How to unbrick the soft bricked Captivate

Search This thread

kdkd008

Dec 3, 2012
Sweet!

Well for cwm, go get Corn kernel from the Dev section and flash it with Odin 1.85

After that, you can flash any JB ROM as per their instructions.

I rooted my phone, installed Rom Manager, SuperSU, BusyBox, and when I tried to flash JBROM through Rom Manager, it got stuck. I'm attaching a picture now. I took out the battery and it booted up fine but not sure what's going on. I thought after flashing the Corn kernel, I would be okay. I guess I need to flash a CWM recovery through Odin too, any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20121205_191025.jpg
    IMG_20121205_191025.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 194

kdkd008

Dec 3, 2012
I finally got it working. I appreciate all the help I got today. Thanks :)

Attachments

• IMG_20121205_195550.jpg
    IMG_20121205_195550.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 175

rizwan.hashmi

Mar 15, 2013
My samsung captivate is brikedd..

Plz help me My phone was on download mode then I opened odin after some time odin said completed and my mobile download was stucked in de middle then I took off the batary..plz help me to get it back working..plzzzzzzzzzzzzz..

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
Plz help me My phone was on download mode then I opened odin after some time odin said completed and my mobile download was stucked in de middle then I took off the batary..plz help me to get it back working..plzzzzzzzzzzzzz..

Where you flashing Odin KK4 with bootloaders? If so, by stopping it, you might've hard-bricked your phone. If you weren't flashing the bootloaders version, it's easily recoverable.

Do you get any response from your phone? Lights, vibration, getting it in download mode?

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

danrede

Jan 30, 2013
OMG, My cap has resurrected

I have used ODIN to flash, but i have stopped the method before ate completed... so my phone doesn't show anything after that, he was practily dead... "hard bricked"... after over a month, I went to the samsung assistance in my country (BRAZIL) but there were so many people that I quit. Later, at my home, I started trying revive my cap again for the thousand time. I found something very like this CMD line (dnw HIBL.bin D0020000 / dnw Sbl.bin 40244000). So, after these two files downloaded, I started to put this command under my DOS screen (W7 64bit). After thousand tries, I feeling that I'm very near of the sucess, but still missing something. After all night long, I decided to install a Virtual machine on my W7 and emulated WIN XP sp3 inside. In a little more tries everything goes fine and I had my cap back. Thank you all!!!!!!

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
Recovery from Soft-Brick stuck at download

I'm able to get into download mode....but can't really figure out what to do from here. Someone please help!!

I would imagine you have moved on @taltal13 , but in case you have not.

I had a Cappy I soft-bricked back in June of 2013, think I was attempting wipe the cache partition - but I'm not sure anymore. It was bricked to where I could either get it to download mode or if I tried to boot it the process would stop at the initial AT&T World Phone image. At the time I put it away and picked up an SGS3. The boot image surprised me because the last ROM I had been using was CyanogenMod9, not a stock AT&T ROM.

Yesterday I decided to see if I could resurrect it for potential use as a back up phone on AT&T for me or maybe on Straight Talk if a family member had need. Immediately I expect to be using it as a media player and navigation device using apps which utilize offline map files.

What I did to revive it is a bit different than in the OP, mostly because I no longer have the option of using Windows. Instead of using Odin, I needed a method that used Heimdall. Heimdall uses java and will run on Linux, Windows, and Mac. I picked up and installed the latest version at the developer's site rather than install it from my distro's repositories, this seems to be the standard recommendation. For Windows there is a single file two download. For Linux there is a command line package and a graphical frontend package. The graphical package requires the command line package to be installed first. The current version for all OSes is 1.4.0.

Standard instructions include removing the SIM and microSD cards. I was not using the phone so I had none installed to remove. Most standard instructions will tell you to pull the battery after turning the phone off and before attempting to boot into Download or Recovery Modes. I did not and had no issues, but then my phone was set to give haptic feedback when turned completely off. YMMV.

1) Select and download a one click ROM from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1300843 in the development forum. I used I897UCKH3 Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread, Heimdall One-Click, With Bootloaders.
2) Download the KH3 kernel with CWM recovery by @boog available from the same page.

INSTALLING THE ROM

3) Start the Heimdall One-Click. (Ignore the warning about the Heimdall version not being the expected one.)
4) Start the Cappy into Download Mode by pressing the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons simultaneously and then plugging the micro-USB cable into the phone. (I had previously plugged it into the computer.)
5) Change none of the defaults.
6) Click the Start button.
7) When completed, the phone will automatically reboot.
8) Disconnect the phone from the computer.

I continued because I wanted to install a custom recovery, the reason for the kernel downloaded above. I did not check what kernel was installed prior to continuing, I do not know if it came from the KH3 ROM or if it was residual from prior to the softbrick. I did restart the phone several times with no issues. I was able to connect to Wifi. I do not have a SIM card for this phone, so I did not try to make a call. Data was not working, again because I had no SIM card. I presume the modem/baseband was valid because I was able to connect over Wifi.

INSTALLING THE KERNEL WITH CWM RECOVERY

9) Start the Heimdall program, for the GUI in Linux open a terminal and enter
Code:
heimdall-frontend
Windows version is packaged as a .zip file containing drivers, a readme file, and executable files for the command line and frontend programs. The readme file covers these instructions in steps 3 - 13 under the section titled Performing a Custom Flash with Heimdall Frontend:
10) Start your device in Download Mode as in step 4.
11) Create a valid PIT file for your device, _necessary unless you have one on your computer._
a) Select the Utilites Tab.​
b) Select Detect Device. if not already detected. Once detected...​
c) Select Save As adjacent to the text window below the Download PIT header.​
d) Assign the PIT file a name in the text window and the select the Download button​
12) Select the Flash Tab
a) Browse to and select your PIT file, the one you created or a valid one you already had.​
b) Select the Add button.​
c) In the Partition Name dropdown select the KERNEL partition​
d) Under File (zImage) select Browse and load the kernel you downloaded. Mine came as a .tar file, I loaded without decompressing.​
e) DO NOT enable the Repartition and No reboot checkboxes.​
f) Select the Start button and wait for the process to complete.​
13) Once the kernel is installed and the phone reboots, disconnect your phone.
14) Confirm your custom recovery installed by starting in Recovery Mode;
a) Simultaneously press Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power.​
b) Release Power when you detect any screen activity.​
c) Continue holding the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons while the AT&T World Phone image loads and do not release until you see the recovery.​
15) Reboot

Hope this helps someone. If nothing else it gives me a place to find these instructions in one reading.

Last edited:

Vantres

Feb 21, 2018
any of these procedure didn't solve my problem to my samsung j100M. please help me, until now it is not turning on after I use odin to reprogram my phone:crying::crying::crying::crying:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE:
    So far this has been the only sure fire method I've found to 100% get around any brick situation regardless of firmware, etc. This only works for the captivate, not any other galaxy s variant.
    Situations: phone-!-Computer / no download mode
    Black Screen / RST_STATUS 0x0
    Procedure:
    1. Remove the battery, external SD card and SIM card.
    2. Wait 10 seconds.
    3. Open odin3
    4. Connect usb cable.
    5. Hold volume up + volume down + Power.
    6. Insert battery.
    7. Release POWER BUTTON ONLY.
    You should now be in immediate download mode.
    Please forgive me if this is duplicate some where, but I tried every procedure I could find on google to no avail, then accidentally found this method just before I was going to box it back up and see if my buddy at AT&T would make me eat it or not.
    My situation was: Launched Odin3 to flash H3 firmware, died twice in the middle, and on the third time locked up half ways just at the beginning of factoryfs.rfs -- Then the phone did nothing. Blackscreen is all. Interestingly enough, while in the state if you hold volume up + power, it will give a hw diagnostic screen. Beyond that I could get no where. Just a black screen, no acknowledgement when connected to PC, no charging indicator, nothing.
    If this is a dupe Im sorry but this method I could not find and hope to make it readily available to people who may think their phones bricked.

Update 12/22/2010:
    How to BRICK the phone / WARNING!!!
    If for whatever reason you decide to use Odin to flash a stock GTI9000 ROM and manually add the kernels and modems using a "pure" 2.2.1 sammy rom. BEWARE.
    Researching a lot, it seems the consensus is that the sbl in the 2.2.1 versions of the GTI9000 has *hard* download mode crippled.. Meaning if there is a software screw up YOU CANNOT USE A USB JIG OR ANY OTHER METHOD OF GETTING THE PHONE IN DOWNLOAD MODE!!! To fix it you'll need a new one or JTAG to replace the bootloader.
    As far as I can tell, beyond getting completely rid of the AT&T logo, there is no need to flash boot/sbl to get the "purity" of the 2.2.1 sammy roms.
    Extract all files from the tar EXCEPT boot/sbl and re-tar and flash just those to avoid overwriting the stock captivate boot loader.
    Also, it does not appear the boot/sbl from the captivate 2.2 leak suffers this same problem.
    For any one iffy on bricking their phones, stay away from roms that remove COMPLETELY the AT&T logo on boot. This generally means the boot loader has been messed with any you may be screwed if you soft brick the phone. Most CWM roms dont overwrite the boot/sbl, but some can and do. Watch yourself.. if it the AT&T logo goes away COMPLETELY, I recommend flashing JF6 with One click while the roms alive using adb reboot download and try another rom.
    What worked for me was: Pull the battery, sim and micro sd card. Open odin on the PC. Insert the battery. Hold vol up and down then with the buttons held connect the usb cable. Just remember to plug in the usb cable with the vol up and down held in and odin must be open on the computer.

I also ran into the vol up plus power red text screen. Interesting to note that one of the fields will change depending if the usb cable is connected or not.
    I would like to point out that you can still continue to flash if phone ! computer sign is on. Just make sure odin recognizes your phone "COMM5". I was currently on GB bootloaders and stock UCKK4, hit start and it worked. I was flashing a new kernel.

That will only work on i897 GB bootloaders. As for commx, the number can be any number, it's just what the computer assigns it.
    thanks!

worked...took a few tries but some trick with this captivate to get it into download mode.. i was totally bricked too, diag screen with PC/Phone icons and exclamation mark. for me 1.) plug usb, 2.) hold power and vol up/down and connect battery (it fell out) and i was in download mode

Where you flashing Odin KK4 with bootloaders? If so, by stopping it, you might've hard-bricked your phone. If you weren't flashing the bootloaders version, it's easily recoverable.

Do you get any response from your phone? Lights, vibration, getting it in download mode?