[Root] Universal Xoom Root - ANY XOOM ANY UPDATE

Search This thread

Diagon

Nov 20, 2014
While it's possible to get root on the Xoom by unlocking, flashing a recovery, and then flashing the Xoom-Universal-Root.zip, apparently it is also possible to do via the same procedure but instead flashing a recent Superuser.zip. (Older versions of Superuser are here.) Unpacking those zip files, Superuser.zip seems basically a subset of Xoom-Universal-Root.zip. I am not clear what additional capabilities we get by approaching root this way. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate being enlightened.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Universal Xoom Root

Thats right, this method will work for any xoom on any update - Including future updates!!!

Note: Unlike the similar method floating around on here, this also gives you an unsecured boot image.

-- Please Note: this thread is still a work in process and has been sped up by the arrival of the 4g Xooms --

Current requirements: adb & fastboot have been setup and you have an external sdcard for your xoom.

1. Setting up adb & fastboot
    Coming Soon! (If you want to write this section for me and pm me it, thats fine !)

2. Downloading the rooting-update zip file.
    Download the zip file from here.
    Now place this on your external sdcard. - Sorry this is a requirement at the moment, like I said this is a bit rushed.
    3. Flashing recovery
    1. Download this Recovery image.
    2. If your device is locked, now is a good time to unlock it.
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem unlock
    fastboot reboot

3. Flash recovery
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-Tiamat-R4c-100611-1150-cwm.img
    Once you have verification on your device that this has been flashed, reboot your device by holding volume up + power.
    Then 3 seconds after you see the Motorola logo, hit volume down. You should now see "Android Recovery" in the top left corner. Hit volume up to boot into recovery.

4. Flashing the Xoom-Universal-Root.zip file.
    If you're in clockwork mod recovery you can continue (This recovery image will say it is clockwork mod) . If you're not looking at clockwork mod, then you need to repeat step 3 again.

In cwm, go into "install zip from sdcard" -> "Choose zip from sdcard", then select the Xoom-Universal-Root.zip file you downloaded.
    Note: use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select

Reboot your device and then welcome to your rooted device!

Downloads
    Universal Xoom root - version 1.0
    thanks for this working on my Dad's MZ600

btw I uploaded the Universal Root it seems all links here are broken :)
    This was also tested on a 4G Xoom and is working 100%.
    I've updated the zip file with a ICS compatible su binary.
    I haven't tested personally but it should work.