External Harddrives

Search This thread

matt11601

Jun 10, 2008

That would be ideal. I remember people in the Nexus 7 forums trying this, but not sure if they were successful (haven't been keeping up). The alternative, which is my personal preference, would be continuous charging via the pogo pins (if something like this is ever released) and OTG/external HD.

Lumsdoni

Nov 20, 2007
Hitchin, UK
I'm sure I should know the answer to this....

Am I rgiht in thinking that THE ONLY WAY to copy files to the Nexus via OTG is via Nexus Media Importer?

I have a rooted N10 32gb, with an OTG cable that works well on NMI, but USB sticks / SD cards don't show on file explorers.

It's not a big deal as dropbox does pretty well on it's own - I just wanted to make sure.

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
I'm sure I should know the answer to this....

Am I rgiht in thinking that THE ONLY WAY to copy files to the Nexus via OTG is via Nexus Media Importer?

I have a rooted N10 32gb, with an OTG cable that works well on NMI, but USB sticks / SD cards don't show on file explorers.

It's not a big deal as dropbox does pretty well on it's own - I just wanted to make sure.
But moving files regularly, connecting the device to a PC as storage works, right?

groaner

Jan 4, 2009
Ottawa
I've tried 2 different hard drives to be recognized by the media importer with no luck. I am trying a full format (ntfs) on a 250gb drive.
My first question is will NTFS work?
2nd, has anyone actually gotten a hd to work with this or just thumb drives?

The only thing in common with these drives are that they are laptop drives in adapters. They aren't packaged deals. I don't know if that will make a difference. My thumb drives work so I know the OTG cable works.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

groaner

Jan 4, 2009
Ottawa
I've tried 2 different hard drives to be recognized by the media importer with no luck. I am trying a full format (ntfs) on a 250gb drive.
My first question is will NTFS work?
2nd, has anyone actually gotten a hd to work with this or just thumb drives?

The only thing in common with these drives are that they are laptop drives in adapters. They aren't packaged deals. I don't know if that will make a difference. My thumb drives work so I know the OTG cable works.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

As it turns out, these cheap cases with a hard drive you put in them are not compatible. I tried two of them and as I said, they did not work. I then tried a WD one i have and it worked.

so there you have it, dont go cheap.

:silly:

anderswede

Aug 31, 2012
Does this mean we're in 1080p heaven?

OK, so with a portabel harddrive (powered through the USB-port), all the movies in .rar-format (only small files) and BSplayer (which has no trouble with .rar-playback, just like XBMC), I've suddenly got all my 1080p-movies available when I travel?

Is that correct? Has anyone tried this?

slight22

Aug 24, 2009
Get Nexus media app. No root required and you can use hard drives :)

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app

Works like a charm, thx. Stickmount actually don't work on the 4.2 yet.

But my N10 is unlocked and rooted so it's possible that had an effect, but so far my 720p tv shows (mkv) play without issue. Though i do have to run on S/W sounds on some. I could only wish we had a cccp style codec that would play everything.

Last edited:

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
Works like a charm, thx. Stickmount actually don't work on the 4.2 yet.

But my N10 is unlocked and rooted so it's possible that had an effect, but so far my 720p tv shows (mkv) play without issue. Though i do have to run on S/W sounds on some. I could only wish we had a cccp style codec that would play everything.

Stickmount works fine with the USB2Go cable I bought for my N7, with a SD card reader and 4 different USB thumb drives of varying sizes. I have my entire music collection on a 64 gig thumb drive, and was able to play them from PowerAmp.

It doesn't work with a 750gb 2.5" HDD (my old laptop drive) in a USB 3.0/SATA enclosure, it lights up but there's not enough power to spin it up.

NLPUNITED

Aug 11, 2012
Montreal
Bought a 1tb drive today on blackfriday. Cant wait to get the Tab and start watching movies/shows from it! Done with Movie streaming on my phone in bed

jmcharles

Jun 15, 2010
I tried our 500gb external, and was hopeful for a moment when it powered up and started showing files, but it was short lived. It just kept disconnecting like there wasn't enough power.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Jonathanh88

Apr 14, 2012
works

awesome.. i was really hoping i could hook my external to mine and it works.. I have a WD 2TB My Passport(no external power source) and it worked with my nex10.. no rooting or anything. i used this ****ty ass usb OTG cable that barely works. if i barely move the cable it disconnects.. i need to hunt down a better USB to Micro usb adapter that will ship here to hawaii..cus nobody seems to ship otg cables to hawaii on amazon for some reason. at least i can confirm that it works :)

slight22

Aug 24, 2009
Stickmount works fine with the USB2Go cable I bought for my N7, with a SD card reader and 4 different USB thumb drives of varying sizes. I have my entire music collection on a 64 gig thumb drive, and was able to play them from PowerAmp.

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but i'm running 4.2 on both my N7 and my N10 and stickmount (on the n7) won't work, and stickmount pro (on the n10) will not work either.

So there is deffinetly something in 4.2 that prevents OTG from working with SM. However OTG and Nexus Media Importer seem to be working perfectly with both 32 and 64 gig mem sticks. (or thumb drives if you prefer)... wish i had a 128 or 256 stick lol

king conan

Jan 20, 2010
I'm sorry to disagree with you, but i'm running 4.2 on both my N7 and my N10 and stickmount (on the n7) won't work, and stickmount pro (on the n10) will not work either.

So there is deffinetly something in 4.2 that prevents OTG from working with SM. However OTG and Nexus Media Importer seem to be working perfectly with both 32 and 64 gig mem sticks. (or thumb drives if you prefer)... wish i had a 128 or 256 stick lol

Well, Stickmount with 4.2 in Nexus 10 indeed works. The behaviour is not great though. Most of the times to see the files in a pendrive you have to unplug and plug it again. So it seems a little bit unstable but at least in my case in my rooted N10, stickmount works.

Niggo372

Aug 28, 2010
Berlin
I'm using a WD MyPassport 500GB and it works, but only if the battery is above about 50%. If its lower it seems that there is not enough power on the USB port. Is that normal or should i return the drive?

Last edited:

Mar 3, 2012
I tried our 500gb external, and was hopeful for a moment when it powered up and started showing files, but it was short lived. It just kept disconnecting like there wasn't enough power.

Exact same thing happened with my and my 2.5inch WD 500gb drive

Maybe these HDD's require too much power to be powered off the port itself... would an SSD work? Currently I'm carrying multiple usb sticks which isn't ideal...

groaner

Jan 4, 2009
Ottawa
See now this is th eproblem, you cant power your tablet at the same time as playing a movie, like if I were to play a movie to a tv while having my tab plugged in to keep it charged (worked like a charm when I was up at a cottage with my Iconia that is charged from a separate plug).

Has anyone tried the dual USB adapters? if you plug the drive in one and power to the other one, I wonder if that works.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Get Nexus media app. No root required and you can use hard drives :)

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app
    I can confirm that the WD My Passport for Mac (500GB) was able to be powered by my Nexus 7, with a cheap chinese OTG cable, without any issue whatsoever.

Can't say if it will also work with a Nexus 10 or not, but I would assume there would be no issue.
    I have so far used 3 external hds on my nexus 10
    1- samsung 1tb 2.5" without external power
    2- lacie external 3.5"
    3-one of those caddy things where you just pop a sata drive in (vertically). This is not an enclosure as such. All 3 work. the drives in 1 and 2 are as purchased. with 3 i just use any old sata drive.
    Actually, I attached my Samsung 2,5'' 1tb HDD today to my new nexus 10 (writing on it right now btw), and it powered up. Sticky Mount recognized the HDD, though I wasnt able to access it without root permission... Got the tablet early this morning :)
    I run a lacie p9300 SSD 120GB and it works without a powered hub with no issues. It does have problems reading the drive though when my battery level reaches ~20% but I think that is due to the n10 limiting power to the micro port as it tries to conserve battery power...which is why I bought a pogo cable.

Apparently the pogo stops drawing power when OTG is being used. Check out the threads on the pogo cable for more info. Not good...