[Q] Importing experience

Search This thread

kauka187

Sep 17, 2008
Narbonne, France
OK Ive just bought it via amazon and chosen 1 day shipping. Im hoping that its not delivered via USPS otherwise I'll have to fill out that damn form.

Fingers crossed

felix-loesch

Nov 29, 2010
Please let us know whether they ship with USPS or not. I need that info before I actually order it with amazon.com. I will use bongous.com as well.

stinky73

Aug 28, 2010
Courchevel
Personal experience....bought TWO Google I/O tabs on well known auction site at probably slightly less or same as what they will eventually retail in france (500€ish)...as they are not on market yet and are in boxes marked "not for sale" the customs people have very little to go on here in the land of wine and cheese and with the help of sellers declaring as pre-production models with low notional value, both have cost zero duty paid ;) well worth doing, they are class pieces of kit...
Cheers :)

kauka187

Sep 17, 2008
Narbonne, France
Personal experience....bought TWO Google I/O tabs on well known auction site at probably slightly less or same as what they will eventually retail in france (500€ish)...as they are not on market yet and are in boxes marked "not for sale" the customs people have very little to go on here in the land of wine and cheese and with the help of sellers declaring as pre-production models with low notional value, both have cost zero duty paid ;) well worth doing, they are class pieces of kit...
Cheers :)

We dont pay duty anyway on electronics here in france :)

As an update to my experience though, just received confirmation email from amazon that my tab has been shipped. VIA UPS!!!!!. So stoked. For those interested, I used next day delivery and it seems that amazon uses UPS instead on USPS, so no extra form to fill out.

It should arrive at my bundlebox address tomorrow so now Im just waiting for an email from them to sort out delivery to France.

gogol

May 20, 2005
Warranty is a gamble, because it is not entitled for international warranty :)

If you are not ready to take the risk, then don't import.

Once I imported from UK (Nexus S) and got a perfect one. If not, I must re-package and ship it back to UK, which means cost money.

Same with importing from US. If you want to return it, then you must ship it back.

PS: I have canceled all my attempts to import from US as I heard Dixons will carry wifi only next July.

http://dixons.nl/artikel/7128349c1679/Samsung_Tab_10.1_inch_tablet_Wifi_(P7510)

Not sure though, I might take the plunge as well :)

Weren't you worried about the lack of any warranty?

stinky73

Aug 28, 2010
Courchevel
Obviously theres a problem with guarantee on IO version as it doesn't carry international guarantee but that's the risk you take playing this sort of game... as far as I'm concerned the IO model is unlocked for developer use so would be fairly hard to guarantee anyway... correct me if I'm wrong but surely most of us on this forum are interested in " tinkering" with these things anyway... rooting, custom roms, upgrading bootloaders etc.... doesn't do much for the guarantee anyway, all that sort of stuff ;)

stinky73

Aug 28, 2010
Courchevel
We dont pay duty anyway on electronics here in france

Beg to differ...TVA is payable @ 20% on electronics imported under MFN ( most favored nation) regulation... don't confuse duties with tva mon ami.... as France has no reciprocal with US if they decide your import has a certain value and you haven't paid tva in France they are entitled to ask for it... same for importing into UK from the states i believe... something called the EU (fast crumbling apparently) allows fairly free trade between member States but not with the US

stinky73

Aug 28, 2010
Courchevel
Exactly hshah, that's the point I'm trying to make... if the origin is outside the EU then no VAT has been paid to the thieving ba****ds so they very often ask for it to be paid on declared value of item... so, no import duty, but you may well still have to pay... seems like a form of duty by another name....:rolleyes:

kauka187

Sep 17, 2008
Narbonne, France
Exactly hshah, that's the point I'm trying to make... if the origin is outside the EU then no VAT has been paid to the thieving ba****ds so they very often ask for it to be paid on declared value of item... so, no import duty, but you may well still have to pay... seems like a form of duty by another name....:rolleyes:

Yeah thats what I was meaning. Its 18.6% in case you were interested, and because of european pricing, including delivery etc, it still works out cheaper.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Paid $499 + $17.98 next-day shipping from Amazon (16GB). Got the $17.98 refunded as it got sent out a day after most people's, despite me ordering within an hour of it appearing for pre-order on the Amazon site. Was dispatched on Friday 17th via UPS.

Shipping forwarder I used was shipito.com in California. Arrived with them on Monday 20th at around 1.30pm (their time). First time of using them but extremely impressed. Flat handling fee of $8.50, and I paid an extra $1 for them to take photos of the contents of the Amazon box (always a chance Amazon packed the wrong thing by mistake!)

Sent by Fedex International Priority at a cost of $45 on Tuesday morning, and arrived here this morning.

Total costs so far = $499.99 + $8.50 + $1 + $45 = $554.49 (GBP £346 approx) but expecting to get a letter from Fedex in the next week asking for customs charges on top, probably around £75.
    The charger comes in two parts, the main charger 'block' and the country-specific plug. The way the two parts connect appears to use a standard 'figure-of-8' connector, so I think you could simply plug a figure-of-8 lead into the charger block, which could have whatever plug you wanted on the other end.
    Success! Got my tab today and was thinking the exact same thing when I saw how the two parts were connected.. I just stole the lead from my old "stereo casette player" and voilla! Pretty sure most people have one of these somewhere in their house/garage.. (Like this one: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21ubVuXpu3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg)

Another positive side effect: that ridiculously short charging cable suddenly got 2 meters longer! :D

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk
    It is rare that a company will offer warranty if they imported it, so it will need to be sent back to the USA.

With regards to the power adaptor, all you need is a figure of 8 power cable and those are less than £2 on Amazon or eBay.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S II