Verizon Moto G on Straight Talk

Search This thread

kaivorth

Jun 11, 2011
The phone is only $99 on Verizon. I heard you needed to use the phone for 6 months before you can use it on another carrier :eek:

Anyway to get around this or has anyone actually done this yet? Want to make sure it works.

And are you still getting Verizon coverage on Straight Talk or how does that work?

Is there a 16gb CDMA version as well? Only saw an 8gb.

romuloxiii

The phone is only $99 on Verizon. I heard you needed to use the phone for 6 months before you can use it on another carrier :eek:

Anyway to get around this or has anyone actually done this yet? Want to make sure it works.

And are you still getting Verizon coverage on Straight Talk or how does that work?

Is there a 16gb CDMA version as well? Only saw an 8gb.

I think that Straight Talk is a GSM network so you would have to have the GSM model of the phone. I was under the impression that Straight Talk uses the T-Mobile network. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

kaivorth

Jun 11, 2011
I think that Straight Talk is a GSM network so you would have to have the GSM model of the phone. I was under the impression that Straight Talk uses the T-Mobile network. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

They have a CDMA card you can buy and register your phone on their network. I think it's kind of new. I'd link you but I'm on mobile

redking117

Nov 3, 2009

Straight talk uses Sprint and Verizon CDMA networks as well as T-mobile and AT&T GSM networks...

I'm really not sure how the BYOD on CDMA works, I would like more info as well.

Straight talk uses Sprint and Verizon CDMA networks as well as T-mobile and AT&T GSM networks...

I'm really not sure how the BYOD on CDMA works, I would like more info as well.

Straight Talk (Verizon Wireless - CDMA) will require an access code to their network; $15.00. This applies to phones that do not have a SIM Card which the $99 8GB Motorola Moto G CDMA variant is. However, I did put the MEID for the device as to its compatibility on Straight Talk and was told it is not which makes no sense given if you have a GSM variant, it does not require a subsidy unlock code if the device is set up with either the AT&T and/or T-Mobile radios. I have to believe that the reason has to do with those stupid clauses which carriers have with their phones and however long they are. It's always been my understanding the code is what you need to run on their network. One caveat; I have noticed that on Verizon Wireless's prepaid "Everything" plan, the devices run only on their 3G network nor am I aware they have the 4G LTE radios in them. I've tested their 3G band and at best regardless of where I have tested it between Albany, GA; Columbus, GA; Auburn-Opelika, AL; the best speed I have had is tops 1.0 meg down but normally about 0.7 megs (700 k) down...enough to run Pandora or any music app. I will say one thing about the phone, for the price, not bad! I wish it was available when I bought an HTC One M7 I paid $650.00 for but I got the DE 64GB variant; this device, you do feel the 8GB restriction though there are many cloud options.