FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Vote if you got 100% SuperCharged! Does it work as advertised?

Definitely! Nothing beats it... PERIOD!

1,187 Vote(s)
41.56%
Very good! Quite happy with the results!

1,037 Vote(s)
36.31%
Snake Oil! It Does NOTHING!

386 Vote(s)
13.52%
Makes things worse!

246 Vote(s)
8.61%

[V6U9RC13]For Your Lag(4x) Do it good, Good, GOOD, GOOD! SuperCharge Your Launchaaah!

9,374 posts
Thanks Meter: 21,791

Post Reply Email Thread
13th March 2011, 04:18 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag IN THE FREAKIN' OP

Donate to Me
More
nice.
Yes minfree's values are in pages and 1 page = 4kbytes.
24mb would show as 6144.
ie. 6144*4/1024=24
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SAIUN-

Nice tips, zeppelin. The settings have much improved the performance of my Milestone, but I am still getting occasional redraws with LPP. Free RAM is usually between 38MB and 45MB, using VM Heap of 40M and your 6,10,24,40,50,60 settings for AMM.

EDIT: Also, when I add the ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=-1 line to the /data/local.prop file, after a reboot that line has disappeared from the file.

Yes see afadel's post after yours regarding the local.prop edit.
Hit enter so that you have an empty line at the end.
You're still getting redraws because the "bulletproof launcher" entry got deleted. Damn kryptonite!
I edited the OP accordingly.

Also, after you get the local.prop file working properly, see how much free ram you have at that time.
I'm thinking that you currently have 45mb free because the launcher is still getting killed.
So, if it doesn't get killed, it should be more like 30-35 mb free.

Now if you aren't getting redraws (launcher is kept alive) and your ram is still 40-45mb free, you can probably lower the 3rd value from 24 to 20.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zeppelinrox For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zeppelinrox Ad-Free

13th March 2011, 11:29 PM |#12  
Flag Buenos Aires - CABA
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Hello, nice tips

In my MM I had to change some the cache, using 40m is too much because phone is slowly, I notice it have low memory than using the standard memory configuration (28m in APAC) but I changed to 24m as I had in 2.1u1.

In normal use I have now 32MB free but setting to aggresive mode it goes to 40MB free.

The problem using aggresive mode is that if you are looking into maps and change to make some sum (i.e. using realcalc) you lost maps ubication, or if you return to maps you lost the state of other programs, so kernel kill the program.

Regards,
Claudio.
The Following User Says Thank You to clmta For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift clmta Ad-Free
14th March 2011, 12:07 AM |#13  
OP Senior Member
Flag IN THE FREAKIN' OP

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmta

Hello, nice tips

In my MM I had to change some the cache, using 40m is too much because phone is slowly, I notice it have low memory than using the standard memory configuration (28m in APAC) but I changed to 24m as I had in 2.1u1.

Are you referring to VM Heap size?
I'm pretty sure now that VM heap size shouldn't really affect free ram.
But if it's too big, small apps will lag and if it's too small, large apps will lag.
I recommended 40mb because it would prevent most launchers from splitting into 2 virtual machines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmta

In normal use I have now 32MB free but setting to aggresive mode it goes to 40MB free.

The problem using aggresive mode is that if you are looking into maps and change to make some sum (i.e. using realcalc) you lost maps ubication, or if you return to maps you lost the state of other programs, so kernel kill the program.

Regards,
Claudio.

I guess here you are referring to AMM's aggressive settings?
The second number in AMM's aggressive settings is 12, which would make visible apps more likely to get killed than the 10 mb I suggested.
Come to think of it, perhaps I will test with that set to the default 8 mb ie. 6, 8, 24, 40, 50, 60
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeppelinrox For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zeppelinrox Ad-Free
14th March 2011, 12:26 AM |#14  
Flag Split
Thanks Meter: 260

More
Im currently running 6,8,16,40,50,60. Is that crazy? XD

Btw one question, I posted in cm7 thread but no answer . Can I change this values without using AMM(uninstalled)? I mean, change it from Root Explorer, and settings would be the same after rebooting?
14th March 2011, 12:40 AM |#15  
OP Senior Member
Flag IN THE FREAKIN' OP

Donate to Me
More
lol no you're not crazy.
Like I said, I may tinker a little more with my settings - 6, 8, 24, 40, 50, 60 is not that different from yours.
I was testing 6, 10, 20, 40, 50, 60 this afternoon but I didn't like it too much.

Sorry, I hadn't visited the the CM7 thread in a few hours.
I usually save that one till last because it always has some good reading lol.

But yes, you can edit the same file that gets edited by AOR's memory manager:
/system/etc/init.d/99complete

Be sure to get the permissions right.
I cheat and use SuperManager

Edit: Permissions for 99complete = chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/99complete
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeppelinrox For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zeppelinrox Ad-Free
14th March 2011, 12:42 AM |#16  
Flag Split
Thanks Meter: 260

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelinrox

lol no you're not crazy.
Like I said, I may tinker a little more with my settings - 6, 8, 24, 40, 50, 60 is not that different from yours.
I was testing 6, 10, 20, 40, 50, 60 this afternoon but I didn't like it too much.

Sorry, I hadn't visited the the CM7 thread in a few hours.
I usually save that one till last because it always has some good reading lol.

But yes, you can edit the same file that gets edited by AOR's memory manager:
/system/etc/init.d/99complete

Be sure to get the permissions right.
I cheat and use SuperManager

And right permissions are? Im newbie with them xD.

With 16 I don't get FCs in apps I'm using. I did this because I read a tutorial for AMM, and realized that these numbers (6,8 etc) are RAM, and when system reaches 16mb, it will FC the secondary server (i guess that is, lets say game or something? Am I wrong?)

Edit: wtf I don't have a 99complete o_O.
14th March 2011, 02:09 AM |#17  
OP Senior Member
Flag IN THE FREAKIN' OP

Donate to Me
More
99complete for your settings of: 6,8,16,40,50,60

Code:
#/sbin/sh

echo "1536,2048,4096,10240,12800,15360" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree
I attached it as well - just remove the .txt extension.

Permissions are the same as 10overclock ie.

Edit: The hard core way ---> chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/99complete
Attached Files
File Type: txt 99complete.txt - [Click for QR Code] (99 Bytes, 387 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to zeppelinrox For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zeppelinrox Ad-Free
14th March 2011, 04:08 AM |#18  
Flag Buenos Aires - CABA
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelinrox

Are you referring to VM Heap size?
I'm pretty sure now that VM heap size shouldn't really affect free ram.
But if it's too big, small apps will lag and if it's too small, large apps will lag.
I recommended 40mb because it would prevent most launchers from splitting into 2 virtual machines.

ok, I understand the point now. I checked now and I saw 2 LauncherPro running, so I will make some tests to try to put them in only one VM.

Regards.
14th March 2011, 04:31 AM |#19  
Flag Campinas, SP
Thanks Meter: 57

More
And what's the advantage of having the app running in one process only?

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
14th March 2011, 04:58 AM |#20  
OP Senior Member
Flag IN THE FREAKIN' OP

Donate to Me
More
After reading this page, I was under the impression that it's less efficient and that memory is wasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aph

In my testing ADW Ex needs at least 38mb to run totally smoothly so I set mine to 40 mb. Interesting that it splits itself into 2 separate processes to get around the heap size issue but still runs into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino2k6

If the two processes are running in the same virtual machine they should share the same memory space though. I mean, two different applications will run in different VMs, however even if one application requests to create a second process they will still be in the same VM.

I may be wrong, but this was my understanding behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aph

System Panel only shows 1 of the 2, the one that uses less memory. Out of its consumption of 30mb only 10mb is shared, presumably with the one that uses 38mb that OS Monitor shows.

I've seen the larger process go up to 39mb after watching it a bit more. Also, Facebook will take as much as it can get, easily 50mb+.

Is my conclusion correct, or not so much?
The Following User Says Thank You to zeppelinrox For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zeppelinrox Ad-Free
14th March 2011, 04:20 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member
Flag IN THE FREAKIN' OP

Donate to Me
More
Re: Milestone CM Help!
Received this via PM but I'm replying here so it can assist others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinFire

Hi there,
I saw your posts regarding AMM and the Home Screen redraws in the Milestone forums. I'm running a CM7 RC3 0.07-11.03.09 right now on my Milestone. Im pretty happy with it except for the frequent and annoying Home resets.(I just have 2 Home Screens with a SoundHound and Clock/Weather widget)
So basically i tried the AMM Values that you suggested (6,10 etc...)
But that didnt work. I tried setting ADW (Which shows up as a Hidden Application) to the Never Kill in AMM( -17 priority) But it would still end up redrawing and resetting the priority back to 6.
Neither did the Bulletproof launcher thingie work
If i add the ro.HOME~ line in local.prop and untick Keep in Memory in Cyanogen settings, the Priority is still 6. (And it still dies)
If i keep it ticked, its at 1. (Donno if it matters but im desperate here!)

Sorry for the long msg and i hate to be a bother but id REALLY appreciate your help!
Thanx!

Do you have more than one launcher?
There is no way ADW would have such a low priority if it's the only launcher.

And yes, when you set an app to Keep Alive or increase its priority, it's not permanent - that's why I came up with the bulletproof launcher command.

It shouldn't matter, but I'm on CM612 and I don't see ADW anywhere in AMM's process list on my phone.
It's just lumped in with android.process.acore and in the process details it doesnt say ADW either - it's referred to as "com.android.launcher"

Also, be sure to have a blank line at the end of local.prop after the bulletproof launcher entry and be sure the set the permissions of local.prop properly. ie.
Code:
chmod 644 /data/local.prop
Also, you can take a look at the screen cap at the end of the OP to see what the permissions look like in SuperManager so you can do it graphimagically.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android.process.acore, awoooooooooooooooogaaa, booga booga booga, boomstick, hard to kill, hellz yeah, hi mom, ky for android, lag, launcher, mbq was here, omfg, out for justice, ram, redraw, supercharger, turbocharger, under seige, v6 supercharger, wooooow, zeppelinrox is a god, zepplinrox, zepplinrox thanks meter exploded, zoom zoom
Previous Thread Next Thread