How long will the 2012 Nexus 7 be supported?

Search This thread

Wil Badger

Jan 18, 2009
Salt Lake
Even if they do drop support for it that's what places like this are for. I'm still rocking a 5 year old phone. Granted it might not be as fancy as the newer models out there. With custom ROMs produced by the fine people of this site it's still up to date as far as what OS it can run.

sinple

May 10, 2012
i think probably soon. htc one X with tegra 3 has dropped support saying nividia did not provide the driver. I reckon for the next update, google will probably say the same thing. Just like how they stop updating galaxy nexus with the same reason

jonny68

Mar 27, 2010
Dublin
There will still be custom ROM's that you can flash and it'll be compatible for years to come.

I've no intention of getting another tablet for a while yet I may get a chrome book next but I primarily use my Nexus 7, best thing I ever bought.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Erovia

Sep 16, 2012
jonny68 got the point. There are KK roms even for the Nexus S so I'm sure we will be running the upcoming versions of Android on our N7.

Uncleheff

Oct 21, 2013
Martinsville
There will still be custom ROM's that you can flash and it'll be compatible for years to come.

I've no intention of getting another tablet for a while yet I may get a chrome book next but I primarily use my Nexus 7, best thing I ever bought.

Agreed....best thing I ever bought. Totally worth the money and when it comes to support.....I'm still using a 2011 HTC rezound running kit kat thanks to the developers on here. Our nexus 7 (2012) will get updates thanks to developers for quite a while still.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

robjperez

Mar 19, 2014
Madrid
As you know Kitkat is not compatible with Galaxy Nexus, a 2011 device...

I still think that new version of Android will be compatible with Nexus 2012 (I have one so I hope so too), but probably that was the last officialy version released for this device.

It could change if they sell a new Nexus 7 this year. If they do so... I think that they will drop Nexus 2012 support this year...

Erovia

Sep 16, 2012
The official GNex was dropped not because of the device itself (KK runs fine on my gf's GNex), but because the SoC's manufacturer (Texas Instruments) closed its SoC division and so they stopped updating the drivers and Google wants updated drivers in every new releases.

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
The official GNex was dropped not because of the device itself (KK runs fine on my gf's GNex), but because the SoC's manufacturer (Texas Instruments) closed its SoC division and so they stopped updating the drivers and Google wants updated drivers in every new releases.

As an owner of a previous Tegra device (g2x) I'm pretty aware of the vendor's level of support: None. Basically, once Google is done with it, nVidia will be done as well. So I wouldn't count on upgrades going on forever like we're used to with Qualcomm devices. Still, I'm getting one cheap as a backup for my N7 2013 LTE (which is in the process of getting a new screen leaving me tablet-less for now... ugh)...

datallboy

Feb 7, 2013
Nexus devices usually get support for 18 months. So it will most likely kit kat is the last update for nexus 7 2012.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Last edited: