[Q] Please confirm if SDXC cards work (64GB) on LG Opt L9

Does 64GB SDXC MicroSD card work on your LG Optimus L9?

• Yes, working fine (please comment on what you did)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No, didn't work (tried all formats)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Worked, but then had issues (lease a comment)

• Other (pls leave a comment)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread
Feb 21, 2013
Hi folks,

I've seen youtube videos and messages around the place (including a threads on XDA) stating android devices that are specified to only accept up to 32 GB MicroSD (SDHC) cards, will in fact accept SDXC cards, which are 64GB.

I have been trying to find people stating that this is also true for the LG Optimus L9. I found a thread here on XDA discussing this, but the final conclusion seemed vague to me. So I am starting this thread.

So my question is this: If you have a 64GB SDXC card working in the LG Optimus L9, please respond and say so. If you would also kindly share which brand and model number of SD card you use, that would be great.

Thank you,

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
Afaik there have never been any problems with any SDHC devices, if you reformat the card to Fat32. But you will need a formatting tool for Windows or Linux. Windows or the L9 won't do it on their own device. Or maybe the latter just will.

Feb 21, 2013
Afaik there have never been any problems with any SDHC devices, if you reformat the card to Fat32. But you will need a formatting tool for Windows or Linux. Windows or the L9 won't do it on their own device. Or maybe the latter just will.

Thanks "lecorbusier"…
So am I correct in understanding that the hardware of a SDXC and an SDHC don't really differ?
Therefore, in order to achieve 64 GB capacity with an SDXC card in a SDHC reader, it should simply be a matter of formatting the card correctly?

Do SDXC cards come formatted in a different way than SDHC cards by default?

I ask these questions out of a wish to understand this technology.

Cheers...

Feb 21, 2013
Any LG Optimus L9 P768 users with 64GB SDXC working?

Hi AndroidWelcome:
I hope this could help you http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2520/~/sd/sdhc/sdxc-specifications-and-compatibility
Cheers. Good luck.

Sent from my LG P76020p-EUR-XX unlocked and rooted
Thanks BojoPrimate,
What that confirms is that there is no difference in the actual hardware, which I have since read elsewhere too. It would seem the only real difference is in the file format.
This explains why many people (mostly Samsung device users, that I've come across) report they have success using 64MB SDXC cards in devices spec'd to only support SDHC (32GB max)… AFTER reformatting the card to Fat32. I've also seen it reported that in theory formatting the card to Ext4 might always work as theoretically Android (due to its underlying linux architecture) should support Ext4.

So I suppose what I am really looking for now is confirmation from other LG Optimus users who have successfully installed a 64GB SDXC memory card in their device… particularly those with the Lg Optimus L9 P638 (as that's what I have).

I am not in the USA, but will be ordering the card from there as they are about 1/3 of the cost from what I get locally. But that's also why I wish to be fairly confident it will work… as returning it won't be an option.

Cheers…

Reactions: BajoPrimate

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
In theory a bug in the device's Fat32 driver could prevent it from handling volumes bigger than 32gb, as this had not been tested during development. I never heard of such a case, only related stuff, like Linux-based devices incabable of handling hdds bigger than 1tb some years ago.
The L9 has a slightly higher chance of failure, as it don't officially support usb OTG. Btw, someone wrote that it will work with appropiate apps. Maybe with self-powered 3,5" hdds, as it seemingly does not provide power for usb devices, I tested with a card reader whose power led stayed off. Usb otg capable devices also have a chance of supporting ntfs for sd cards. But ext3/4 might work as an alternative.

sirphilk

Sep 3, 2007
SDXD Card. My experience

I did try this on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. While it did seem to work at first over time found that I occasionally would get errors where it would show the card was there, but when you try to access it you would get error "sd card removed". The only way I could fix this when it happened was to restart the tablet. It became annoying enough that I eventually removed it and went back to a 32gb SDHC card. Just a note though Fry's Electronics sells a Patriot Brand 64gb SDHC card. But I have not tried it as I don't really like the brand.

Feb 21, 2013
Thanks folks.
I bit the bullet, bought a 64GB Kingston SDCX10/64GB MicroSDXC-I Class 10 chip.
Installed. :fingers-crossed:
LG Optimus L9 reported there was a card that was either faulty or not in a recognised format. It asked if I want to format it. Said yes.
10 seconds latter the device has the expected 58.41 GB of SD ram.
So far so good. :highfive:

Now, it just remains to be seen if this is a stable outcome. I shall report here in a few months if all is well, or sooner if something odd starts playing out before that.

Cheers... :cowboy:

Reactions: BajoPrimate

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Any LG Optimus L9 P768 users with 64GB SDXC working?

Hi AndroidWelcome:
    I hope this could help you http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2520/~/sd/sdhc/sdxc-specifications-and-compatibility
    Cheers. Good luck.

Sent from my LG P76020p-EUR-XX unlocked and rooted
    Thanks BojoPrimate,
    What that confirms is that there is no difference in the actual hardware, which I have since read elsewhere too. It would seem the only real difference is in the file format.
    This explains why many people (mostly Samsung device users, that I've come across) report they have success using 64MB SDXC cards in devices spec'd to only support SDHC (32GB max)… AFTER reformatting the card to Fat32. I've also seen it reported that in theory formatting the card to Ext4 might always work as theoretically Android (due to its underlying linux architecture) should support Ext4.

So I suppose what I am really looking for now is confirmation from other LG Optimus users who have successfully installed a 64GB SDXC memory card in their device… particularly those with the Lg Optimus L9 P638 (as that's what I have).

I am not in the USA, but will be ordering the card from there as they are about 1/3 of the cost from what I get locally. But that's also why I wish to be fairly confident it will work… as returning it won't be an option.

Cheers…
    Thanks folks.
    I bit the bullet, bought a 64GB Kingston SDCX10/64GB MicroSDXC-I Class 10 chip.
    Installed. :fingers-crossed:
    LG Optimus L9 reported there was a card that was either faulty or not in a recognised format. It asked if I want to format it. Said yes.
    10 seconds latter the device has the expected 58.41 GB of SD ram.
    So far so good. :highfive:

Now, it just remains to be seen if this is a stable outcome. I shall report here in a few months if all is well, or sooner if something odd starts playing out before that.

Cheers... :cowboy: