[Video] How to perm root your g2

Search This thread

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
this is what i get while using PC10IMG.zip screenshots attached...
i have no clue why its not recognising the file from the sdcard, i even tried formatting the sdcard and only keeping PC10IMG.zip on it but still no use..

Well, you do seem to have the G2 hboot on your DZ, and if you have a DZ ROM then I'm not too suprised if weird things are happening.

You may be able to flash the hboot itself via fastboot.

ravijohn

Dec 22, 2010
you mean to say that i can get back the original HBOOT for DZ and its possible through fastboot itself?? how do i do this?

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
you mean to say that i can get back the original HBOOT for DZ and its possible through fastboot itself?? how do i do this?

If you have got adb setup and working, then fastboot should be setup too. What I was thinking of was the command "fastboot flash boot boot.img", where boot.img is the correct hboot. HOWEVER, I have not tried this and am not 100% sure if the "boot" partition that fastboot can flash is the actual hboot partition, or something else. So I would like someone else with more knowledge to confirm this before you try it.

ALF2010

Jan 26, 2011
Sao Paulo
Hey Guys, Newb here,

I followed the steps from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=928160&highlight=gfree+verify and things seemed to work properly. I checked by booting up and S-OFF was in the first line, so its rooted. I am just wondering if there is a way to check that sim is unlocked now? I've been trying to find a step by step guide to using gfree verify, but couldn't find one.

EDIT: I was able to get verify to work, everything is successfully rooted and unlocked!

Last edited:

stormbeta

Jan 30, 2011
I just tried rooting my G2, following the wiki guide and everything seemed to work correctly until I rebooted my phone. My phone rebooted just fine, but when I tried to run the verify it didn't work, and after checking something else it seems like it didn't work.

I followed the instructions to the letter, the only exception being that I used
Code:
./gfree -s off
instead of
Code:
./gfree -f
because I'm already on an unlocked phone (on AT&T for awhile yet and I don't mind EDGE because I'm near a wifi 95% of the time).

I'm a bit hesitant to try it again until I can figure out why it didn't work.

Phone ROM is 1.22.531.8 if that's any help.

Edit: Seems I need to downgrade my radio firmware, but what I'm reading says that wipes the phone. Is there anyway to get a full ROM backup with temp root?

Last edited:

romdroid.

Jul 27, 2010
does this work for htc desire z (eu verison?)

with 2.2.1 froyo?

Last edited:

legendaryxm90

Jul 8, 2010
Can anyone help? Visionary hasn't worked for me not once yet. Either it completes the process and goes back to the option scren, Superuser is installed, yet Terminal denies me su, or it freezes on a black screen. -_-

123rolle

Aug 31, 2010
I have Desire Z (Finnish unlocked version (no G2)). Can I temp root my phone if I have software version 1.72 or do I have to downgrade to 1.34. I am only interested in temp rooting not perm root. Thank you in advance.

MicFizzle

Mar 3, 2011
Helena, AL
Help please

After following the directions on the Wiki to PermaRoot my T-Mobile G2 http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=HTC_Vision#How_To_Get_R.2FW_Access_.28Permanent_Root_.2F_.22Permaroot.22.29 I got to the last step and it tells me that I should get an error message containing "mkdir: /system/xbin already exists", which I did, it then goes on to say that the rest of the script should run fine and to give it some time...How much time should I give it? I'm not getting any extra lines of code after that error message...I've even ignore this and tried to verify using gfree's verify software but I keep getting denied permission in the second line of code in the shell. Please help me!!!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanx to blackprince310 that posted a tutorial video on youtube on how to perm root your g2..so now there's a video for all of us.. Subscribe to his youtube channel.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU9zn_BEth4

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App
    The Desire Z has received a new unrootable OTA 1.72 update.
    I am going to purchase a brand new G2 from T-mo and I was wondering if this update has migrated to the G2?
    In other words, are G2s rootable as of the time of this post?

At the time of this post, yes, you can still root your G2. I imagine that at some point the G2 will receive the additional security of the 1.72 Desire Z OTA, but hopefully by that time the security will have been cracked.
    First of all im sorry if im posting this in the wrong area. I have read millions of pages on this forum and other and am really really confused. I have a Desire Z and it was running stock rom with the following details:
    HBOOT - 0.76.2000 (PC1011000)
    MICROP-0425
    RADIO-26.03.02.26_M
    eMMC-boot
    OS 1.34.707.5

Since d rage method was not working for me initially due to ADB issues, i tried Visionary as an easy way out and now i seem to have semi-bricked my device as im always facing boot loop screen. I hadnt made any typos, everything was done as said. I have managed to get S-OFF and had enable USB Debugging before the perm root. However after this boot loop issue started, im unable to use ADB alongwith FASTBOOT as it doesnt list my device under attached devices on using ADB DEVICES command. Initially i also had a driver issue as it was detecting an android 1.0 device but i guess i solved that by using PDAnet drivers but still no success with ADB. I have never made any custom/ nandroid backups and im very confused as to what to do. I took my phone to HTC but since the 'z' is not yet launced here they said I would have to wait till the official launch (wtf).. is there any way to recover my device? i dont even mind using the old STOCK rom, i only wanted to root to enable 'trackpad wake' and 'overclocking'.. Please help me out folks

First off, on adb, have you tried this guide - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=865685 ? That tells you where to get the necessary drivers.

I realise adb won't help you right now though.

Your hboot version sounds odd, sounds like you have the G2 eng hboot even though you have a DZ, I wonder if that's why it's boot looping ?

Can you get into hboot through starting with the phone off, holding down Volume Down, then holding Power until it switches on ? If so you may want to try flashing a new ROM from your SD card. The one at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=820410&highlight=707 sounds the closest to what you're running at the moment. This is an Asian ROM, right ? If you download that and call it "PC10IMG.zip" and place it in the top (root) folder of your SD card, then boot into hboot it should find it and ask if you want to flash it. However, beware that this will wipe all your existing settings/data etc.

If you can get into hboot then there are also some different recovery options if it is an ENG hboot, e.g. trying to flash new stuff via fastboot from your PC. Though you will need to get adb working for that (which enables fastboot too) - see the linked guide above.