Kitkat 4.4 APN backup

Search This thread

evertking

May 25, 2013
Does this just replace the APN file in system/etc?
I have been trying to get MMS to work on kk ROMs for what seems like weeks with no luck. Tried this but didn't have any luck but maybe, well im wishing, that i skipped a step and will work for me.
*** OK, I just tried the again and it was a no go. Turned around and installed 8sms and entered the APN and can send with the app. I'm confused as to why the app will work while the stock KK SMS won't. Anyone know?

Last edited:

mistah_mumford

Jul 16, 2011
NC
I'm on a Verizon LG G2. I backed up and restore APNs but when I went into hangouts for example on an AOSP ROM I didn't see any APNs and had to manually add one for MMS to work at all. Any ideas?

ziur

Dec 1, 2013
:(

I'm on the Virgin Mobile s3 and right now I'm on the 2015-04-12 cm 11 nightly and I've done all of the steps in your tutorial but even after that i get no data whatsoever. I can call and text but can't get 2g 3g or 4g signal. Then when I go to my APNs there's nothing there. Any help will be greatly appreciated cuz I don't want to go back to touchwiz.

danielpsx

Apr 17, 2014
houston
I'm on the Virgin Mobile s3 and right now I'm on the 2015-04-12 cm 11 nightly and I've done all of the steps in your tutorial but even after that i get no data whatsoever. I can call and text but can't get 2g 3g or 4g signal. Then when I go to my APNs there's nothing there. Any help will be greatly appreciated cuz I don't want to go back to touchwiz.
mmm, probably have to use the qpst or cdma workshop.... to programing the nam and the data parameters of virgin for 2g 3g 4g functionality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUJgk7Eba_o here's a tutorial, so you will see the parameters that you have to change.

TdiGuy

Nov 20, 2012
Moto G Stylus 5G
This worked out very well. Only 1 thing I had to do differently. Titanium backup would hang when trying to make apn backup a system app. So i skipped that and moved the APK then executed the APK when it was in the priv-data folder. When installed it ran as a system app :). Now that i have done this I was able to get LTE to work on my Galaxy S3 (sprint) by doing a APN backup ( found 1 invalid apn) then a restore. I am guessing the apn backup app is smart enough to exclude invalid entries. Saved me a LOT of headaches compaired to what i have seen people do to get LTE back ( namely reverting to stock rom, doing a prl update then going back to new rom with a copy of the APN's) Now if we could find someone with a phone on stock firmware but is rooted to back up APN's and then share them :)

sina2716

Oct 16, 2015
How to disable ICS check?
i convert it to system app but i still have the annoying message (unfortunately apns cannot .........)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    what is apn?
    Definition: APN stands for Access Point Name, a setting on your mobile phone that identifies an external network your phone can access for data (e.g., 3G or 4G Internet service on your phone).

So last 2 days after getting home, I lost lte connections (using cm11 kitkat 2/20 update)...rebooted, nothing, restored, nothing...restored stock rom, instant connection. So I had to update the prl/profile and even did ##72786# refresh just in case...backed up that rom state, restored cm11 and worked. So, there has to be an easier way:

Apps needed:
    titanium backup Play Store link
    apn backup and restore Play Store link
    any root file browser/manager MY CHOICE

Roms required:
    your rooted stock nandroid backed up with above listed apps
    your cm11 or other kitkat 4.4 + nandroid backed up with above listed apps

Stock rom steps:
    -after installing the needed apps, open titanium backup and go to backup/restore
    -locate the app apn backup and restore, long press on it and choose to install as a system app
    -once a system app, open apn backup and restore and ignore the message stating your device isn't supported
    -press the menu key, select to disable ICS check (error message will no longer appear)
    -reboot the phone
    -once rebooted, open apn backup and restore and choose backup apns, once done exit app and reboot in recovery and restore your 4.4 rom

Kitkat rom steps:
    -after installing the needed apps, open titanium backup and go to backup/restore
    -locate the app apn backup and restore, long press on it and choose to install as a system app
    -once a system app, exit titanium and go to your root file browser
    -navigate to: system>app and locate the apn backup and restore apk, long press on it and select move or cut (depending on your browser)
    -press back once to return to system folder and navigate now to priv-app folder and paste the apk, exit your browser
    -open apn backup and restore and ignore the message stating your device isn't supported
    -press the menu key, select to disable ICS check (error message will no longer appear)
    -reboot the phone
    -once rebooted, open apn backup and restore and choose restore apns...it should locate the stock apn backups right away, once they're restored you must reboot your phone 1 last time for them to take effect

this may seem like a lot to do now, but once you perform all the above 1 time start to finish, this shouldn't be needed to be done for quite some time...but when the time comes and you wanna refresh your signal data it's now always handy.
    when you want to refresh the apns, back up your kitkat rom to its most current state, restore your stock rom backup, update the prl/profiles and/or ##72786# refresh your phone. backup your apns when done, backup most current state of stock rom, restore kitkat and restore the new apns and reboot...done, my lte has been completely solid since doing this after 2 days of glitching (plus I flash roms a lot lol so it's good to keep handy)
    Thanks a bunch!

I've been looking forever for a guide like this! I needed to restore the apns for 4g and mms on my virgin mobile, and it worked perfectly! :D