General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
I'm looking right now for a medium sized android (4.5 - 4.3 inch) phone to replace my broken GS2 :(

I don't care about OEM skins (Sense etc.) since I will probably be flashing CM10 as soon as I get it.

It must be rootable and have some developer support for it.

I would love a quad core device with a high resolution screen but sadly those kind of specs only come on 4.7 inch+ superphones.

Battery life is not too inportant as long as it lasts a days worth.

I am in the UK so cannot get the MIUI Mi two unfortunately.

So far only the HTC One S has caught my eye

What else is out there? Thank you for reading

Xperia S?

"What really matters in this world, anyway?"

gagdude

Jun 10, 2012
Northbrook
I'm looking right now for a medium sized android (4.5 - 4.3 inch) phone to replace my broken GS2 :(

I don't care about OEM skins (Sense etc.) since I will probably be flashing CM10 as soon as I get it.

It must be rootable and have some developer support for it.

I would love a quad core device with a high resolution screen but sadly those kind of specs only come on 4.7 inch+ superphones.

Battery life is not too inportant as long as it lasts a days worth.

I am in the UK so cannot get the MIUI Mi two unfortunately.

So far only the HTC One S has caught my eye

What else is out there? Thank you for reading

Nexus 4. The on screen buttons reduce the 4.7 inch screen to about 4.5 inches

Sent from my DROID2 using xda premium

kinggame992000

May 16, 2012
galaxy tab 2 7.0 or nexus 7 ?

which should i chose between nexus 7 and galaxy tab 2 7.0
i mean i hard lot of screen defect on nexus 7.. and tab 2 seem more legit even though the spec lower... and black friday is coming.. wat should i get

Reactions: Maxscunion

Maxscunion

Nov 21, 2012
Panama City, FL
Most volume: SG3 or Evo LTE?

I'm definitely getting either the Galaxy III or the Evo LTE. I've narrowed it down that far but I want to get the one that has the loudest speaker.
I'm old. I'm almost deaf but I'm sticking with one of the two above. I currently have an Evo 3G and have heard crappy old style flip phones that have louder volume from the music player angle.
I know the Evo has Dre's Beats thing but I've heard that the speakers aren't as loud as some would like. I'm just trying to find out which one is the loudest. No opportunity to go to a store that has working versions.

Thanks.

djbosanac

I think HTC gets quite a lot from xda, I've a ds and it does ok, and from what I've seen most of the other devices do ok despite the locked bootloader

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. ~Wernher Von Braun

but when you look at the price/specification, is the HTC better of less ?
So i must need someone who willl buy the phone and send it over to the netherlands...

mfsr98

Nov 26, 2011
Porto
which should i chose between nexus 7 and galaxy tab 2 7.0
i mean i hard lot of screen defect on nexus 7.. and tab 2 seem more legit even though the spec lower... and black friday is coming.. wat should i get
OBVIOUSLY the Nexus 7 is better. Way better. With the tab 2 you can do calls and texting with a SIM card, that's basically the only positive from the tab 2.

alyyx

Jan 28, 2011
San Jose, CA
Hey folks,

I'm looking at a used phone in the $300 range. My main concerns are great GPS and good developer support.

I was looking at the Galaxy S II or maybe the Skyrocket (LTE phone). But after looking over the last 15 pages of this thread it doesn't seem anyone mentions either of these phones much. It seems very few people are selling the Xperia models on eBay which makes me worried no one uses them, but they get lots of mentions here. Am I barking up the wrong tree with the S II?

What would you guys recommend for the $300 used price range for T-Mobile. (I've love the Nexus 4, but who knows if it'll ever be available again and its $450 on ebay)

Last edited:

Larry.

Dec 31, 2010
I need help choosing a phone from T-mobile. I've narrowed it down to:

HTC One S
Google Nexus 4
Windows Phone 8X
Lumia 810
Samsung Galaxy S3

I'm planning to use the phone primarily for music, web browsing, messaging, and sometimes games. I don't know how to use ROMs but is willing to learn how if it can help with the battery life/remove the bloatwares and other unnecessary apps.

Thank you in advance.

lolmit

Nov 21, 2012
i got some exertion between Nexus LG 4 V HTC 8x Windows phone 8
what you recomend to me?
the gamd and music very important for me.
the think i can get new system(wp8) exciting me
and in android i got app and game i love.
so what you recomend for me?
and by the way the money is not issue for me....
and please do not recommend for me other smartphones...
please help me!!

Last edited:

silvercats

Sep 1, 2012
Optimus 2x or Xperia sola? why???

there is a big colour difference in Optimus 2X and screen is not clear (LCD)

youtube.com/watch?v=qAFs9OQinNo

youtube.com/watch?v=aIktbler_Mw

SOla doesn't have HDMI or Gyro.

help !!

flyboy21

Aug 16, 2012
galaxy s4 or galaxy note 2

should i buy the galaxy note 2 now or wait for the galaxy s4

what i was planning to do with my phone is gaming and internet browsing,but what i'm concern is that the note 2 is gone lose his horse power against future games and that the s4 will be better for the more graphic intensive games in the future because of his exynos 5 chip,second is that im just a little bit worried about the screen quality of the note 2 and is the s4 rumored 1080p display gonna be alot better than the note 2 display,third is the size im 6 foot 6 and i thinking that the note 2 is not too big for me but generally i think that the note 2 is not to big for no buddy if you're sitting at the couch and comfortably holding the phone with one or two hands but my concern is when your in a hurry and you have your one hand full with bags or somthing and then you need to answer your phone or send a text message could you still use your note 2 with the other hand comfortably or secure enough not to drop it,fourth is that a need a good amount of internal memory for my apps and how it is right now the note 2 comes only with 16gb internal (i now there is a hack how to swap internal whit external memory but i dont now how good that is gone work) and that the s4 maybe come with 64gb right out of the box because samsung is working on a thiner and faster 64gb chip,and finally my last thought is like with every rumor is that they might be truth or not and that is what is eating me up is to wait for it to see are they real or not and why i can't wait no more because a never had a smartphone before (right now own a nokia c6-00) and i dont have alot of money to spend every half year to buy a new smartphone thats why my next phone needs to be good and not that i spend all my money for one phone and a couple of months later there is a better phone for almost the same amount of money,so that's all i have to say sorry for such a long post but i want to be really detailed about it and sorry if my english was bad am not so good ad it used google translate

Last edited:

vj_dustin

Dec 7, 2010
uktopgear.blogspot.com
i got some exertion between Nexus LG 4 V HTC 8x Windows phone 8
what you recomend to me?
the gamd and music very important for me.
the think i can get new system(wp8) exciting me
and in android i got app and game i love.
so what you recomend for me?
and by the way the money is not issue for me....
and please do not recommend for me other smartphones...
please help me!!

IMO Go for the nexus, windows is fresh but hey you can always use launcher 7 on Android to get a similar feel ;)

should i buy the galaxy note 2 now or wait for the galaxy s4

what i was planning to do with my phone is gaming and internet browsing,but what i'm concern is that the note 2 is gone lose his horse power against future games and that the s4 will be better for the more graphic intensive games in the future because of his exynos 5 chip,second is that im just a little bit worried about the screen quality of the note 2 and is the s4 rumored 1080p display gonna be alot better than the note 2 display,third is the size im 6 foot 6 and i thinking that the note 2 is not too big for me but generally i think that the note 2 is not to big for no buddy if you're sitting at the couch and comfortably holding the phone with one or two hands but my concern is when your in a hurry and you have your one hand full with bags or somthing and then you need to answer your phone or send a text message could you still use your note 2 with the other hand comfortably or secure enough not to drop it,fourth is that a need a good amount of internal memory for my apps and how it is right now the note 2 comes only with 16gb internal (i now there is a hack how to swap internal whit external memory but i dont now how good that is gone work) and that the s4 maybe come with 64gb right out of the box because samsung is working on a thiner and faster 64gb chip,and finally my last thought is like with every rumor is that they might be truth or not and that is what is eating me up is to wait for it to see are they real or not and why i can't wait no more because a never had a smartphone before (right now own a nokia c6-00) and i dont have alot of money to spend every half year to buy a new smartphone thats why my next phone needs to be good and not that i spend all my money for one phone and a couple of months later there is a better phone for almost the same amount of money,so that's all i have to say sorry for such a long post but i want to be really detailed about it and sorry if my english was bad am not so good ad it used google translate

You seriously need to summarize that! :|

Sent.... just sent!!

gagdude

Jun 10, 2012
Northbrook
why you reccomend for me the nexus ?
i need some long explain please...

Well you said you thought WP8 is exciting, but with a Nexus you will get Android updates the fastest. Just think, when they release.Android 5.0 the Nexus 4 will be there to receive it. Won't THAT be more exciting than whatever next WP releases?
Also, no WP7 devices were upgraded to WP8. I don't really trust WP and updates because of that.

And WP8 isn't very exciting at all anyway, you will like it for a day than BAM! Instant boredom.

rkoforever90

May 21, 2012
Aberdeen
xperia s future proof ??

friends,ive decided on buying xperia s .so i want to know does it have decent dev support and will it get unofficial updates and custom roms in future.ie; is the device future proof

N.B:galaxy nexus is on my second preference but coz of better camera and better gpu (im a gamer) xperia s is my 1st preference.

ChuckTesta

Jul 27, 2012
I wanted go buy the asus transformer infinity tf700 pad for my birthday but it has no sim card slot. On the one hand i can use my phone as a wifi hotspot but on the other hand i could just buy a tablet with a sim slot.
Should i buy a normal tablet and use wifi hotspots or just buy a tablet with a sim slot? I have unlimited 15 mb internet speed on my cellphone only im afraid it will drain both my phone and the tablets battery.
Help will be much appriciated!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
friends,ive decided on buying xperia s .so i want to know does it have decent dev support and will it get unofficial updates and custom roms in future.ie; is the device future proof

N.B:galaxy nexus is on my second preference but coz of better camera and better gpu (im a gamer) xperia s is my 1st preference.

There is a CyanogenMod team, a AOKP team and a Paranoid team (which is also a Pac team). Is that enough for you?

"What really matters in this world, anyway?"

Reactions: rkoforever90

lolmit

Nov 21, 2012
Well you said you thought WP8 is exciting, but with a Nexus you will get Android updates the fastest. Just think, when they release.Android 5.0 the Nexus 4 will be there to receive it. Won't THAT be more exciting than whatever next WP releases?
Also, no WP7 devices were upgraded to WP8. I don't really trust WP and updates because of that.

And WP8 isn't very exciting at all anyway, you will like it for a day than BAM! Instant boredom.

why boredom?

Top Liked Posts

dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    Pixel 6A, Xiaomi 12X, Asus Zenfone 9 cons disadvantages

Friends,
    have You got any experiences with those phones and ROM like AOSP: LinkageOS, Paranoid etc ?
    Asus can be with stock rom.

I'm searching smartfone with max lenght 155 mm, battery min 4,4 Ah and possibility to install AOSP Android, especially for Xiaomi models.
    Rather without rounded display edge..
    Actually Asus Zenfone 10/11, Xiaomi 13/14 is too expensive and difficult to get from second hand.
    They're all great, but steer clear of the Zenfone if you want custom ROMs (they pulled the unlock tool). I have a 6a and it is fast and smooth but the 12X should be a great phone (SD870 is good and it has more RAM).

I'd say choose a 12X if it's an option...
    I can't believe it's been so long since I joined, and posted an intro. I still have the same phone, and I need to "upgrade" badly. This sounds like the right thread to ask.

First, I'm looking for suggestions to replace a Galaxy S7, SM-G930W8 (Exynos).
    My main uses for a mobile phone are: texting, email, web browsing/streaming (eg: youtube), "tools" apps - eg: unit converters/calculators, and some..specific apps like TrolMaster (indoor gardening, at/for work) and Appliance apps - eg: Danby, etc., video/music listening - eg: VLC, and taking photos. I sometimes like to connect a usb microscope to it via usb OTG
    The camera on my S7 has been broken for years. I'm struggling without it. I have to ask roommate to use phone for their camera.
    I'd like expandable storage, have manufacturers completely removed that option now too?

Forgive my incorrect terminology; I want something "unlocked"(?) or easily unlockable (bootloader, right?), that I can put a custom ROM on (Calyx, or Lineage are two that interest me), good camera (I don't need the latest triple lense, 5-dimensional, 8K camera. But I don't wan't worse than what the S7 has - including video capabilities such as 1080p 60fps if possible). Headphone jack please (though I do finally have BT headphones now). USB-C charging would be nice. I would be ok with the same or larger size/screen as S7.
    And I'm not looking to buy a brand new "flagship" $1800 phone either. I think I bought this S7 used, a few years old/after release for maybe $300-400 cad.
    I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Thank you.

Edit: Where are some online sources to buy quality used phones? Like Pixel phones, for example. If there are any.
    The best place to buy used devices depends on where you live.

Here in the United States Swappa and Back Market are great (BackMarket is also available in a few other countries). Based on your usage of the Canadian dollar I'd assume you live in Canada in which case eBay refurbished is your best option.

Most phones from the past ~3 years don't have expandable storage (Samsung A series does but also has no ROMs) oZr headphone jacks (enfones had them but they pulled their bootloader unlock tool so you can't ROM them anymore).

I'd say get a used Pixel 7 Pro or 7 and flash Lineage on it, it'd serve you well for the next few years (here is a link to a used 7 for about 350 CAD on eBay Canada). (edit: it's already out of stock)

OnePlus 12 vs Xiaomi 13 Ultra vs Xiaomi 14

I can get OnePlus 12 or Xiaomi 13 Ultra or Xiaomi 14 at similar price around 700 dollars in my region. For my important aspects are:
    1. Display: My eyes are a little bit sensitive to PWM, but it's relatively acceptable to me with the "Аnti-flicker" option in Xiaomi OS, but it's not perfectly

2. Root and mod friendly: official/unofficial custom roms and mods by OnePlus/Xiaomi fan groups ( which fan group has more development in this aspect)

3. Camera: I'm interested in who has offer the better hardware and therefore the possibility of improvement by software (GCAM) as well as modifications by fan groups

1.As far as I can find both phones Xiaomi 13 Ultra and Xiaomi 14 run at 1920 Hz under 50% brightness, I'm not shure when Oneplus 12 switch to 2160 Hz PWM and which one is better in this aspect.

2. I am not familiar with the oneplus fangroup and how root/custom roms/mods friendly it is compare to Xiaomi

3. Through the GCAM I manage to get more satisfactory photos and videos to my taste with my custom settings both through GCAM and through Modded MI Cam from my old Xiaomi smartphone, don't know how is with Oneplus

I find all other specs almost similar
    OnePlus is pretty root/rom friendly (more than Xiaomi these days) and GCam ports for the 12 are available (see this XDA post for more info). I'd say it's personal preference but the OP will definitely get more ROMs if that's what you're after.
    Hey all,
    Looking to replace my OnePlus 7 Pro.
    tl;dr Most importantly (if such a thing exists) i need Call Recordings to be possible without Root
    I'm mainly looking for a clear Android experience (Oxygen OS is a good example), a decent phone, no need for any bells/whistles.

My work requires all sorts of apps and the CISO is being a pain about using a rooted phone, I'm willing to forge adblocking, but giving up on call recordings (Which saved my ass in court 3 times so far) is a big no no.

thanks!
    Most Galaxies allow call recording, and new OnePlus phones do too. However, I wouldn't call modern Oxygen or OneUI close to stock, so you could also try CubeACR on a phone that doesn't have the feature (e.g a Pixel)
    What phone and/or OS for mobile has the best likelihood of resisting zero click attacks?
    GrapheneOS is designed with security and privacy in mind and uses techniques like sandboxing to prevent attacks - maybe it'd work? It's open source and doesn't require unlocking the BL to work. Only downside is you'd need a Pixel to use it.
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)