PSA: S Voice stops working in VoLTE markets using the "phone" APN

Search This thread

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I found out I was in a VoLTE market a couple of months ago when I was using the MLG 4.4 link and AT&T's "nxtgenphone" APN worked. Official 4.4 used the phone APN and I left it alone. About a week ago S Voice stopped working when I was using AT&T data but continued working fine over Wi-Fi. I pulled my hair out resetting S Voice and trying different versions; even the one from the SGS5. It still wouldn't work. I manually input the nxtgenphone APN and it started working again. So if you're having trouble with S Voice and are in a VoLTE market you might want to change/update your APN.

raiu

Oct 10, 2008
I found out I was in a VoLTE market a couple of months ago when I was using the MLG 4.4 link and AT&T's "nxtgenphone" APN worked. Official 4.4 used the phone APN and I left it alone. About a week ago S Voice stopped working when I was using AT&T data but continued working fine over Wi-Fi. I pulled my hair out resetting S Voice and trying different versions; even the one from the SGS5. It still wouldn't work. I manually input the nxtgenphone APN and it started working again. So if you're having trouble with S Voice and are in a VoLTE market you might want to change/update your APN.

im betting that is what my issue is, can you give me the settings so I can make this apn?

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I found out I was in a VoLTE market a couple of months ago when I was using the MLG 4.4 leak and AT&T's "nxtgenphone" APN worked. Official 4.4 used the phone APN and I left it alone. About a week ago S Voice stopped working when I was using AT&T data but continued working fine over Wi-Fi. I pulled my hair out resetting S Voice and trying different versions; even the one from the SGS5. It still wouldn't work. I manually input the nxtgenphone APN and it started working again. So if you're having trouble with S Voice and are in a VoLTE market you might want to change/update your APN.

EDIT

Here's the Nxtgenphone APN...

I was just out of town in a non-VoLTE market and had to go back to the phone APN. When I got home, I changed to the nextgenphone APN but S Voice wouldn't work again. I have a Gear and I had to completely reset it along with removing Gear Manager in order to get S Voice working again. So whatever's trashing S Voice may have something to do with the Gear, VoLTE, or both. Not having S Voice on your phone over AT&T's data lines (vs. WiFi) pretty much renders the Gear useless. Do any of you having issues also have a Gear running off your phone?

raiu

Oct 10, 2008
EDIT

Here's the Nxtgenphone APN...

I was just out of town in a non-VoLTE market and had to go back to the phone APN. When I got home, I changed to the nextgenphone APN but S Voice wouldn't work again. I have a Gear and I had to completely reset it along with removing Gear Manager in order to get S Voice working again. So whatever's trashing S Voice may have something to do with the Gear, VoLTE, or both. Not having S Voice on your phone over AT&T's data lines (vs. WiFi) pretty much renders the Gear useless. Do any of you having issues also have a Gear running off your phone?

Yes. This is what started me on his quest lol. My s voice has been working and then quit which rendered the watch pointless. So I have been trying to fix it for a few days now

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I did download the update from here for Svoice,

http://www.sammobile.com/2014/03/24/download-samsungs-s-voice-app-from-the-galaxy-s5/

That seemed to help a bunch with the Svoice issues. But my phone still gets kicked off LTE and stuck at 4g where others that use ATT still show LTE. I can restart my phone and I will then have LTE service.

It's an odd problem and not easy to isolate. When S Voice first died I thought it was related to the S Voice app itself. I tried the SGS5 update in your link right before the problem started and thought that was it. So I cleared data in the app via Settings and went back to the factory version and the N3-specific S Voice update that came out a few months ago. Didn't solve the problem - S Voice was fine over Wi-Fi but borked on AT&T data.

I remembered I was in a VoLTE market and tried the nxtgenphone APN and that solved the problem. All three versions of S Voice worked; original, N3 update, and SGS5 update. Everything was fine until I had to use the "phone" APN in a non-VoLTE market. S Voice worked fine until I got home to my VoLTE market and it stopped working again. This time, the nxtgenphone APN didn't help. I cleared data on S Voice again and tried all three versions and S Voice still wouldn't work.

Thinking it might be Gear related I deleted the Gear from BT settings, uninstalled Gear Manager from my phone, hard reset my Gear by long pressing the power button and using recovery, and rebuilding it via reset rather than using "restore" to reinstall my previous apps/settings. For some reason, the original and N3 update of S Voice wouldn't work. The SGS5 version did. At some point in the second "S Voice is broken" repair S Voice started to work on my phone but not the Gear.

So some combination of playing with the APN's, installing different versions of S Voice, and resetting the Gear, S Voice is working reliably again. What a pain in the ass. I'm guessing it's AT&T network related because its the only common denominator in both times S Voice started to fail and using the nxtgenphone APN fixed it the first time.

Avi-J

Aug 25, 2014
Same issue here (Samsung Note 3), ATT & Samsung are clueless

There is a significant amount of discussion of this issue in the att forums (I can't post links, but it's at https : // forums.att.com/t5/Android/S-Voice-now-Voice-talk-and-non-Wi-Fi-connection/m-p/4053580#M53935). I've been experiencing this for about four days now. S-Voice suddenly stopped working and returned "I can't find a network connection. Please connect to network and try again." This only happens on the AT&T data network; wi-fi works fine. When I called AT&T tech support last night, they actually knew about this issue but had nothing to offer me beyond the fact that it was a "known issue" and that "Samsung is working on a solution." They gave me the number for Samsung tech support, but those folks were less than helpful. At first, they pretended it was an issue with my phone and said I should send it in for repair. He said that there were no other reports of this issue from other users.

Then, when I mentioned that this issue is all over the Internet, the guy said "Well, we have had a 'significant' number of complaints about this, but not a high number." Every time I asked a question ("Do you have an SLA for a resolution?"), he put me on hold for five minutes and came back and asked irrelevant questions. ("So, you say this happened because of a software update?" "No, YOU said that.")

Finally, he said it was an Android issue and that Google is working on a fix.

I have downloaded the S5 version of S-Voice: apart from the ugly colors, it behaves exactly the same as the Note 3 version (i.e, works on wifi and does not work on the mobile network). I also tried changing the APN per the screenshot in this thread, but that did not change the situation.

As a workaround, I'm currently using "S for Switch Voice" (a buggy little app that switches to Google Search every time S-Voice is opened), but I'm really hoping this is fixed soon. Right now, all I'm seeing is finger pointing.

raiu

Oct 10, 2008
There is a significant amount of discussion of this issue in the att forums (I can't post links, but it's at https : // forums.att.com/t5/Android/S-Voice-now-Voice-talk-and-non-Wi-Fi-connection/m-p/4053580#M53935). I've been experiencing this for about four days now. S-Voice suddenly stopped working and returned "I can't find a network connection. Please connect to network and try again." This only happens on the AT&T data network; wi-fi works fine. When I called AT&T tech support last night, they actually knew about this issue but had nothing to offer me beyond the fact that it was a "known issue" and that "Samsung is working on a solution." They gave me the number for Samsung tech support, but those folks were less than helpful. At first, they pretended it was an issue with my phone and said I should send it in for repair. He said that there were no other reports of this issue from other users.

Then, when I mentioned that this issue is all over the Internet, the guy said "Well, we have had a 'significant' number of complaints about this, but not a high number." Every time I asked a question ("Do you have an SLA for a resolution?"), he put me on hold for five minutes and came back and asked irrelevant questions. ("So, you say this happened because of a software update?" "No, YOU said that.")

Finally, he said it was an Android issue and that Google is working on a fix.

I have downloaded the S5 version of S-Voice: apart from the ugly colors, it behaves exactly the same as the Note 3 version (i.e, works on wifi and does not work on the mobile network). I also tried changing the APN per the screenshot in this thread, but that did not change the situation.

As a workaround, I'm currently using "S for Switch Voice" (a buggy little app that switches to Google Search every time S-Voice is opened), but I'm really hoping this is fixed soon. Right now, all I'm seeing is finger pointing.

Unfortunately that doesn't work for us with the galaxy gear or gear 2. What ever happened has disabled the ability to use s voice on the gear and the ability to start calls using your voice.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Unfortunately that doesn't work for us with the galaxy gear or gear 2. What ever happened has disabled the ability to use s voice on the gear and the ability to start calls using your voice.

Have you completely removed the Gear from your phone and reset it using recovery? That's what fixed it for me the second time I had the issue. It only works with the SGS5 version of S Voice though.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
mine works with the s5 svoice app update

I hate the SGS5 version of S Voice; especially in driving mode which I use a lot. It disables saying "Hi Galaxy" when the device is off which I also used heavily. I tried to downgrade again but you're right, the SGS5 version of S Voice is the only one that works. Hopefully a bunch of AT&T employees with N3's complain internally and AT&T's dev group gets off their asses and works with Samsung's dev group on a real solution.

raiu

Oct 10, 2008
I hate the SGS5 version of S Voice; especially in driving mode which I use a lot. It disables saying "Hi Galaxy" when the device is off which I also used heavily. I tried to downgrade again but you're right, the SGS5 version of S Voice is the only one that works. Hopefully a bunch of AT&T employees with N3's complain internally and AT&T's dev group gets off their asses and works with Samsung's dev group on a real solution.

check the galaxy app store there a SE update and an Svoice update and it now works on ATT data

Reactions: BarryH_GEG

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
check the galaxy app store there a SE update and an Svoice update and it now works on ATT data

Thanks for that. I saw the security update yesterday but didn't think it would solve the problem so didn't play with S Voice after I installed it. AT&T must have done something security permissions wise on their network otherwise all carriers would have had S Voice issues which we know isn't the case. The S Voice app in Galaxy Apps is the one and only update the N3 received in January so that's not what fixed the problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.