[TOOL] One Click Tether Enabler For AT&T One X

Search This thread

JeepFreak

May 17, 2008
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Good point! That would be another way to do it, I wouldn't say one method is 'cleaner' then the other though.

Rom developers will probably start having this fix preloaded in their roms but this should work for the ones that don't have it yet!

Not sure what changes you applied in sqlite but I would suggest just reflashing a new rom to fix your dialer then running this tool to get the tether fix.

in adb you would type something like:

adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db "update carriers set apn = 'pta' where _id = 12;"

I updated the OP with a new download that includes adb!

I didn't test with that rom but it should work. Yes, it just modifies the telephony db.

sqlite3 isn't present on the One X, at least not on mine running RUU 1.82.

I agree, that solution would be cleaner if it was.

Billy

Tried to install a few times, but no go ...

I never even knew that tethering wasn't possible with the AT&T ROM. When my unit had the original Rogers ROM, tethering was incredibly simple.

I tried installing your work-around a few times, but I can't get either Wifi tethering to work, nor USB tethering.

This is a very important feature for me, so I hope it's solved soon.

Any ideas?

Peter

t0mmy

Feb 11, 2010
Philly Suburbs
I never even knew that tethering wasn't possible with the AT&T ROM. When my unit had the original Rogers ROM, tethering was incredibly simple.

I tried installing your work-around a few times, but I can't get either Wifi tethering to work, nor USB tethering.

Any ideas?

Peter

Here's what you can try:

1. flash the the stock rogers rom
2. copy this file to your sdcard using a root capable file explorer: /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db
3. flash at&t rom of choice
4. copy that file from your sdcard back to the original location
5. profit

Edit: even easier would be to get that file from someone already on the rogers rom to save you the hassle of reflashing

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterGuru

JeepFreak

May 17, 2008
Google Pixel 4a 5G

Any ideas?

Peter

Hey Buddy, we need to know how it's not working? Are you getting an error w/ the script? An error when enabling it? What's goin' on?

Also, are you on 4G up there?

Billy

waleed90

May 12, 2012
Prosper
Ok I'm on 1.85 cleanrom de 2.0. I did the telephony.db fix. When I try to use the Wifi Hotspot app it just says processing, it never actually starts. When I use the wifi tether app it starts but the download speed is pretty much 0.0 kbps. Its like there is no data at all.

EDIT: Nevermind, I did a restore of the WiFi hotspot app from Tibu. fixed the problem.

Last edited:
If someone can send me their telephony.db file ...

Here's what you can try:

1. flash the the stock rogers rom
2. copy this file to your sdcard using a root capable file explorer: /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db
3. flash at&t rom of choice
4. copy that file from your sdcard back to the original location
5. profit

Edit: even easier would be to get that file from someone already on the rogers rom to save you the hassle of reflashing

I prefer your Edit. If someone can send me their Rogers telephony.db file, I would appreciate it greatly.

Peter

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

Hey Buddy, we need to know how it's not working? Are you getting an error w/ the script? An error when enabling it? What's goin' on?

Also, are you on 4G up there?

Billy

When I select USB tethering, a small window opens saying "processing ...", and then I get a new, small window with the following message:

USB tethering
Unable to turn on USB tethering. Please try again or contact customer service.

At the bottom of this window are two selections: Cancel and Settings

If I then go into Settings>Portable hotspot & tethering, I am unable to make any changes that will resolve the issue.

If I try to enable Portable Wi-Fi hotspot, I get the "processing" window again, and then a new, small window with the following message:

Mobile Hotspot
There is a temporary network problem that prevents the enablement of the Mobile Hotspot function. Please try later.

Again, at the bottom are two selections: Cancel and Settings

These messages have been consistent since yesterday, when I first tried to enable both methods.

Peter

JeepFreak

May 17, 2008
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I prefer your Edit. If someone can send me their Rogers telephony.db file, I would appreciate it greatly.

Peter

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

When I select USB tethering, a small window opens saying "processing ...", and then I get a new, small window with the following message:

USB tethering
Unable to turn on USB tethering. Please try again or contact customer service.

At the bottom of this window are two selections: Cancel and Settings

If I then go into Settings>Portable hotspot & tethering, I am unable to make any changes that will resolve the issue.

If I try to enable Portable Wi-Fi hotspot, I get the "processing" window again, and then a new, small window with the following message:

Mobile Hotspot
There is a temporary network problem that prevents the enablement of the Mobile Hotspot function. Please try later.

Again, at the bottom are two selections: Cancel and Settings

These messages have been consistent since yesterday, when I first tried to enable both methods.

Peter

Are you on 3G or 4G?
Billy

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

JoeM01

Nov 18, 2011
ok, dumb question....but how does this address AT&T picking up on the different IP connecting through the phone, without the tethering plan?

If you mean LTE ...

Are you on 3G or 4G?
Billy

If 4G = LTE, then I'm on 4G. Actually, now that I'm using CleanROM, I don't think I really have a choice. When my unit had its original Rogers ROM, there was the option to choose connection methods, but I don't think I have that option now.

Peter

PurpleFries

Jul 18, 2009
Toronto
If you dial #*#*4636*#*# into the dialer (if that doesn't work, flip the * and #) you will be brought to some hidden settings, hit phone information and in the drop box near the bottom, put wcdma preferred to turn off lte radio. You can do this way on any android phone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Reactions: PeterGuru
Didn't know that ...

If you dial #*#*4636*#*# into the dialer (if that doesn't work, flip the * and #) you will be brought to some hidden settings, hit phone information and in the drop box near the bottom, put wcdma preferred to turn off lte radio. You can do this way on any android phone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Hey, I didn't know that. Thanks!

Peter

fluxgfx

Jun 1, 2011
Ottawa
www.cryovex.com
If you guys could enlighten me.

I've run the tool but it still doesn't allow me to tether.

The message I get "Temporary network problem that prevents the enablement of the mobile hotspot function".

elementaldragon

Feb 21, 2011
ok, dumb question....but how does this address AT&T picking up on the different IP connecting through the phone, without the tethering plan?

Uuh... it probably doesn't. I believe this just makes it a bit simpler to actually enable tethering. They can still probably just as easily figure out whether you're tethering or not.

JoeM01

Nov 18, 2011
Uuh... it probably doesn't. I believe this just makes it a bit simpler to actually enable tethering. They can still probably just as easily figure out whether you're tethering or not.

exactly. :D

i got a "cut it the f*ck out" notice from AT&T once. haven't done it since. i have it, it's available in a pinch, but I'm not paying those assholes another $20 to use the data that I'm already paying for.

I pay for 2gb and never hit 2gb. i pay for another 2gb for my wife, and she uses 1/10th of that. so every month, those douchecanoes are getting $50/month for 4gb data, and I'm using less than half of that. god forbid I want to tether my ipad to my phone and use the data that I have already paid for.

/rant/threadhighjack

elementaldragon

Feb 21, 2011

i got a "cut it the f*ck out" notice from AT&T once. haven't done it since. i have it, it's available in a pinch, but I'm not paying those assholes another $20 to use the data that I'm already paying for.

I pay for 2gb and never hit 2gb. i pay for another 2gb for my wife, and she uses 1/10th of that. so every month, those douchecanoes are getting $50/month for 4gb data, and I'm using less than half of that. god forbid I want to tether my ipad to my phone and use the data that I have already paid for.

/rant/threadhighjack

Yea... it doesn't really make sense to me. But i can tell you one thing. If there comes a time where they force me out of my grandfathered unlimited data plan, I'm going to demand that whatever they offer to bump me to will also allow tethering, and not some crappy 300MB/mo. plan, either. It IS ridiculous that you're paying for data that you can't use. I can KINDA understand with those who still have the unlimited plan, but for those paying for a limited monthly bandwidth, it makes zero sense. If anything, allowing tethering will increase the chances of that customer coming up to and breaching their bandwidth limit, resulting in more money for them anyway.

DeathmonkeyGTX

Oct 15, 2007
Little Rock, AR

/rant/threadhighjack

I tether when my local isp decided to break or run scheduled maintenance without telling anyone about it. I have been doing it this way since a good while before android was bought by Google. I guess I'm just lucky but I have never gotten a message about it. I'm pretty careful with it the last few years.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

t0mmy tether for HTC One X

INFO

This tool will allow you to use the stock WIFI Hotspot app on the AT&T stock rom without a tether plan. This should also work on any rom that doesn't have this fix already applied.
    New Linux/Mac version courtesy of Paul, XDA user vbrtrmn.

HOW TO USE
    1. Make sure phone is plugged in to usb
    2. Download file
    3. Unzip to your computer
    4. Run tether.bat
    5. Follow instructions on screen

NOTES
    • Windows users: download the .zip attachment, Linux/Mac: download the .sh.gz
    • Your phone must be rooted and you must have the android sdk installed to use this!

IDqgc.png

Edit 1
    Added the adb binaries for users getting 'adb is not recognized as a command' error

Edit 2
    Added Linux/Mac version, thanks Paul

you can do this much cleaner by just running a sqlite command to set all the values instead of pushing a different db in.

for rom devs, you can change this in the framework where the apn is stored, that way it gets put into the database this way.
    True but this ones free while sqlite isn't. I've already enabled mine but thread like this is always appreciated.

what? sqlite is built into android, how do think it uses that sqlite file? lol

you can run an adb shell command to do the same thing.

just throwing up other options for the op to check out..
    This tool will allow you to use the stock WIFI Hotspot app on the AT&T stock rom without a tether plan. This should also work on any rom that doesn't have this fix already applied.

Flashable zip attached. Move to op if you want...

-Scott
    Great tool, this will be used by many, thanks