[SUCCESS] Interop-Unlocking LUMIA - with JTAG

Search This thread

lordmaxey

May 6, 2012
Hi there:)

Well, as we really need Interop Unlock for our Lumia phones, i decided to check this out myself.
As i already have ATF Box for a long time, i decided to buy JTAG activation and dolphin clip + lumia jigs, that i do not have to solder my phone.
Also i have ordered a Lumia 520 testing phone on ebay.

So, as the ATF Team made an awesome JTAG software update, i'm trying to interop unlock that Lumia 520 the hardware way, as just software seems to be too tough...

Well, what i did so far:
1. Freshly flashed Lumia 520 RM-914 with latest stock rom
2. Did the setup/beginning after turning it on for 1st time
3. developer unlocked it with SDK on PC
4. Made Full Dump with JTAG from dev-unlocked phone
5. Mounted MainOS partition of dump with program "OSFMount" (-->appears as Local harddisk example drive E: )
6.Loaded the SOFTWARE hive with regedit on PC from "E:\Windows\System32\config"
7. Edited the following values:
PortalUrlInt = http://127.0.0.1
PortalUrlProd = http://127.0.0.1
MaxUnsignedApp = 10003
8. unloaded SOFTWARE hive
9. unmounted dump-image
10. wrote image back via jtag

I thought it might be a good Idea to dev-unlock the phone before messing with the registry, to make sure "DeveloperUnlockState = 1" gets written the "legal" way, as the key is not available in registry before.
Maybe it's better to just modify an existing key, than adding a new one...

Well, long story short: The result is not totally satisfying.:(

After writing the modified image back to the EMMC, the phone is booting up, but i can NOT deploy homebrew apps that require interop unlock, like @GoodDayToDies "EnableAllSideloading.xap" for example.
But i can deploy "nomal" apps like @cpuguys "Toastlauncher" and @GoodDayToDies "Webserver"

The weird thing: If i check the reg-values via WebServer on the Phone, i can see my edited values.
So the changes ARE written to the phone. The phone just doesn't use them...

So, the good thing: phone is booting with modified rom :good:
But, the bad thing: Changes are not working. :confused:

EDIT:

SUCCESS!!!
After adding
ID_CAP_DEVELOPERUNLOCK_API.jpg

i could successfully sideload "EnableAllSideloading.xap"

After executing enableallsideloading i could sideload latest WPHTweaks build.

Now i have 3rd tile row enabled! :)
Lumia_520_3rd_tile_row.jpg

awesome!

Also member @myst02 is working on interop-unlocking the lumia phones. So we decided to make this a together-project.
See his achievements here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2713098&page=10
:good:

Attachments

• WP_20140401_18_28_00_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140401_18_28_00_Pro.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 10,331
  • WP_20140403_22_06_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140403_22_06_51_Pro.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 20,367
  • WP_20140403_22_07_24_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140403_22_07_24_Pro.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 10,340
  • Webserver01.JPG
    Webserver01.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 8,399
  • Webserver02.JPG
    Webserver02.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 7,610
  • Webserver03.JPG
    Webserver03.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 6,632
Last edited:

error0x0000034

Dec 28, 2013
wparea.de
to be able to sideload EnableAllSideloading.xap you need to change following registry key:

Software\Microsoft\SecurityManager\CapabilityClasses
add: MultiSz String
name: ID_CAP_DEVELOPERUNLOCK_API
value: CAPABILITY_CLASS_THIRD_PARTY_APPLICATIONS

have fun.

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
Wow you did a fantastic job
as @error0x0000034 mentioned you forget to open DeveloperUnlock_API
Software\Microsoft\SecurityManager\CapabilityClass es

Reactions: lordmaxey

lordmaxey

May 6, 2012
BTW, it's not a real "hack", and not acceptable/affordable for the 99.9% Lumia users and developers...
Yeah, but it's at least something worth trying :D

Wow you did a fantastic job
as @error0x0000034 mentioned you forget to open DeveloperUnlock_API
Software\Microsoft\SecurityManager\CapabilityClass es
Oh, i see...
I'm just wondering that this CAP was not secessary on Ativ S?
Or am i wrong?
I really thought it was just the 3 regkeys quoted in the first post... :confused:

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
Yeah, but it's at least something worth trying :D

Oh, i see...
I'm just wondering that this CAP was not secessary on Ativ S?
Or am i wrong?
I really thought it was just the 3 regkeys quoted in the first post... :confused:

I don't remember Ativ S Interop but I know it had a BootStrap app
maybe that app unlock this api i'm not sure but I know you have to open this cap first to run EnableAllCapabilities

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
No Android Fanboys Please !!!
Nice work :good:

so now , you can make a small bussines with this :D
interop unlock for only *** $ :D

and you are now the one and only interop unlocked retail Lumia owner :D

Last edited:

lordmaxey

May 6, 2012
Nice work :good:

so now , you can make a small bussines with this :D
interop unlock for only *** $ :D
Haha :D Yay, i'm going to be rich :D *lol*

and you are now the one and only interop unlocked retail Lumia owner :D
No, not yet.
I'm trying to deploy the bootstrap samsung app to the 520 this afternoon. If it works, i maybe can deploy the other apps.
If not, i'm trying to open that CAP by editing the Dump again and writing it back via JTAG.

We'll see, but i'm curious :)

btw: Why are these damn smileys always displayed in the next line?

Reactions: Leo_zodiac

error0x0000034

Dec 28, 2013
wparea.de

No, not yet.
I'm trying to deploy the bootstrap samsung app to the 520 this afternoon. If it works, i maybe can deploy the other apps.
If not, i'm trying to open that CAP by editing the Dump again and writing it back via JTAG.

Samsung Bootstrap uses some Samsung-specific DLLs as far as I know. This won't help you, tried this already on my Huawei Ascend W1. This won't work on your Lumia either I think. But its worth a try of course.

You'll have to edit the registry key I mentioned before to be able to sideload EnableAllSideloading.xap. You need to load the SOFTWARE file from Windows/System32/config again into your registry and edit following key. Maybe try using a registry editor on your phone before using the method you described above, but I don't think that this will work. So, you probably have no other choice than opening up your device again and edit the SOFTWARE reg-file. Then sideload EnableAllSideloading.xap and you'll be able to sideload pretty much everything you want.

Question for more experienced devs and hackers:
Is there a registry tweak or some settings anywhere else on the phone that we can access though JTAG and that allows us to boot the phone (Lumia in this case) as a mass storage device with full filesystem access? Like on the Huawei Ascend W1. This would simplify the process of changing registry keys a lot.

Best regards and good luck.

Reactions: ngame

-W_O_L_F-

Jul 10, 2010
Moscow

No, not yet.

Bootstrap Samsung will not work on Lumia.

lordmaxey

May 6, 2012
Samsung Bootstrap uses some Samsung-specific DLLs as far as I know. This won't help you, tried this already on my Huawei Ascend W1. This won't work on your Lumia either I think. But its worth a try of course.

You'll have to edit the registry key I mentioned before to be able to sideload EnableAllSideloading.xap. You need to load the SOFTWARE file from Windows/System32/config again into your registry and edit following key. Maybe try using a registry editor on your phone before using the method you described above, but I don't think that this will work. So, you probably have no other choice than opening up your device again and edit the SOFTWARE reg-file. Then sideload EnableAllSideloading.xap and you'll be able to sideload pretty much everything you want.
Like this then, right?

Ok, I'll try this next week, i sadly won't have time this weekend.

Question for more experienced devs and hackers:
Is there a registry tweak or some settings anywhere else on the phone that we can access though JTAG and that allows us to boot the phone (Lumia in this case) as a mass storage device with full filesystem access? Like on the Huawei Ascend W1. This would simplify the process of changing registry keys a lot.

Best regards and good luck.
No. once JTAG halts the phone, it's halted. You can't just "pause" the phone, make changes and continue booting. Sadly.
So, only chance is by writing the modified dump back.

Attachments

• ID_CAP_DEVELOPERUNLOCK_API.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

reker

May 23, 2009
Shanghai
It's not for Lumia only, it's a universal method for every WP8 devices (including emulator) that could enter MassStorage mode

And the Bootstrap app is not a magic, it use the system service by Samsung to modify the CapabilityClasses registry key mentioned by above and this could be done by modify reg hive directly

Last edited:

error0x0000034

Dec 28, 2013
wparea.de
Like this then, right?

Ok, I'll try this next week, i sadly won't have time this weekend.

exactly. I have done this on my Ascend W1 several times, but its easier, because I can enter Mass Storage Mode through bootloader.

No. once JTAG halts the phone, it's halted. You can't just "pause" the phone, make changes and continue booting. Sadly.
So, only chance is by writing the modified dump back.

I don't know how JTAG method works exactly, I only know that the device needed isn't cheap and can restore bricked phones. How it works? I have no idea, but I'm sure I'll learn quickly.
I will do some research on that soon. I'm a learning noob. :cyclops:

best regards,
error0x0000034

lordmaxey

May 6, 2012
I don't know how JTAG method works exactly, I only know that the device needed isn't cheap and can restore bricked phones. How it works? I have no idea, but I'm sure I'll learn quickly.
I will do some research on that soon. I'm a learning noob. :cyclops:

Me neither :D
Most credits go to X-Shadow from advance-box team.
Because i had the Idea of modifying the phone dump and read/write via JTAG.
But usually, ATF only supported bootloader repair via JTAG. So i contacted X-Shadow and within only two weeks he updated the jtag-application, and added Custom Read/Write to every part of the EMMC.

That's how i could dump the rom, modify it and write it back.
Absolutely awesome work from that team, just releasing a software because of ONE single inquiry. :) :good::good::good:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Aw crap, I totally forgot to tell you to test a pure-interop app (like the bootstrap one). You interop-unlocked but failed to capability-unlock, and most WP8 homebrew requires both so of course you couldn't sideload it. DERP :(

But hey, if you successfully edited the capability class of ID_CAP_DEVELOPERUNLOCK_API - and it looks like you did, or could - then you can use EnableAllSideloading to capability-unlock the phone (it just edits all the other capabilities' classes). I could probably also write a "BootstrapNokia" app if you'd like; I think we have interop-based registry functions for WP8 Lumias, which would allow (for example) making SamWP8 Tools work on your Nokia as well.

lordmaxey

May 6, 2012
SamWP8 tools on Nokia would be great. :)
I'll check that monday evening, when i'm back at my computer.

I'll keep you informed :)

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
Aw crap, I totally forgot to tell you to test a pure-interop app (like the bootstrap one). You interop-unlocked but failed to capability-unlock, and most WP8 homebrew requires both so of course you couldn't sideload it. DERP :(

But hey, if you successfully edited the capability class of ID_CAP_DEVELOPERUNLOCK_API - and it looks like you did, or could - then you can use EnableAllSideloading to capability-unlock the phone (it just edits all the other capabilities' classes). I could probably also write a "BootstrapNokia" app if you'd like; I think we have interop-based registry functions for WP8 Lumias, which would allow (for example) making SamWP8 Tools work on your Nokia as well.

isn't it better to put FCROUTER and other samsung dlls in Windows folder?
as far as i know ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES allow it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there:)

Well, as we really need Interop Unlock for our Lumia phones, i decided to check this out myself.
    As i already have ATF Box for a long time, i decided to buy JTAG activation and dolphin clip + lumia jigs, that i do not have to solder my phone.
    Also i have ordered a Lumia 520 testing phone on ebay.

So, as the ATF Team made an awesome JTAG software update, i'm trying to interop unlock that Lumia 520 the hardware way, as just software seems to be too tough...

Well, what i did so far:
    1. Freshly flashed Lumia 520 RM-914 with latest stock rom
    2. Did the setup/beginning after turning it on for 1st time
    3. developer unlocked it with SDK on PC
    4. Made Full Dump with JTAG from dev-unlocked phone
    5. Mounted MainOS partition of dump with program "OSFMount" (-->appears as Local harddisk example drive E: )
    6.Loaded the SOFTWARE hive with regedit on PC from "E:\Windows\System32\config"
    7. Edited the following values:
    PortalUrlInt = http://127.0.0.1
    PortalUrlProd = http://127.0.0.1
    MaxUnsignedApp = 10003
    8. unloaded SOFTWARE hive
    9. unmounted dump-image
    10. wrote image back via jtag

I thought it might be a good Idea to dev-unlock the phone before messing with the registry, to make sure "DeveloperUnlockState = 1" gets written the "legal" way, as the key is not available in registry before.
    Maybe it's better to just modify an existing key, than adding a new one...

Well, long story short: The result is not totally satisfying.:(

After writing the modified image back to the EMMC, the phone is booting up, but i can NOT deploy homebrew apps that require interop unlock, like @GoodDayToDies "EnableAllSideloading.xap" for example.
    But i can deploy "nomal" apps like @cpuguys "Toastlauncher" and @GoodDayToDies "Webserver"

The weird thing: If i check the reg-values via WebServer on the Phone, i can see my edited values.
    So the changes ARE written to the phone. The phone just doesn't use them...

So, the good thing: phone is booting with modified rom :good:
    But, the bad thing: Changes are not working. :confused:

EDIT:

SUCCESS!!!
    After adding

awesome!

Also member @myst02 is working on interop-unlocking the lumia phones. So we decided to make this a together-project.
    See his achievements here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2713098&page=10
    :good:
    Ok - i finally received my AT&T Lumia 520 (RM-915) from ebay :)

So - as i don't really need 2 520s, i'm willing to donate my interop unlocked RM-914 phone - the one with the broken screen - to a clever developer ;)
    So, i first though about @GoodDayToDie: Would you like to have my Rm-914 Lumia 520?
    Maybe this would help you researching the not-working EnableAllSideloading on 8.1...

So, if you would like to have it, i'd be happy to send it to you.
    I just need to know, if it's better to give it interop unlock on GDR3 or 8.1 to you.

Just let me know if you're interested or name another dev who might need the phone.
    Interop-unlocked Lumia 520 has arrived! I haven't had time to hack on it yet, but I've got plans. HUGE thanks to @lordmaxey for this!
    Sorry, chinese guys were doing this for ages and hit news multiple times with it :D
    Also, I was constantly reminding everyone that unlock via JTAG is possible ;)

There is one *bad* point in making this method public: according to docs, JTAG must be disabled. But Nokia doesn't really disable it the way Microsoft wants everyone to follow. I wouldn't tell you what can happen after this becoming public.

Hi,

Just some info about JTAG on Nokia Lumias...

Nokia Disables it in the QFUSE, but there is a bug/hole in Qualcomm SOCs that enables you to still use JTAG Debugging by using unorthodox ways of HALTING (Entrer DEBUG Mode).

This bug/hole was already rectified starting Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974 and its "family members), that is why there is currently no 3rd Party JTAG Box that can support these new SOCs if the Device Manufaturer sets the correct JTAG disable bits in QFUSE. I heard it is still possible via SWD but will very limited memory access. This holds true not only for Nokia, but for all other Manufacturers as well (Samsung, LG, HTC etc). Anything below Snapdragon 800 (with very few exceptions) can be debugged via JTAG even if the Manufacturer disables all JTAG bits in the QFUSE.

For Snapdragon 800, not all is lost. One can still use ISP for the eMMC if the CLK, CMD, DATA0 lines are exposed on the PCB (which is usually the case because of external pull-up resistors to VccQ).

Now as this method (Interop Unlock via JTAG) might be frowned upon because of the "hardware-approach" nature of the hack, it may still prove to be useful for developers who still want to explore a software-approach hack. I mean the developer will have more control "exploring" the possibilities when he is working on an already "unlocked" device.

Anyway, I am willing to donate my Engineering Lumia 925 with "z" apps to any Senior Developer who is determined to find a "software only" hack.

I will also provide a complimentary JTAG Box + Complete set of JIGS to allow "solderless" JTAG connection for the Lumia 925 (Just in case the Developer needs to revive the phone or if he wants to perform the hardware-method interop unlock on it).

The reason for my generosity is nothing sinister. I simply have no practical use for this phone anymore and I am always a big supporter to anything Nokia...

Best Regards,
    ATF Developer
    SUCCESS!!

SUCCESS!!!
    After adding

awesome!