How to register the G1 without a sim or data plan

Search This thread

xaxis

Dec 6, 2008
sorry for my ignorance

but when i type sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db
it gives permission denied

i can't login,

i used adb shell command first, i think i am not doing it right!

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
First, do you have a sim card at all? If so, you don't need to run that command - it's only for when you don't have a sim card.

Second, when you type adb shell, do you get a $ prompt or a # prompt?

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
From my original post:

When you start up the phone without a sim card, it goes into a locked screen that says "no sim card found", and you can't even get into the registration app. So the first step is to get around that screen. You have to connect to your phone with adb shell and get root access, and then type the following command:
sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db INSERT INTO system (name, value) VALUES ('device_provisioned', 1);

Did you start up the phone without a sim card? Did you see a screen that said "no sim card found"? If not, then why are you trying to run the command to get around that screen :)

You can skip directly to the second step:

The second step is to enable and configure wifi, so that the registration process can connect to the google servers. In an adb shell session, type the following command:

am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings

This doesn't have to have root access to work. It works fine with the "shell" user that adb on non-modded phones runs as.

That command will bring up the settings page on your phone. From there, you can enable wifi and connect to your wifi network, and then proceed with registration as per normal

googcs

Jan 13, 2005
I am able to get into the browser from the Gmail login. Anyway to get into the settings from there directly? I am having hard time figuring out how to get the adb shell and root.

dashesy

Dec 15, 2008
Thank you very much :) It worked for me.
and BTW if anybody requires web authentication for WiFi just run this command in shell to have a browser instance:
am start -a android.intent.action.VIEW -d http://www.google.com

slevin.yu

Dec 2, 2008
Really Great!
If there's a way to see the home screen without registeration the google account, it will be more helpful:)

eboy44

May 13, 2006
LA 818
will activating the G1 this way allow you to bypass the google plan from tmobile? or will tmobile still slap on the service after a month or so?

[RiS]

Dec 13, 2008
Applied 2nd step on my new Dev phone 1 to activate it through wifi and worked flawlessly. thanks!

remiks3

Dec 18, 2008
I am having trouble installing USB drivers for my device...

http://code.google.com/android/intro/develop-and-debug.html#developingondevicehardware

On that website how am I supposed to turn on USB debugging on my device if I can't even get past the "SIM card locked" screen?

And also, once i connect my G1 to my computer, it automatically assigns it as a disk drive, how do i disable that? Whenever I go to "update driver" and point it to the directory with the USB driver, it tells me it is already updated.

K

korndub

thanks JF you are good in this thing.

My case i have sim card without data plan, when turn on phone show me screen for register email account with google.

c:\adb shell
show me # simbol

and in the phone show me the menu for connect to my wireless :eek:

conected, registered, go ahead.

thanks

This is awesome! thanks for this!

Meeker

Dec 10, 2008
Vancouver, BC
As requested a quick step by step, this is what I did with a sim card without a Dataplan on the Dev Phone last night. A little hazy on the exact command for the shell session, but it’s a quick command and some reading to figure it out. Thanks for the help on getting mine registered!

Step 1

Download the SDK
http://code.google.com/android/download.html

And unzip contents to a directory on your computer

Step 2

Download the USB Driver

http://dl.google.com/android/android_usb_windows.zip

And unzip contents to a directory on your computer

Step 3

Connect the phone using the USB cable provided with the phone to your computer and direct your computer to search for drivers in the location you unzipped the drivers in.

Step 4

Open a command prompt (Windows XP in run type “cmd” I believe you can do that in VISTA as well) and go to the directory where you unzipped the SDK and go to the “tools” directory

In the command prompt type

Adb

And search for the option that opens the shell session and enter that

Step 5

Type in

in the shell session and you should see the menu change on your phone

Step 6

Configure Wifi settings on your phone and the phone should be able to connect to the network, remember to WAIT for the phone to verify it has connected the network before exiting the screen, else you’ll have to redo the shell command in order to access the screen

Step 7

Register the phone and watch everything sync.

Just a note, I'm not a programmer or anything... soo anything technical someone else will need to help you unfortunately, but as someone did request that a step by step be written up and I didn't notice one before I felt what the heck right?

DigiRhino

Dec 19, 2008
Gudja
I'm hoping you can help me,
I got to the step where i have to open the shell but after i find the right command ( adb shell ) it is not recognised. I just recieved my dev phone and i'm not getting a data plan. also, what is a shell?
please and thanks,
DigiRhino

EDIT
fixed it, i was typing the wrong comand, instead of the propper one i was stopping at the directory. instead it should be directory of sdk\tools\adb shell, this worked while i was on the touch android screen and i had already installed everything. if anyone in the same situation i was in needs help, feel free to ask . i'm usually online so dont hesitate
DigiRhino

Last edited:

Meeker

Dec 10, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Effective the shell session is just a command line to the phone? I guess that's the best way I can explain it? When you type it in the cursor will change to
a $ sign to let you know the session is open

Meeker

Sk8erAndroid

Dec 26, 2008
Installing Drivers

I am having a few issues regarding the installation of my G1 Drivers.

When I plug in my G1 to my pc ( Unactivated G1 Phone ), it doesn't ask me to look for drivers to install. Somehow, a few drivers were automatically installed, and my G1 Directory pops-up ( My music and images folder ). I believe this is the USB drivers, as HTC USB Driver is listed in my hardware manager.

However, when I execute the following command : adb devices, it doesn't show my attached phone. What do I do?
Is there any other application that I need? Is eclipse required.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've found a way to register the G1 in the initial registration screen that comes up the first time you boot the phone (or after you wipe the phone). It will allow you to register if you don't have a sim card at all, or if you have a sim card but no data plan.

First, You must have either RC29 or earlier, or modded RC30. It won't work with official RC30, sorry. If you don't know for sure what version you have, but you know you haven't installed a modified RC30 build, then the easiest way to check is to reboot the phone, and once it starts up and is showing the "click the android to begin" screen, or the "no sim card" screen, then type the following on the phone keyboard

<enter>reboot<enter>

If it reboots, then you have RC29 or ealier. Otherwise you have RC30.

Second, you must have adb installed on your computer, and have the USB drivers installed, or at least ready to install when it asks for the driver when you connect the G1. See this page for details on how to get adb working: http://code.google.com/android/intro/develop-and-debug.html#developingondevicehardware

Third, you must have a wifi network that you can connect to.

There are too many possibilities to write specific step-by-step instructions for every case. So I will give an overview of the process instead. If someone else wants to write some specific instructions, that would be welcome :D

-----------

When you start up the phone without a sim card, it goes into a locked screen that says "no sim card found", and you can't even get into the registration app. So the first step is to get around that screen. You have to connect to your phone with adb shell and get root access, and then type the following command:
    sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "INSERT INTO system (name, value) VALUES ('device_provisioned', 1);"

And then reboot the phone. When it starts up again it will go into the registration screen instead of the locked "no sim card" screen.

This assumes that you have the sqlite3 binary on your phone. This binary is provided in RC30 v1.2. Alternatively, you could manually copy the binary to your phone with adb push, or put it on the sdcard and copy it to your phone. I can post a copy of just the sqlite3 binary if needed.

-----------

The second step is to enable and configure wifi, so that the registration process can connect to the google servers. In an adb shell session, type the following command:

This doesn't have to have root access to work. It works fine with the "shell" user that adb on non-modded phones runs as.

That command will bring up the settings page on your phone. From there, you can enable wifi and connect to your wifi network, and then proceed with registration as per normal :D

------------

A few tips and tricks:

- If you have an official RC29 or lower phone, type the following command on the phone keyboard to enable adb:
    <enter>setprop persist.service.adb.enable 1<enter>

- If you need to get root access on an official RC29 or lower phone, while it's at the registration screen, or the "no sim card" screen, enable adb (see first tip), and then type the following command on the phone keyboard:
    <enter>telnetd<enter>

Now, copy a busybox binary to /data/local/busybox with adb push, and then connect to your phone with adb shell, and give the busybox binary execute permissions (i.e. chmod 755 /data/local/busybox)

busybox has a telnet applet, so you can do:
    busybox telnet 127.0.0.1
    to get a telnet session with root access.

- If you don't want to register the phone at all, you can set the app.setupwizard.disable property to 0 to prevent registration. Once you have an adb shell session open, type the following:

setprop app.setupwizard.disable 1

and then reboot. once it loads back up, it should bypass the registration screen all-together.

But beware, the phone seems a bit glitchy if you don't have it registered. For example, the home button doesn't seem to work. And you can't access the market or any of the google apps of course.

(Note: the following was the previous way to skip registration. I'll keep it here for informational purposes, but its easier to use the app.setupwizard.disable method instead of this)

- If you don't want to register the phone at all, you can edit /data/system/packages.xml and disable the registration screen. Add the following to the end of the <package> section for com.android.setupwizard, and then reboot:

<disabled-components>
    <item name="com.android.setupwizard.SetupWizardActivity" />
    </disabled-components>

so the full <package> would look something like below after the modification:

<package name="com.android.setupwizard" codePath="/system/app/SetupWizard.apk" system="true" ts="1217592000000" userId="10010">
    <sigs count="1">
    <cert index="0" />
    </sigs>
    <disabled-components>
    <item name="com.android.setupwizard.SetupWizardActivity" />
    </disabled-components>
    </package>
    thanks JF you are good in this thing.

My case i have sim card without data plan, when turn on phone show me screen for register email account with google.

c:\adb shell
    show me # simbol

and in the phone show me the menu for connect to my wireless :eek:

conected, registered, go ahead.

thanks
    Tried it all, no success. HELP

I have a G1 and it does not recognize SIM card. I was able to enable adb access, but problem starts there:

- I cant connect adb shell with root access (I type su after adb shell and I get permission denied)
    - I also can't bring up the Settings pane (typing "am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings" while on adb shell. I do it once, it does nothing, and second time it calls: "Warning: Activity not started, its current task has been brought to the front")

The screen continues to display the No SIM Card message and I can't get past it. HELP PLEASE. Thanks in advance

P.S: I am quite a noob, but I know well how to use adb and stuff, and I know I'm on RC29 because phone reboots when I type the command.
    Also I couldn't find the modded RC30 anywhere, but I managed to get the sqlite3 binary (although I can't use because I can't get to that point lol)

Thank you guys

EDIT: Oddly enough, I repeated all the steps with an SD Card inserted and it worked. I got past the No SIM Card screen and could register. You guys rock