[Ubuntu Touch] Porting the Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview to GT-N7000

Search This thread

dibo1979

Jul 11, 2012
Kutno
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Odp: [Ubuntu Touch] Porting the Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview to GT-N7000

I have thesame issue. No wifi and system is not functionality at all i cant do nothing.

Wysyłane z mojego GT-N7000 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

lithium_z

Mar 5, 2013
That's normal that nothing is functional yet. But the wifi and camera should work. (camera works for me, I can take pictures)

bbfox59

Feb 22, 2011
Check if the userinit.sh is in the /data/local directory, I had this wifi problem previously and I had to push it via adb

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: lithium_z

dibo1979

Jul 11, 2012
Kutno
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Odp: [Ubuntu Touch] Porting the Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview to GT-N7000

Camera working. I will wait for more functional system.

Wysyłane z mojego GT-N7000 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
This is what I did to fix the font issue (ie. revert to the old mali driver):

$ croot
$ cd kernel/samsung/smdk4210/drivers/media/video
$ git checkout 17c7b6e39ed37cb9fed9bb0b66c152ea4be299c4 samsung

Copied the old proprietary mali stuff to vendor/samsung/gs2/...

As an extra I added some more libs from a 03-04 cm daily so that now there's no need to install cm first (therefore lots of stuff not needed for ubuntu touch):

$ ls vendor/samsung/n7000/proprietary/system/lib/
hw libdvm.so libnativehelper.so libsec-ril.so
libakm.so libharfbuzz.so libril.so
libandroid_runtime.so libhwui.so libsecril-client.so

Added the new ones to the n7000-vendor-blobs.mk:

PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += \
vendor/samsung/n7000/proprietary/system/lib/libandroid_runtime.so:/system/lib/libandroid_runtime.so \
vendor/samsung/n7000/proprietary/system/lib/libnativehelper.so:/system/lib/libnativehelper.so \
vendor/samsung/n7000/proprietary/system/lib/libdvm.so:/system/lib/libdvm.so \
vendor/samsung/n7000/proprietary/system/lib/libharfbuzz.so:/system/lib/libharfbuzz.so \
vendor/samsung/n7000/proprietary/system/lib/libhwui.so:/system/lib/libhwui.so

I am working with the T-Mobile Galaxy Note II it uses the t0lte device folder so theoretically if I get it booting you can use it on three devicesGT-N7105, SGH-I317, SGH-T889. I got it building but I have yet to get it to boot with graphics. From my logcats it appears to be booting just no graphics yet because surfaceflinger can not start because of no fb. I am currently doing a fresh sink and then will start from scratch using some tips from here about the local_manifest.xml and adding the lines to the t0lte-vendor-blobs.mk file aswell as adding the needed lib files to vendor/samsung/n7000/proprietary/system/lib.

From my logcats I know I need libandroid_runtime.so, libnativehelper.so, libdvm.so, and libharfbuzz.so. but after having to add lib and then zip the files and flash it four times I opened the lib folder of my build and the CM nightly I am working with in Beyond Compare and moved all the missing lib files over to my build. It was 96 files in all counting the few that are missing in the folders inside the lib folder. I know a couple of them do not need to be brought over but I did all of them as my objective is to get it to boot now.So are the libs in the above qouted post all the libs you guys are adding to your build? Any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Escaperoute

Aug 31, 2010
Can somebody post a latest fix version in a short way so noob like me can flash it. In the videp there is a 3g network working. So despite very early beta I can use it like a normal phone? Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Gerrett

Mar 11, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi Note
Xiaomi Mi Note 2
If you add this to your local manifest, you should build a working ubuntu build with fixed font (old mali driver) and wifi fix (no need for afterflash.zip)
Also added a comment to kernel from mailing list.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
  <project name="Gerrett84/ubuntu_device_samsung_n7000" path="device/samsung/n7000" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />
  <project name="Gerrett84/ubuntu_device_samsung_galaxys2-common" path="device/samsung/galaxys2-common" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />
  <project name="Gerrett84/ubuntu_kernel_samsung_smdk4210" path="kernel/samsung/smdk4210" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />
  <project name="Gerrett84/ubuntu_hardware_samsung" path="hardware/samsung" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />
  <project name="Gerrett84/ubuntu_vendor_n7000_oldmali" path="vendor/samsung" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />
  <project name="CyanogenMod/android_packages_apps_SamsungServiceMode" path="packages/apps/SamsungServiceMode" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />
</manifest>

Here you find my latest build :
http://roms.gerrett84.de/ubuntutouch/dev/ubuntu_n7000_03-05b.zip

no need for afterflash.zip
My Sources : https://github.com/Gerrett84?tab=repositories

What did i do? revert mali comment from kernel, and added prop files from nighlty 02.19 . build it and checked adb and missing libs (same as vbocs said)
Didnt know why, but with old mali driver are these libs needed (no need with new mali)

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
If you add this to your local manifest, you should build a working ubuntu build with fixed font (old mali driver) and wifi fix (no need for afterflash.zip)

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
  <project name="Gerrett84/ubuntu_device_samsung_n7000" path="device/samsung/n7000" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />
  <project name="Gerrett84/ubuntu_device_samsung_galaxys2-common" path="device/samsung/galaxys2-common" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />
  <project name="Gerrett84/ubuntu_kernel_samsung_smdk4210" path="kernel/samsung/smdk4210" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />
  <project name="Gerrett84/ubuntu_hardware_samsung" path="hardware/samsung" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />
  <project name="Gerrett84/ubuntu_vendor_n7000_oldmali" path="vendor/samsung" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />
  <project name="CyanogenMod/android_packages_apps_SamsungServiceMode" path="packages/apps/SamsungServiceMode" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />
</manifest>

Here you find my latest build :
http://roms.gerrett84.de/ubuntutouch/dev/ubuntu_n7000_03-05b.zip

no need for afterflash.zip
My Sources : https://github.com/Gerrett84?tab=repositories

What did i do? revert mali comment from kernel, and added prop files from nighlty 02.19 . build it and checked adb and missing libs (same as vbocs said)
Didnt know why, but with old mali driver are these libs needed (no need with new mali)

You guys are using device_samsung_galaxys2-common and have the kernel_samsung_smdk4210. I have the device_samsung_smdk4412-common and I use the kernel_samsung_smdk4412. I am using the correct common folder for my device am I not? Remember I am on the T-Mobile Galaxy Note II.

chasmodo

Dec 28, 2011
Novi Sad

Well done, Gerrett, you've cracked it.:)

I applied your local manifest and the build compiled without a hitch. Font problem is indeed solved, as can be seen here:

img20130305230701.jpg

However, I feel that resolution is not quite right yet; somehow everything seems 15-20% bigger than it should be.

Take a look at the calculator - it's bottom cannot fit the screen and is cut off:

img20130305230320.jpg

Oh, almost forgot to ask: what kernel comment would that be?

---------- Post added 6th March 2013 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 5th March 2013 at 11:21 PM ----------

You guys are using device_samsung_galaxys2-common and have the kernel_samsung_smdk4210. I have the device_samsung_smdk4412-common and I use the kernel_samsung_smdk4412. I am using the correct common folder for my device am I not? Remember I am on the T-Mobile Galaxy Note II.

Don't know about T-mobile Note II, but I did a couple of blind builds for friends with n7100 and t0lte, and I used this in my roomservice.xml:

Code:
<project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_smdk4412-common" path="device/samsung/smdk4412-common" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4412" path="kernel/samsung/smdk4412" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_n7100" path="device/samsung/n7100" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_t0lte" path="device/samsung/t0lte" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />

The builds worked, so I feel you're right in your assumption.

Last edited:

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.

I applied your local manifest and the build compiled without a hitch. Font problem is indeed solved, as can be seen here:

However, I feel that resolution is not quite right yet; somehow everything seems 15-20% bigger than it should be.

Take a look at the calculator - it's bottom cannot fit the screen and is cut off:

---------- Post added 6th March 2013 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 5th March 2013 at 11:21 PM ----------

Don't know about T-mobile Note II, but I did a couple of blind builds for friends with n7100 and t0lte, and I used this in my roomservice.xml:

Code:
<project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_smdk4412-common" path="device/samsung/smdk4412-common" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4412" path="kernel/samsung/smdk4412" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_n7100" path="device/samsung/n7100" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_t0lte" path="device/samsung/t0lte" remote="github" revision="cm-10.1" />

The builds worked, so I feel you're right in your assumption.

Thanks man I have all of those except the device_samsung_n7100 I don't think it would be wize to use two device folders lol

I am actually in the procerss of setting up for a build with a brand new ripo that I finished this morning. Thanks to Gerrett's post on the last page. I am comparing his git files to my files and making the needed adjustments to my vendor/samsung/t0lte folder in my work tree as well as my t0lte-vendor-blobs.mk file. I have a different device so I have to do everything by hand as I can not just clone his folder.

I want to take a second to thank every person that has been involved with this thread cause it has helped me to out tremendously. I managed to get it built on my own but now I think I will be able to make a working build.

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
Here is the error I get now and I do not understand why I do not have prebuilt/gcc in either of my working folders and my other working folder will compile but it needs a lot of hand moding to even try to boot. Here is my error in terminal, it compiled vfor a long time before I got this so i am not far. Just on't know why I got this. I am goingto bed for the night.

Code:
target thumb C: libwebp-decode <= external/webp/src/dec/../utils/huffman.c
target StaticLib: libwebp-encode (/home/tmacgnolia/UPP2/out/target/product/t0lte/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libwebp-encode_intermediates/libwebp-encode.a)
prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/linaro-4.7.2/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-ar: /home/tmacgnolia/UPP2/out/target/product/t0lte/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libwebp-encode_intermediates/libwebp-encode.a: Error reading /home/tmacgnolia/UPP2/out/target/product/t0lte/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libwebp-encode_intermediates/../utils/quant_levels.o: File truncated
make: *** [/home/tmacgnolia/UPP2/out/target/product/t0lte/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libwebp-encode_intermediates/libwebp-encode.a] Error 1
make: *** Deleting file `/home/tmacgnolia/UPP2/out/target/product/t0lte/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libwebp-encode_intermediates/libwebp-encode.a'
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

This is a list of changes I made.

Code:
In device/samsung/t0lte/t0lte.mk comminted line 50 to remove GalaxyNote2Settings. Also removed the below line.

packages/apps/Nfc/migrate_nfc.txt:system/etc/updatecmds/migrate_nfc.txt \

After pulling proprietary files from my device I went to system/lib of the CM ROM and copied and pasted the following lib files to vendor/samsung/t0lte/proprietary/system/lib of my work tree.

libandroid_runtime.so
libdvm.so
libharfbuzz.so
libhwui.so
libnativehelper.so
libmali.so
libUMP.so
libfimc.so

In system/lib/hw in the CM ROM copied and pasted the following lib files to vendor/samsung/t0lte/proprietary/system/lib/hw of my work tree.

camera.exynos4.so
gps.goldfish.so

In /system/lib/ of a stock ROM copied and pasted the following lib file to vendor/samsung/t0lte/proprietary/system/lib of my work tree.

libfactoryutil.so

In systemlib/egl of the CM ROM copied of and pasted the following lib files to vendor/samsung/t0lte/proprietary/system/lib/egl of my work tree.

libEGL_mali.so
libGLESv1_CM_mali.so
libGLESv2_mali.so

In system/vendor/lib of the CM ROM copied and pasted the following lib files to vendor/samsung/t0lte/proprietary/system/vendor/lib of my work tree.

libpn544_fw.so
mfc_fw.bin

In system/cameradata of the CM ROM copied and pasted the following files to vendor/samsung/t0lte/proprietary/system/cameradata of my work tree.

datapattern_420sp.yuv
datapattern_front_420sp.yuv

In system/bin of the CM ROM copied and pasted the following files to vendor/samsung/t0lte/proprietary/system/bin of myr work tree.

bcm4334.hcd
bcm4334_murata.hcd
bcm4334_semcosh.hcd

Added the below lines to t0lte-vendor-blobs.mk

PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/lib/libandroid_runtime.so:system/lib/libandroid_runtime.so \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/lib/libdvm.so:system/lib/libdvm.so \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/lib/libharfbuzz.so:system/lib/libharfbuzz.so \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/lib/libhwui.so:system/lib/libhwui.so \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/lib/libnativehelper.so:system/lib/libnativehelper.so \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/lib/libMali.so:system/lib/libMali.so \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/lib/libUMP.so:system/lib/libUMP.so \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/lib/lib/libfimc.so:system/lib/libfimc.so \

PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/lib/hw/camera.exynos4.so:system/lib/hw/camera.exynos4.so \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/lib/hw/gps.goldfish.so:system/lib/hw/gps.goldfish.so \

PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/lib/egl/libEGL_mali.so:system/lib/egl/libEGL_mali.so \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/lib/egl/libGLESv1_CM_mali.so:system/lib/egl/libGLESv1_CM_mali.so \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/lib/egl/libGLESv2_mali.so:system/lib/egl/libGLESv_mali.so \

PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/vendor/firmware/libpn544_fw.so:system/vendor/firmware/libpn544_fw.so \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/vendor/firmware/mfc_fw.bin:system/vendor/firmware/mfc_fw.bin \

PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/cameradata/datapattern_420sp.yuv:system/cameradata/datapattern_420sp.yuv \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/cameradata/datapattern_front_420sp.yuv:system/cameradata/datapattern_front_420sp.yuv \

PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/bin/bcm4334.hcd:system/bin/bcm4334.hcd \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/bin/bcm4334_murata.hcd:system/bin/bcm4334_murata.hcd \
    $(LOCAL_PATH)/proprietary/system/bin/bcm4334_semcosh.hcd:system/bin/bcm4334_semcosh.hcd

Gerrett

Mar 11, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi Note
Xiaomi Mi Note 2
AW: [Ubuntu Touch] Porting the Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview to GT-N7000

img20130305230701.jpg

img20130305230320.jpg

I only forgot to push a change for working wifi, so it won't work on your build without the afterflash right?;) will push it later.

Yeah seems like wie still need the afterflash to change the grid value.will test later with "18" if it looks better.

Look at my kernel repo, the latest commit (procfs kernel patch) is from mailing list (cant post a link atm)

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: chasmodo

Magpir

Jul 4, 2011
so how to flash this on my note?

can be used as a daily driver?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the port of Ubuntu Phone to the Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000

What works:
    • Wifi (fixed on 18-07)
    • GSM (only mobile connection)
    • Webbrowsing
    • Taking photos (fixed)
    If you haveing trouble with GSM give it time to connect. If its still not working check this : https://plus.google.com/100264483712374857174/posts/3o1tjYo9Ghx

CREDITS
    thanks to chasmodo for

• manifest additions
    • camera driver
    • runtime intermediates files
    thanks to Gerrett for

• the hint to remove the GalaxyNoteSettings from build
    • fixing the wifi issue

The short way:
    Download, push to sdcard, reboot to recovery, do a backup, do a full wipe and flash(keep the order of the files)

1. quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip
    2. Ubuntu n7000 nightly build
    The long way:
    Here is the official Canonical's Porting Guide

here we have the cm nightlies from wich we take the binaries for the base system.

Now, I will set up my building system how described in the Guide (Since I've already a working Ubuntu 13.04 x64 PreAlpha installation, I'll use that as base)

Seting up the development environment

What is not in the guide:
    Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:phablet-team/tools
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install phablet-tools
    sudo apt-get install bzr
    sudo apt-get remove openjdk-7-jdk
    sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk
    So, on the console
    (if there are german speaking people following, this is how you can kill the waiting time :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_poaB9jLAc and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMim3OV2cQE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-jbeV_kpaU have fun)
    Code:
    mkdir -p UbuntuTouch/GT-N7000   #at a location with 20 gigs of free space(yes, its a lot :D )
    cd UbuntuTouch/GT-N7000

git config --global user.email "youremailforubuntu@something.com"   #needs this only once for
    git config --global user.name "Your Name"

phablet-dev-bootstrap ./   #this will take a while, it will download all sources except the kernel if I understood right
    Edit .repo/manifest.xml and add following at the same xml level where the other project tags are.
    (First search for, maybe they are already in that file)

Code:
    then again on console:
    Code:
    repo sync
    Code:
    adb devices   #just a short check to see if the connection is working, if it's in the list, go further, if not check whats the problem
    . build/envsetup.sh
    brunch cm_n7000-userdebug   #if everything is ok, this will take a while
    put the zip you get in the output onto your sdcard, download saucy-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip
    reboot your n7000 into recovery mode, backup and flash first the preinstalled and then the build.

Have fun
    Booted. But it's pretty much useless until we get this font thing sorted.

I somehow managed to get to homescreen, but I don't know how.:p

img20130227235235.jpg

img20130227235747.jpg

img20130227235834.jpg
    I have the required changes ready in the files incase someone is interested :)

was waiting for beerbong but he seems busy... times like these u wish u werent building remotely ^^

maybe utacka or chas(with his new pc) can help..
    To make it easier, here are the file links and instructions...

Instructions:

First do full-wipe, then install cm10.1 (or a cm10.1 based rom).Boot it and shut down.

Flash this: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-to...c-demo/quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip

Finally this: http://www.vbocz.com/files/ubuntu-n7000.zip

Reboot.

(Only the camera seems to work. No gsm, no wifi, no adb yet.)

Credit to Viktor Bocz
    Have you documented your process so we can learn from it ?

Didn't do anything new ..

I did a clean resync, add the local manifest for n7000

Code:

did a sync ..
    Edit fstab (remove nosuid from data)
    commit out GalaxyNoteSettings in n7000.mk
    and added/changed Kernel config (see porting guide)
    copy libandroid_runtime_intermediates to /out/xxx folder and camera.exynos4.so to vendor/samsung/n7000/xxx ..
    then i build it ...

Here you can find it :

http://roms.gerrett84.de/ubuntutouch/dev/ubuntutouch-n7000-27_02.zip
    http://roms.gerrett84.de/ubuntutouch/dev/afterflash-n7000.zip
    and don't forgett this : http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-to...c-demo/quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip

How to Flash ?

First Do a Full wipe, then Flash CM10.1 (dont reboot) after that flash ubuntutouch-n7000-27_02.zip, then flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip, and at last flash the afterflash-n7000.zip , now you can reboot :p

Whats working?
    - Its Booting :p
    - adb is working

Whats not working?
    - Font is wired
    - No Wifi
    - No GSM
    - maybe more

With the Afterflash.zip you can change the Screen Pixel Ratio, someone should look into it, and change it (this should fix the font issue)
    Have no time for it today, only tried to set it to 18 px/gu . If no one do it, i will do tomorrow ;)
    Here : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Porting you find how its working.

Now its time to start fixing :p

Edit: Fixed links