AE Buttton plus....mapping the ok button

Search This thread

mackaby007

Sep 16, 2005
mackaby007 said:
J273 said:
ahh ok where can i get version 2.4.3 its not on there site anymore just the latest version and 2.2.2 :?

Just got it by doing a simple Google search, but I haven't tried it yet.
Just installed this piece of crap and after reset prompt from the application, the damn device gets stuck in Bootup mode (Windows mobile Blue screen).
Tried soft-resetting 4 times. I think a hard reset is necessary. Great. :evil:

mightyeric

Aug 27, 2006
I'm using AEB+ v2.5 without issue. I mapped the OK button (#4075) to option 17:Close active application. Seems to work fine.

J273

Apr 18, 2005
hmmm just tried version 4.3 and dont seem to work for me the button just dont respond after a soft reset. :?

Will only a registerd version work or does a trial version work?

Thanks

shark1

Aug 8, 2006
hmmm just tried version 4.3 and dont seem to work for me the button just dont respond after a soft reset.

I think it only works on a register version, as I tried it on unregistered and it failed so I decided USD8 was not much to pay to see if it works and the registered version works for me now.

J273

Apr 18, 2005
Just bought it and mapped the ok button to close current app....but it dont seem to close any thing it just minimizes the app......do you have the same problem :?

mackaby007

Sep 16, 2005
AEB seems to be the way to go....

J273 said:
hmmm just tried version 4.3 and dont seem to work for me the button just dont respond after a soft reset. :?

Thanks

Eureka. A result at last. I don't know if having installed Spb Plus caused some kind of conflict, but after a hard reset and Spb Backup/restore (Spb Plus was not a part of it) I got a positive result.

J273 Ok thanks guys......so to map it to a close command instead of a minimzie which do i use from the drop down within AE

Is it

17: Close active apllication

That's the correct procedure J273. And it will work with unregistered version, mine does!! Don't forget once you've added the key, save & exit and softe reset. Once your back into Windows go into AEB and find the key and make sure you chose to unbind it (that's what I did first of all), then choose option 17 and voila it will work with the lower right hand 'ok' button! :wink:

see below

Attachments

• aebutton_243.jpg
    aebutton_243.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 51

J273

Apr 18, 2005
ahhh got it to work now thanks guys...its just ive noticed sometmes it dont close windows media player ontil i open it and close again

Working though thanks for the help :D

thescum

Mar 3, 2006
SG
mightyeric said:
I'm using AEB+ v2.5 without issue. I mapped the OK button (#4075) to option 17:Close active application. Seems to work fine.

mighteric and shark1,

were using older versions of AEBPlus, namely 2.4.2 beta onwards.
if you were, it is very possible that you had already captured the windows and ok buttons with the earlier versions. Since this is set in the .cfg file which will not be uninstalled during upgrades, you'll enjoy the settings in later versions.

Have since written to the developer. Top marks to him. He's given me a reasonable explanation, included herewith:

As for "Windows" key: unfortunately there are few keys on exact devices (like "Windows" one) which

processed on a system level. Even if AEBPlus is capable to grab these keys it may not disable original

action assigned to them by system. Currently I don't know the way to workaround the situation and

if sometime I'll find the solution - it will be implemented immediately...

mightyeric

Aug 27, 2006
i don't know which version i first installed, but i HAVE installed it multiple time. i didn't keep it around the first time and had to redownload it, so i may have used an earlier version, but hard reset should have completely erased it. I'm not sure why, but mine works ok.

J273

Apr 18, 2005
thescum said:
thanks to gohyc for his contributions, have managed to now capture and make the windows and ok keys to work to my expectations (no more double presses for each setting of the windows key)

for the info and the .cfg download for those of us that can't capture with AEBplus v2.5, here's the link

http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=77236&st=0&p=564971&

Does anyone have another link for this file on PPCSG.....I cant seem to download it :?

Thanks

stbn

Aug 9, 2006
heya you'll have to register before downloading

Hi!
I managed to re-map 'real close' to 2xOK. I also tried to re-map 'minimize' to 1xOK and 'task list' to longOK, but both do not work :-(. Any suggestions?
BTW: the download of the config-file does not work, even you are registered. Can anyone provide the config-file here, please?
Thanx!

Koksie

Dec 9, 2004
Device lock worthless with AEBPlus

I just found out that using AEBPlus causes the device lock app to lose its function. All buttons that are handled by AEBPlus bypass the device lock app, thereby causing those buttons to be active although the device is locked. Just found out that IE has been running for quite a while while my Vario II was in my pocket... Does anyone know a way to change this behaviour?

edit: Just tested on my Wizard, same behaviour. I never noticed it there, since the AEB handled hardbuttons are less sticking out there, preventing unwanted presses. Since the IE button on the Hermes sticks out more, the behaviour first came to light. Om my Wizard virtual AEB buttons are not affected, so I will try to handle all double and tripple presses through virutal buttons, I'll let you guys know if this works correctly.

Koksie

Dec 9, 2004
Virtual Buttons help Devicelock app.

I have toyed around a bit, and using virtual buttons is the way to do it. These buttons appear in the normal button settings in your settings menu, and you can set them there. The only downside is that you are then not able to use all AEBPlus applications and options, only the ones that are available in the standard button setting app. Furthermore I use WM5menu as a long list of apps I frequently use, as a sort of launcher, but I am not able to use a virtual button to bind it since the app then only shows for a split second instead of staying visible. I have AEBPlus handle it for now, double press brings it up, I think chances are very small that that will happen accidently in my pocket.

For some reason these virtual buttons are handled by WM5 and Devicelock is able to block them. It seems that AEBPlus grabs the buttons so quickly and effectively that the Devicelock app is not able to block them. Using virutal buttons allows the system to block the button when instructed by Devicelock.

leepriestenator

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 25, 2006
I'm having trouble understanding what these 'Virtual Buttons' are?

What purpose does it serve??? I know it shows up in the regular buttons menu, but why would you want that when AEB Plus gives you so many additional key presses per key?

Koksie

Dec 9, 2004
The difference is in the way the OS sees the buttons. The buttons that are directly bound by AEBPlus to a hardware button bypass the OS, e.g. although device lock (a part of the OS) is supposed to grab the buttons and block them when the device lock app is running, AEBPlus is quicker and enables the buttons. So, when device lock is running, the buttons that are grabbed by AEBPLus bypass the OS and Device Lock and the applications still pop-up despite the buttons being locked. This behaviour is annoying me, since when I use device lock I expect my buttons to be safely locked when my device is in my pocket. This is not the case when you bind them directly with AEBPlus, instead although the buttons are locked, several apps were opened when I took the device out of my pocket and a call had been made.

However, when I create a "virtual button" with AEBPlus, this button is seen by the OS as a normal hardware button and is disabled by Device Lock. So, when I lock the buttons with device lock and put the device in my pocket, an accidental press of the button causes AEBPlus to activate that virtual button, which is then blocked by Device Lock. In this way, my buttons stay safely locked when the device is in my pocket and prevents apps opening due to accidental presses.

You can still use the multiple key presses of AEBPLus. Instead of directly assigning an application to a double press with AEBPlus, I assigned a virtual button to a double press. Then in start-settings-buttons I assigned an app to that virtual button. I have done the same for tripple presses and press-and-hold.