Nexus 7 Car Mount - No Modification to Car!!~

Search This thread

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
Seems like a good mount but won't work in my car. As you can see from the image in the link below the line of the 3 vents in the center of the console is continued onto the top of the dashboard making 3 humps in an otherwise flat surface. I've replaced the factory steroid so a CD mount won't work. And to top it all off there isn't even close to a tablet sized flat area for a magnet based mount. Suggestions?

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f19/best-interior-during-gm-90s-8343/#post109853

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
Since the wall charger is rated at 2A, I guess we need a car plug and a car charger able to provide 2A. I don't think I have ever seen a car charger that powerful.

There are car charger that is rated at 2A, like NewTrent from Amazon. Just have to find one that works.

What do you guys use? I assume with the car dock, you're using the N7 for music, navigation etc

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
Amazon has 10 watt 5 amp chargers. I'm sure there is something out there for you needs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Do you have this particular model and does it work? Many car charger that claims to output 2A doesn't work. Even my NewTrent 3.1A doesn't work.

Btw, i am using the N7 original USB cable.

HobbesIsReal

Aug 24, 2007
Thank you for sharing your car mount and all the feedback. Finding a good car mount can be a challenge for a heavier and larger item like the Nexus 7.

AZImmortal

Dec 22, 2010
I've never owned one of these types of car mounts before, so I was wondering exactly how the mount is mounted onto the dashboard. Is it simply a suction cup? Or is there also some type of adhesive?

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
Basically just a suction cup but the material is designed to be able to grip the rough surface of a typical dashboard vs a more traditional suction cup needing a smooth surface.

AZImmortal

Dec 22, 2010
I see, so it's completely reusable in any vehicle as long as I have a smooth and flat enough surface, right?

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
The instructions say it's reusable. I have no personal experience to offer.

grandluck

Dec 4, 2012
italy
Great find.
One question is there a known working car charger for our n7?

Sent from Nexus7 Cynogen Mod 10.1 < Motley Kernel> using XDA App

jaxboater

Dec 15, 2007
Fl.
Best Vent mount I've found!! (and only $20)

Seems like a good mount but won't work in my car. As you can see from the image in the link below the line of the 3 vents in the center of the console is continued onto the top of the dashboard making 3 humps in an otherwise flat surface. I've replaced the factory steroid so a CD mount won't work. And to top it all off there isn't even close to a tablet sized flat area for a magnet based mount. Suggestions?]

I'm using the Bracketron Universal PHV-202-BL GPS Grip-iT Rotating Vent Mount - Black.

The Nexus 7 will not fit in landscape, only portrait (barely with the foam padding)

What's great about this bracket is that it can be used for other devices and is the first vent mount that I've been able to clipped onto and off the vents easily.

The side and bottom arms are adjustable also.

The picture on the left is from the web & the one on the right is my unit.
(I don't use the square base in web pic)
I think I got this at Radio Shack but a web search should find other online & brick and mortar locations.

Attachments

• bracket.PNG
    bracket.PNG
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,628
  • IMAG0316.jpg
    IMAG0316.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 1,714
Reactions: bsoplinger

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion. But the name is a little misleading. The mount itself rotates but it's not for rotating vents. All vent mounts I've tried or even looked at have the same limitation. They are meant to be used on the semi fixed vents most cars have with horizontal slats that tilt up and down and not for the rotating style like my car has. But it still might be a good solution for other people.

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
I have the Xenomix one (as posted by OP), used it only for a week.

I no longer need it if someone wants it, I'll sell it for $30 + shipping. Cheaper than the eBay seller and you don't have to wait weeks for it to arrive from Korea. :D

spongers

Dec 6, 2006
I have the Xenomix one (as posted by OP), used it only for a week.

I no longer need it if someone wants it, I'll sell it for $30 + shipping. Cheaper than the eBay seller and you don't have to wait weeks for it to arrive from Korea. :D

I'll take it! Can you PM me pics and info?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

DroidRunner

Sep 29, 2010
Mine I did today. The radio display is behind it. Don't really need to see it once the tablet is playing music. Just needed the aux/Bluetooth/iPod buttons and volume button showing on the left

2012 Impreza

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361753906271.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361753906271.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3,163

arcades

Nov 20, 2009
Saw a few N7 car install integration but my version is to keep the car stock and just add a mount for the N7 so I can always take it out easily.

Here is a picture to keep you subscribed to this thread, I need more time to write the review. :eek:

N7CarMount.jpg

Hey, couldn't you just please say model name of this car mount ?? Why just posting a picture, there's no useful information without car mount model name.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Saw a few N7 car install integration but my version is to keep the car stock and just add a mount for the N7 so I can always take it out easily.

Here is a picture to keep you subscribed to this thread, I need more time to write the review. :eek:

N7CarMount.jpg
    JUST got mine in from Korea. Took a while to get here.Ordered it 12/3 and received today on 12/17 about 10 business days not counting weekends.

The packaging is really nice, thin but nice. Inside you find the mount ready to go except for maybe the inserts or tabs to insert in the mount depending on your dash to adjust/correct the height.

The suction cup is comprised of the sticky pad stuff that you see on the Xenogear mounts where you can use a wet towel to re-institute the sticky suction cup if it gotten too dirty.

The GREAT thing is that this mount is way smaller than any of the other "off dash" mounts that I have seen. I prefer this because if you use the mount with a N7, then your vision is not impaired because the tablet it not on the said dash, rather off the dash, maybe hanging is a better term to use lol.

Another awesome aspect of this mount. It can be used with both my Nexus 4 phone with or without a tpu case on. However, you have to place the phone in vertically. Which isn't horrible, I am use to mounts with side clamps of some sort. Just something to get used to.

Anywhoo...here's some pics with both the N7 and N4. I recommend this if you are looking for a smaller footprint of a mount! I'll report back on usage in a couple of days.

DSC02362.JPG
    DSC02361.JPG
    DSC02363.JPG
    DSC02364.JPG
    DSC02365.JPG
    DSC02366.JPG
    Does this mount come with an extension to sit further out from the dash if needed?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It does a bit. The mount, when unswitched can telescope out a bit. I attached a quick pic telescoped and not. Looks like it comes out like 2 inches. Which is pretty cool.
    Here's one I just made. Less than $3 from Home Depot odds and ends. Slides into gaps at just the right places. Doesn't budge while driving or being poked at. A little double sticky tape holds pieces in place. Works great in my 2005 Baja. No fit guarantees for other vehicles. JVC has a remote so I don't need to access controls.

N7%20Mount2.jpg
    Look forward to your review.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=69143
    An alternative with a magnet and a nodded case.
    Using this several weeks for GPS navigation.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=38969143