Do you Think HTC will place the same Hardware root block on the DHD as they did on G2

Will the European Desire Z & HD Models be root locked?

• Yes, I think so

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • I don't think so

Votes: 14 24.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

SupremeBeaver

Jun 10, 2010
Nicosia
How so? I'm asking a valid question, T-Mobile US may have pushed HTC into doing this, just like they did to remove Wifi tethering to the G2's supposedly 'Vanilla' version of Android... Do you work for HTC? All we can do is predict trends, nobody knows for sure if the DHD will share this chipset with the US G2.

my thoughts exactly.

liorra3

Jan 27, 2010
Tel Aviv
www.iopanel.net
Apache you gave me a reason to wait details about this are 100% defined and I add..unlocked..before buying. Can't live with a locked Htc with no custom roms.
One question, can you point me where I can follow the development of this?

good one, i will go for that. :)

but we can guess that will find the answer to the root lock coz the DHD will not be alone, the desire Z and G2 is jest the beginning, after that more android devices and windows 7 mobile. some one must hack it. :cool:

stormfury_2

Jan 12, 2008
Bolton
No lock is impossible to break it will just take some creativity from the dev community. Someone will figure out a way to spoof the hardware in to thinking it's running stock software etc. Just sit back and wait or start figuring out a solution, gotta start somewhere with the coding :p

ErMeglio

Jul 2, 2006
Bedford
signed bootloader has stumped the milestone devs for nearly a year, i wont hold my breath for them to break it.
That's what I say! You are all right about the fact there's no security that can't be broken and about the fact there will be more and more devices that need this and so plenty of developers working on a solution. But what about spending 600 € on a phone I want to "play" with because I used to do it and I like it and I actually don't know if and when I will be able to do it? It makes no sense to me. Long time ago I had a Motorola which was locked due to bootloader signature system and do you know when it was hacked? When it was in my drawer since two years. Useless.
So, that's why I'll first wait and see the if. And that's why before knowing this today I always thought Htc wouldn't do anything similar, it's hurting itself imho:(

adwinp

Jun 22, 2008
urandom
You've got it all wrong.
You should select your smartphone according to your needs.

If you do it right, then the lack of custom roms won't be a problem. root, maybe, but not custom roms.
The only subset of people susceptible to play with custom roms are those, who treat the smartphone as an expensive gadget and/or those, who also treat it as a development platform, like me.

kingkeld

Aug 12, 2009
Just to clarify this whole thread, as it (for a relative n00b like me can be hard to interpret), we ARE saying that ROOT is not at all impossible, but that it might be tricky to put a custom ROM. Is that correct?