Thanks Meter: 4,764

By ukanth, Recognized Developer on 26th October 2012, 05:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd November 2018, 06:23 PM |#4911  
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladano

By Android. I verified this with my ISP. There is data consumption and Android system is the culprit.

Well, I am going to give wireshark a try. Thanks!

You might be able to capture using tcpdump on the Android device itself, then analyze using Wireshark.

3rd November 2018, 10:39 PM |#4912  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,063

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladano

Hi!
First of all, thanks for this awesome app.

On the other hand, I have blocked everything on LineageOs. No gapps, no sync, no background apps even system ones... However, there is some "Android System" data usage. If I manually connect and reconnect it appears this data consumption (about 1-2 kbs per new connection) BTW, I also have "Fix startup data leak" selected...

Any possibility to block it? What is this data leak? Net Monitor does not show anything.

Thanks in advance.

Something like Wireshark should confirm or refute but if I were to guess (and it's strictly a guess) then it's some type of handshake protocol involved in establishing the connection.
The Following User Says Thank You to jcmm11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcmm11 Ad-Free
4th November 2018, 01:03 AM |#4913  
Thanks Meter: 243

More
I've used paid AFWall+ for years but i was recently asked a question I did not know how to answer.

AFWall+ blocks internet access to the selected apps. But what about the apps calling home via the phone's carrier data plan? Like T-Mobile or Verizon. Does that bypass the firewall security AFwall provides?

Thanks.
4th November 2018, 08:49 AM |#4914  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriol1

You might be able to capture using tcpdump on the Android device itself, then analyze using Wireshark.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmm11

Something like Wireshark should confirm or refute but if I were to guess (and it's strictly a guess) then it's some type of handshake protocol involved in establishing the connection.

I think you were completely right. Connections with the router. Like this:
21:18:43.503180 ARP, Request who-has router.movistar tell 192.168.8.102, length 28

Thank u very much for the information.
4th November 2018, 08:42 PM |#4915  
Recognized Contributor
Flag 40.75659° N 73.98626° W
Thanks Meter: 2,290

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeme2

I've used paid AFWall+ for years but i was recently asked a question I did not know how to answer.

AFWall+ blocks internet access to the selected apps. But what about the apps calling home via the phone's carrier data plan? Like T-Mobile or Verizon. Does that bypass the firewall security AFwall provides?

AFWall has two (or more) columns of check boxes next to each app. Depending on your preferences they will allow it deny access. One column is for WiFi and the other for carrier data.

The short answer is that AFWall can block carrier data if you set it that way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NYLimited For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NYLimited Ad-Free
5th November 2018, 02:02 AM |#4916  
Flag Portwenn
Thanks Meter: 366

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLimited

AFWall has two (or more) columns of check boxes next to each app. Depending on your preferences they will allow it deny access. One column is for WiFi and the other for carrier data.

The short answer is that AFWall can block carrier data if you set it that way.

Block if you set it that way? My understanding is everything is blocked by default.

I still personally don't get why this has two options allow selected and block selected...

Just leave the default setting "allow selected" marked, then just check what you want allowed, and leave everything else unchecked and they are blocked...
5th November 2018, 02:43 AM |#4917  
Recognized Contributor
Flag 40.75659° N 73.98626° W
Thanks Meter: 2,290

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoR3M3

Block if you set it that way? My understanding is everything is blocked by default.

I still personally don't get why this has two options allow selected and block selected...

Just leave the default setting "allow selected" marked, then just check what you want allowed, and leave everything else unchecked and they are blocked...

I suspect your understanding is not complete. I'll point you in the right direction but you need to do your own reading and testing.

When you load AFWall you should see a screen like the first image below. Note where the red arrow is pointing.

If you tap the indicated icon you will get a drop-down (see second picture) which lets you select (define) if you want the checked/selected apps to be allowed on the internet or denied. Note that my image is showing that I wish to allow only those apps on the internet which have a checkmark. I can place a check-mark in one or both boxes (e.g. I might want an app to have internet access only on WiFi)

As for why use allow or blocked.. that one is up to the person using it. One person might want to let all installed apps on the internet except those specifically blocked. Less tedious if one is concerned with only one or two apps. Another person might want to block anything installed unless specifically allowed out (checked). More work but likely a bit safer. Choices...

There are a lot of option you might explore in AFWall. Good luck with your experiments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	4634686   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	4634687  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NYLimited For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NYLimited Ad-Free
5th November 2018, 06:14 AM |#4918  
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Quote:

The two options exist in order to allow for different use cases.

The main reasons for using "allow selected" are probably security and privacy. People who don't want any app they install to just hand out their personal data over the internet will block everything except for specific apps they trust.

The main reasons for using "block selected" are probably related to convenience and data usage. For example, someone might not mind if all apps can access the internet, but maybe some specific app is causing large data usage and he would rather block it whenever not on wifi without messing with the internet access of every other app installed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eriol1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eriol1 Ad-Free
5th November 2018, 08:48 PM |#4919  
Thanks Meter: 190

More
Hello, I'm seeing a new drawer/launcher icon (shield became yellow) for Afwall+(donate).
Is it the adaptive icon style?
I'm on Marshmallow though, and I'd like to switch back to the classic Afwall+Donate icon.
(searched for new icon/adaptive icons but could not find anything useful in the thread)
6th November 2018, 12:34 AM |#4920  
Flag Portwenn
Thanks Meter: 366

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLimited

I suspect your understanding is not complete. I'll point you in the right direction but you need to do your own reading and testing.

I understand all of this already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriol1

The two options exist in order to allow for different use cases.

Coming from a Linux background with iptables, the concept is odd is all...

Typically in Linux you don't write rules like this, everything is blocked by default and you simply allow what you want, that's all...

Anyhow to each his own...
6th November 2018, 06:53 AM |#4921  
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Quote:

Coming from a Linux background with iptables, the concept is odd is all...

Typically in Linux you don't write rules like this, everything is blocked by default and you simply allow what you want, that's all...

Anyhow to each his own...

Quite the opposite. If you are coming from Linux iptables background, you should feel right at home. The discussed matches exactly the default policy you set to each built-in chain, either allow or deny (drop) anything not matching any rule.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KickerTom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KickerTom Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
block internet, droidwall, firewall, iptables, security

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)