Carrier Unlocking Sprints Photon Q

Search This thread

Morecrabs

Jan 11, 2014
Ok, b4 I get 15 people Pointing me to an irrelevant Thread Not related to this Device , Directing someone to a thread where they arent Interested in the device supported in this forum doesnt provide answers lets discuss In detail carrier unlocking this device

1. Can this be accomplished by Flashing a new Radio Firmware? if so does one exist?

2. if this can be accomplished VIA RadioComm Has anyone dabbled in the MPQ Firmware Specificly for US carriers?

3. there are No threads specifically Covering this topic pertaining to this device and Instead of redirecting everyone Lets start one

kabaldan

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2009
Prague
android.doshaska.net
Ok, b4 I get 15 people Pointing me to an irrelevant Thread Not related to this Device , Directing someone to a thread where they arent Interested in the device supported in this forum doesnt provide answers lets discuss In detail carrier unlocking this device

1. Can this be accomplished by Flashing a new Radio Firmware? if so does one exist?

2. if this can be accomplished VIA RadioComm Has anyone dabbled in the MPQ Firmware Specificly for US carriers?

3. there are No threads specifically Covering this topic pertaining to this device and Instead of redirecting everyone Lets start one

1. No

2. Yes

You need to be on stock ics firmware for the NV edit to succeed and stick.
Use Android 4.0.4 Blur_Version.77.8.14.XT897.Sprint.en.US - http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=3
If you're downgrading from jellybean, you have to remove the line with flash gpt_main0.bin from the xml file, otherwise the flashing via rsdlite will fail.
Code:
[STRIKE]<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt_main0.bin" MD5="6C05E70F1DCC59AD92B0BBEC4E6100ED" />[/STRIKE]
The firmware thread is here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2095536

Then you can follow this (RadioComm):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2166542
or this (CDMA WS) guide:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2386871

After it's done, you should flash the stock Android 4.1.2 via rsdlite, then install CM10.2 (or any other custom ROM) again.

Last edited:

Morecrabs

Jan 11, 2014
soo i have reason to believe this device I bought is actually a developer Model under my developer Options it has a development device ID d7vk-gus7-rvcl-s does that mean this unit is already carrier unlocked and i can simply skip the Radio comm steps? Im having a few radio Comm issues that are making me alil squimish it keeps telling me its not loading the card driver, because of a 64/32 bit difference and it tells me that it wont be able to properly enumerate values

any radiocomm setup suggestions?

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
soo i have reason to believe this device I bought is actually a developer Model under my developer Options it has a development device ID d7vk-gus7-rvcl-s does that mean this unit is already carrier unlocked and i can simply skip the Radio comm steps? Im having a few radio Comm issues that are making me alil squimish it keeps telling me its not loading the card driver, because of a 64/32 bit difference and it tells me that it wont be able to properly enumerate values

any radiocomm setup suggestions?

That development ID is simply for identifying your device under debugging circumstances like ADB, every device has them. Also, flashing another ROM changes this value.

Sent from Google Nexus 4 @ CM11

Morecrabs

Jan 11, 2014
ok so that was a dumb decision to come to, but its not something id ever seen on any of my other android devices, Droid 1,2,4 samsung captivate glide, so i figured it was related to the developer Models

Do I need to run my copy of radio Comm on a 32 bit machine to accomplish this hacking?

my 64 bit machines seem to have driver related issues with the software

Morecrabs

Jan 11, 2014
was wondering if anyone could help me setup the drivers, I keep getting errors with Radio comm and cdma workshop, and it all boils down to driver issues, with cdma workshop i cant get the QC port setup because IM missing a driver, and with radio comm, I cant get it to communicate properly with the phone once i boot into fastboot any help suggestions? ive installed the moto drivers and setup on a PC with a 32 bit version of win7 starter to allow radio comm to setup properly

In radio comm it will ID the phone as xt897 and i can get software version if its booted into OS, but it will do nothing else

Last edited:

stargo

Jan 7, 2011
Fürth
Hi,

I have written a small application which can be run on the phone and which removes the US carrier lock by sending the NV-commands to the diag-interface directly without the need for an external computer. I did this because the other method did not really work reliable for me (probably because I'm using a virtualized windows-installation).

This program works on the CM-11 builds. I have not tested stock, it may not contain the necessary diag_tty-support in the kernel.

1. download the binary: http://bork.cs.fau.de/~michael/photonq/xt897-fix-usa
  2. copy the binary to /data/local/tmp/
  3. make it executable (adb or terminal): chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/xt897-fix-usa
  4. run the binary (adb or terminal):
    Code:
    shell@asanti_c:/ $ su
    root@asanti_c:/ # /data/local/tmp/xt897-fix-usa
    Setting logging_mode to internal...
    Creating /dev/diag_tty...
    Opened diag...
    Getting value of NV-item 8322...
    GSM outside USA only: 1
    Setting value of NV-item 8322 to 0...
    GSM outside USA only: 0
    Setting logging_mode to usb...

If you want to reinstate the lock, you can run: /data/local/tmp/xt897-fix-usa lock

You can find the source-code here: https://github.com/stargo/xt897-fix-usa

EDIT: Works fine on stock rooted JB, too, and sticks after a reboot.

EDIT2: This is now included as "unlock-us-gsm" in CM12.0 and up on XT897, XT907 and XT926. To use it run "unlock-us-gsm" in a root shell:
Code:
root@asanti_c:/ # unlock-us-gsm
Opened diag...

Reading value of NV-item 8322...
GSM locked in the US: 1
GSM locked in the US: 0

Regards,
Michael

Last edited:

enigma9o7

Jun 26, 2014
San Jose
F(x)tec Pro1-X
I have written a small application which can be run on the phone and which removes the US carrier lock by sending the NV-commands to the diag-interface directly without the need for an external computer

Excellent! I picked a good day to try to figure out how to do this, I was making notes of all the various steps (install ics on phone, use radiocomm on pc, install jb on phone, then cm on phone) when I got to this post and realized I won't need to do any of that, thanks much!

Last edited:

DroidRazrMv

Sep 8, 2014
Terminal Emulator Question

Hi,

I have written a small application which can be run on the phone and which removes the US carrier lock by sending the NV-commands to the diag-interface directly without the need for an external computer. I did this because the other method did not really work reliable for me (probably because I'm using a virtualized windows-installation).

This program works on the CM-11 builds. I have not tested stock, it may not contain the necessary diag_tty-support in the kernel.

1. download the binary: http //bork cs fau de/~michael/photonq/xt897-fix-usa
  3. make it executable (adb or terminal): chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/xt897-fix-usa
    [CODE
    Opened diag...
    [/CODE]

If you want to reinstate the lock, you can run: /data/local/tmp/xt897-fix-usa lock

You can find the source-code here: https //github com/stargo/xt897-fix-usa

Regards,
Michael

I'm trying out this method on my xt897 (Razr M) and Im up to the point where I need to run the binary but I'm not sure how to enter multiple lines into the terminal to run that last step, I've tried searching around and found nothing, any help would be much appreciated.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
I'm trying out this method on my xt897 (Razr M) and Im up to the point where I need to run the binary but I'm not sure how to enter multiple lines into the terminal to run that last step, I've tried searching around and found nothing, any help would be much appreciated.

Just FYI, RAZR M is xt907.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean - just run the script/binary from the shell. "su" is one line - gives you root access. The next line just runs the binary, "/data/local/tmp/xt897-fix-usa"

Good luck.

DroidRazrMv

Sep 8, 2014
Just FYI, RAZR M is xt907.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean - just run the script/binary from the shell. "su" is one line - gives you root access. The next line just runs the binary, "/data/local/tmp/xt897-fix-usa"

Good luck.

Ah whoops my mistake, thank you, yeah I definitely meant xt907, I typed that in during my lunch break so I was somewhat rushed. Anywho I meant to try it out according to kabaldan's post on http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2166542&page=87.
So I'm going to test it out momentarily to see if I can run it on the xt907. Thanks again for your help, I was just somewhat confused about the terminal commands.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Ah whoops my mistake, thank you, yeah I definitely meant xt907, I typed that in during my lunch break so I was somewhat rushed. Anywho I meant to try it out according to kabaldan's post on http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2166542&page=87.
So I'm going to test it out momentarily to see if I can run it on the xt907. Thanks again for your help, I was just somewhat confused about the terminal commands.

Still confused as to where you're having issues - we are both talking about the same post. If you look, kabaldan's post redirects to the one I am referencing....

matt2k12

Jul 13, 2012
Texas
So once these steps are used to unlock the phone, which carriers can be used and how does flashing of carrier info occur?

enigma9o7

Jun 26, 2014
San Jose
F(x)tec Pro1-X
Just want to say thanks again Michael. I just got my new Photon Q back from having sim card slot installed, ran your program and it worked perfectly on 21OCT2014 CM nightly.

I did also change a couple settings in the phone menu too, cuz I put an AT&T sim card in it, but sprint kept calling me to activate. Seems to be working well now, but not sure I understand everything, does this seem right - in regular CM11 settings menu under Mobile network settings, I set Preferred network type to "GSM/WCDMA Auto".

Hi,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

1. download the binary: http://bork.cs.fau.de/~michael/photonq/xt897-fix-usa
      Code:
      Opened diag...

You can find the source-code here: https://github.com/stargo/xt897-fix-usa

EDIT2: This is now included as "unlock-us-gsm" in CM12.0 and up on XT897, XT907 and XT926. To use it run "unlock-us-gsm" in a root shell:
    Code:
    root@asanti_c:/ # unlock-us-gsm
    Opened diag...

GSM locked in the US: 1
    GSM locked in the US: 0

Regards,