'd much rather have an SD slot be in full control of my data and information locally than be susceptible to the rigmarole of the whims of Dropbox. Let's not forget that Facebook and Google were handing over private data to the FBI before it was even formally or legally requested and yet everyone is supposed to be happy to just leave their stuff anywhere? Nope. No SD Card slot is ridiculous. Especially for a device that was by HTC's own admission designed for the likes of people that hang out on here. Dump the SD card on the lower end phones where people expect the same microSD card they've had for the past 10 years to still be a good shout on the newest shiniest phone available at the time of the contract renewals.

flame10

Dec 26, 2009
Till I used 16GB sdcard, I was hungry for more space, but once I upgraded to 32gb 6 months back on my HD2, space has been never an issue for me. I keep movies, music and even heavy Gameloft games.

Also I own an ipod touch 4gen 32gb, similarly I have never felt shortage of space on it.. Huge games, movies, music etc are on there.

Looking at this, I feel 32Gb is the sweet space which you can easily get on with. As an advantage I feel better battery backup due to no sd access and faster nand i/o is much much better. Maybe clubbed together with the battery saver processor, this will be one of the best phone with long lasting battery in its club (4.5 inch +)

Ruudfood

Aug 1, 2008
Again, just like in the battery life thread, I have to ask a question because I'm not sure what the answer is: what do you need to have on your phone that can't reside in the cloud?

I mean, let's say that you know you're going to be underground and won't be able to access your cloud storage; could you not just copy what you need (from your PC/cloud/wherever) to phone storage so that you have access to it for the journey, then remove it when you're done?

Or decide which files would be better stored locally (music, movies) and which would be better placed in the cloud (photos, documents)? Or invest in a portable USB storage device?

Sure, no alternative solution to a micro SD slot is perfect but if you want the phone you'll have to suck it up. It's THAT simple!

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Till I used 16GB sdcard, I was hungry for more space, but once I upgraded to 32gb 6 months back on my HD2, space has been never an issue for me. I keep movies, music and even heavy Gameloft games.

Also I own an ipod touch 4gen 32gb, similarly I have never felt shortage of space on it.. Huge games, movies, music etc are on there.

You may be underestimating the amount of storage which will be taken by the OS. On my HTC Flyer 16 GB tablet, 3 GB is taken by the OS, and 4 GB partitioned for app data only, leaving less than 9 GB for user accessible storage (media).

If the One X follows similar partitioning (3 GB for OS and 4 GB for app data) that will only leave 25 GB for user accessible storage.

People always seem very disappointed about the actual user accessible storage available on HTC devices ("How come I don't have 32 GB available?"). So make sure you understand what the actual partitioning is before you buy the phone. Especially true in this case, since the storage is not expandable by MicroSD.

ViDtje

Jun 9, 2010
You may be underestimating the amount of storage which will be taken by the OS. On my HTC Flyer 16 GB tablet, 3 GB is taken by the OS, and 4 GB partitioned for app data only, leaving less than 9 GB for user accessible storage (media).

If the One X follows similar partitioning (3 GB for OS and 4 GB for app data) that will only leave 25 GB for user accessible storage.

People always seem very disappointed about the actual user accessible storage available on HTC devices ("How come I don't have 32 GB available?"). So make sure you understand what the actual partitioning is before you buy the phone. Especially true in this case, since the storage is not expandable by MicroSD.

As far as we know the user accessible storage is 26 GB.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

brent8577

Oct 1, 2011
I accept this now. I want good sound quality for lossless so I give up on all in one phones. cowon makes good players if you ignore the android one. only problem I see is where to save 1080p recordings. I guess you buy a camera and get a fanny pack.

HTC-Gunge

Feb 24, 2011
York
okay, enough with this embracing the cloud junk. The cloud is slow. I don't want my stuff on some server that I may not be able to access. What happens when someone goes into the subway and they have no data access? What happens when you forget to backup something? Syncing, oh that was turned off to save battery or is off because the user is traveling and doesn't feel like paying $10 per KB while out of the coverage area. Where is your cloud then? I have seen people saved by an SD card when their phone is dropped in water and their contacts/apps were on the card. Whew, don't need to start on level 1 again after all that time playing that game. Don't need to facebook everyone to get their numbers again. That chick you met last night, well her number isn't gone forever now. THAT is something I can embrace. Having to depend on a data connection and a server somewhere... sorry, but hell no. I've been screwed by that one before. I want my stuff here and perhaps an additional copy can be in the cloud.

The cloud is fast via WIFI, the cloud is fast via 4G, the cloud is fast via 3.5G, its more than usable on 3G. How long are you spending in the subway? As I said if your going to be offline then you need to plan for that in advance. You want to listen to music in the subway? You make you current favourite album available offline, you want to read web pages in the subway? you make them available offline before hand. Also really in this modern day and age subways should be providing WIFI or Network access... What happens if you forget to back up something? Don't know what you mean in relation to the subject... If you saving everything onto your SD-Card what happens if it fails? If your device is stolen? If your device corrupts the data? I could argue the same point that I've been saved by having my data in the cloud instead of on my device... as for that chick I met last night (how did you know?) her number is safely in the cloud so even when I leave my phone in the taxi on the way home I can still check it from my PC and call her!

Cloud storage and sync aren't the way to go because they're not feasible. They're over-reliant on a technology infrastructure that doesn't exist. There is no cloud on the underground, I barely ever get maximum speed from my phone when out and about and it's not feasible for me to leave my WiFi on at all times. I'd much rather have an SD slot be in full control of my data and information locally than be susceptible to the rigmarole of the whims of Dropbox. Let's not forget that Facebook and Google were handing over private data to the FBI before it was even formally or legally requested and yet everyone is supposed to be happy to just leave their stuff anywhere? Nope. No SD Card slot is ridiculous. Especially for a device that was by HTC's own admission designed for the likes of people that hang out on here. Dump the SD card on the lower end phones where people expect the same microSD card they've had for the past 10 years to still be a good shout on the newest shiniest phone available at the time of the contract renewals.

I will admit the infrastructure is lagging behind a little but to say its not feasible is nonsense. People, myself included are using it all the time. Even big corporations are migrating to office365 which is a cloud based solution. The cloud is here, its real and its usable. What information are you wanting to store in the cloud that you don't want the FBI to see? Designed for the likes of people that hang out here? What like me? Who uses the cloud... ah yes your right guess HTC did a good job then!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    but the inbuild battery could be a pain in the 4$$: what if the system freezes? bsod or some thing? will there be any reset button like the good old WiMobile phones? i don't think so.

It will reboot when you hit on/off for 10 secs.this is hardcoded so it'll work anytime.

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda premium
    So how are we meant to to nandroid backups? Won't flashing just erase all internal memory?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using xda premium
    So how are we meant to to nandroid backups? Won't flashing just erase all internal memory?

No if you go look in the development section you can see that the One X has an internal virtual sd partition.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

nope, as said: virtual sd-partition.
    the touch diamond was the same story.
    4GB internal Mem. not efected by flashing, hardreset etc. im not sure at this moment, but i have in mind, that you coukd access the int.mem even in the bootloader.
    or just flash a stock rom and youre in.

and if your hardware's dead, then you've got other problems:D
    but in that case you can replace nearly everything on htc-devices.
    on the diamon i replaced a broken display and some speakerstuff successfully.

but the inbuild battery could be a pain in the 4$$: what if the system freezes? bsod or some thing? will there be any reset button like the good old WiMobile phones? i don't think so.

THAT is, what i am afraid of. but i will buy it anyway. it'll be a REALY great device, like the HD2 2,5years ago.:)