[HOWTO] DOWNGRADE to 1.31 which you can then root for Legend 2.1

Search This thread

Kimmoth

Apr 18, 2012
Melbourne
PITA every step of the way : (

I've modded a few phones before, but this one's making me feel like it's too hard. Yet I kind of need to get it done in order for the damn thing to accept my SIM and actually make calls...

Following this guide because my bootloader is 1.02.

Stuck at the point where I needed a goldcard, the Revskills page was returning errors, but after a couple of days it's come good, but of course I'm stuck on the very next step, dammit :eek:

When I'm in the terminal (does it need to be as admin?) and I run crackin.bat from the Android\android-sdk\tools directory with the hack4legend files in it, it returns "Copying tools", then 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. a bunch of times, but still runs through steps "Freeing primary PERM linker", "Freeing secondary PERM linker", "Rebooting to normal mode to unlock CHMOD links", "Rebooting to normal mode to downgrade ROM", and "Freeing links", all the while spitting out the error, although I didn't notice the phone rebooting.

Now, I was pretty sure I have a working ADB, cause that was one of the hassles I've struggled with; there was a flag in my Device Manager about it until I sorted it, and now HTC Sync appears to work and so on. But anyway, whatever, I install the Android SDK to get around it, but no dice, same error. So I figure I should just add ADB to the path, right? So I add C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools\adb.exe to my path, and I'm still getting the same error.

It's driving me nuts this time around, every little step is broken down into several painful hassles. Just for example, my login timed out before I tried to post this... this forum's missing a head/wall smiley.

Last edited:

smithchipz

Apr 5, 2012
Melbourne
I've modded a few phones before, but this one's making me feel like it's too hard. Yet I kind of need to get it done in order for the damn thing to accept my SIM and actually make calls...

Following this guide because my bootloader is 1.02.

Stuck at the point where I needed a goldcard, the Revskills page was returning errors, but after a couple of days it's come good, but of course I'm stuck on the very next step, dammit :eek:

When I'm in the terminal (does it need to be as admin?) and I run crackin.bat from the Android\android-sdk\tools directory with the hack4legend files in it, it returns "Copying tools", then 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. a bunch of times, but still runs through steps "Freeing primary PERM linker", "Freeing secondary PERM linker", "Rebooting to normal mode to unlock CHMOD links", "Rebooting to normal mode to downgrade ROM", and "Freeing links", all the while spitting out the error, although I didn't notice the phone rebooting.

Now, I was pretty sure I have a working ADB, cause that was one of the hassles I've struggled with; there was a flag in my Device Manager about it until I sorted it, and now HTC Sync appears to work and so on. But anyway, whatever, I install the Android SDK to get around it, but no dice, same error. So I figure I should just add ADB to the path, right? So I add C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools\adb.exe to my path, and I'm still getting the same error.

It's driving me nuts this time around, every little step is broken down into several painful hassles. Just for example, my login timed out before I tried to post this... this forum's missing a head/wall smiley.

Hey mate you don't need to do the gold card method anymore. You can unlock your bootloader via HTCdev, root with HTCSuperTools v3 and then apply CWM via the S-OFF method.

Sent from my Legend using xda app-developers app

Reactions: ranger4740

ranger4740

Jan 17, 2011
Melbourne
Hey mate you don't need to do the gold card method anymore. You can unlock your bootloader via HTCdev, root with HTCSuperTools v3 and then apply CWM via the S-OFF method.

Yes smithchipz is right you've already got hboot 1.02 so all you have to do is unlock the bootloader and flash the recovery Img, you don't even need HTC super root tools if your never going to use stock rom again just follow the normal rom flashing procedure.

Reactions: smithchipz

Kimmoth

Apr 18, 2012
Melbourne
I managed to get the bootloader unlocked after another try at HTCDev; for some reason I couldn't get the code the first time.

Is there a guide to HTCSuperTools for the Legend? I tried option 4, 'Attempt S-OFF, SIM unlock, and everything else (using gfree)', and it referred me to HTCDev, saying I needed to unlock the bootloader : /

Then I tried flashing the recovery image, but got this error:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

ranger4740

Jan 17, 2011
Melbourne
I managed to get the bootloader unlocked after another try at HTCDev; for some reason I couldn't get the code the first time.

Is there a guide to HTCSuperTools for the Legend? I tried option 4, 'Attempt S-OFF, SIM unlock, and everything else (using gfree)', and it referred me to HTCDev, saying I needed to unlock the bootloader : /

Then I tried flashing the recovery image, but got this error:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

For recovery use s-off method.

Kimmoth

Apr 18, 2012
Melbourne
Even though my phone is S-ON?

I gave it a shot with the phone in fastboot mode (it says FASTBOOT USB when I plug in the cable), but when I typed adb reboot bootloader, it returned:
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found

And then when I tried again, it just said, error: device not found :(

ranger4740

Jan 17, 2011
Melbourne
I don't believe you need to do the reboot bootloader as your already in fastboot just do the fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Kimmoth

Apr 18, 2012
Melbourne
The error I got was from doing exactly what you said, ie attempting to fastboot flash the S-ON recovery image.

Is there a guide anyone can point me to? I've got google fatigue bad.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Downgrade Success!
    We have a good procedure to allow a downgrade via RUU, which then allows you to use the other root methods again.

Big thanks to Joeball88 for putting in the testing time with me to get the bumps all smoothed out, and for caska who had the epiphany that we should goldcard it before RUUing.

THE SCRIPTS HAVE BEEN UPDATED MANY TIMES! Please be sure to re-download the new hack4legend-v5.zip before you start if you a returning root seeker.

You will need adb access. Install the android sdk for your platform (macos, windows, linux) get it for your OS here.

If you don't know how to install the sdk, search xda, there are a ton of howtos for that.

*updated files to hack4legend-v5.zip @ 7-19-2010 11:35AM Central*

Preliminary things to do.
    Download -
    hack4legend-v5.zip
    RUU 1.31 for Legend

Make a goldcard, these instructions work, but you have to change mmc1 to mmc0
    Another goldcard method if the first doesn't work for some reason.
    Get the Android SDK (skip if you have a working adb)

Have adb in your path, or move the files contained in hack4legend-v5.zip into your sdk/tools directory so your pushes will work properly.

FOR ALL OS's Make sure your phone has Applications->Development->USB Debugging turned on.
    Do NOT have your phone in Disk Drive Mode, have it in Charge Only.

Open a terminal window in your /tools/ directory. Type this at the prompt.

Code:
    crackin.sh
    or in Windows
    Code:
    crackin.bat

Your phone will reboot 5 times.

You WILL see several error messages.

Look for this line, if the crwxrwxrwx matches you are ready to downgrade

Code:
    crwxrwxrwx    1 1001     2002      90,   0 Jul 19 16:19 /dev/mtd/mtd0

if it looks like this c---rw----

Code:
     c---rw----    1 1001     2002      90,   0 Jul 19 16:19 /dev/mtd/mtd0

You're not.

Power cycle your phone.

If you have trouble, clearing your phone to factory defaults may help.

Put your goldcard in.

You can now downgrade to RUU 1.31, run the RUU_Legend_HTC_WWE_1.31.405.5_R_Radio_47.26.35.04_7.05.35.26L_release_126592_signed.exe that you downloaded earlier.

After that you can follow the other root howto's for the Legend!
    caska says this link is faster for the Legend root download.

If for any reason you want to put your old ROM id back in after you've ran crackin, but before you run RUU run uncrackin and it will reinstall your old ROM version number.

If you really love me and want to say thanks, donate some beer money.

Think the hack needs updating as the Froyo update will be slightly different to previous builds.

Guess I'm right :) - Find guide at modaco for this - thanks paul (and the dude who pm'd me this link!)

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-legend-legend-modaco-com/323201/downgrading-from-froyo-ota/

thanks a lot - that saved my day, and absolutly works! i had latest ota update (german/euro 3.14) and crackin.bat produced the error at then end!

btw: hacking a legend for a friend is so much more screwed up then my simple desire hacking :)
    Look for the "how to root hboot 1.01" thread...
    1. Connect the phone in charge only mode.

2. run crackin.bat

3. even if you end up with the cr--rw---- download and install modaco visionairy apk

4. temproot phone.

5. in cmd, type adb shell, then ''su'' and accept super user permissions on phone
    You should see a # <this means you have the permissions.

6. in cmd, type: /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/misc1-2.img

7. run the RUU again. it should work now.

Thanks to: http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-legend-legend-modaco-com/323201/downgrading-from-froyo-ota/ (the apk can be found here)

good luck :)
    Make sure you are using a regular SD card (2GB) and not SDHC. This will give you a better chance of having a goldcard that works.