How to unbrick your G2x from GB update through LG

Search This thread

speedsk8x

Apr 20, 2011
Solution!

As many have stated, pushing the v21E_00.kdz via the KDZ_FW_UPD program does work. It's just touchy.

This is a step by step guide to get you back in to working shape.

Note: You MUST do this via a PC running Windows XP. Running Vista/7 in compatibility mode is not going to work, period.

Edit: As an alternative, a virtual environment running XP will do the job. Those steps are up to you.

Part 1: Download the files you will need below.

V21E_00.kdz
KDZ_FW_UPD_EN
One-Click-G2x-recovery-flasher-06-16.rar
LG USB Drivers G2x

Part 2:

1) Install the LG G2x USB drivers to your WinXP machine.
2) Extract the entire contents of the One-Click recovery in to a folder and keep it handy.
3) Remove the battery from the phone. Hold both volume buttons and plug in the USB cable. If you are asked for a driver, look in the APX folder where you extracted the One-Click recovery archive.
4) Run OneClickRecoveryFlasher.exe and flash the stock recovery. Wait for the process to finish and close all windows and unplug the phone.
Edit: It's been reported that some users have been able to boot in to their old rom after this point. If you can, you're done. Go
back and put CWR on and flash whatever you want. If you are still stuck, continue this guide.

5) Put the battery back into the phone and turn it on. You will be back at the S/W Upgrade screen. This is where you want to be! Now plug the USB cable back in to the phone. If everything is up to snuff you should have no driver problems at this point.
6) Extract KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.7z in to a folder. Inside is a msxml.msi. You need to run and install this first!
7) Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe.. Leave the type set to CDMA and the phone mode set to DIAG. DO NOT CLICK ON "Read phone information"
8) Click the folder icon and load the V21E_00.kdz
9) Click launch software update (and pray!)

What you will see:

The log window will immediatly show:
22:41:02 : Launching SW update
22:41:02 : Unpacking KDZ

Then it will stop for a while.
After this you will most likely see:
22:41:16 : KDZ file extraced
22:41:21 : Files were extracted.
22:41:21 : LGMobileDL Load.
22:41:21 : Port = 5
22:41:21 : Connecting to phone
22:41:33 : Check Phone mode = 1

It will pause again before you see:
22:42:08 : Phone type check.......
22:42:08 : LGMobileDL.DLL Loading....
22:42:08 : _SetAuthMark Fail
22:42:08 : AuthMark°¡ Á¤È®È÷ Phone¿¡ Write µÇÁö ¾Ê¾Ò½À´Ï´Ù!
22:42:08 : LoadCDMAPhoneData() Error
22:42:08 : _DetachDLL Call
22:42:08 : _DetachDLL Call End
22:42:08 : Param : Path = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\V21E.wdb
22:42:08 : Param : moduleDir =
22:42:08 : Param : waitTime = 33000
22:42:08 : Param : UsbHighSpeed = 0
22:42:08 : Param : PhoneMode = 1
22:42:08 : Param : BinVersion = V21E_00
22:42:08 : Param : AuthMark = 0
22:42:08 : Call fn_StartUpgrade

Finally after another pause you should start to get spammed by the following message:
22:42:41 : CDMA: wParam = 2007, lParam = 0
22:42:41 : Model Dll Msg Not Found(2007, 0)

You will even hear the USB disconnect/reconnect sound several times.
The sound and spam will continue until the lParam counts to 100.
It should look like:
22:46:25 : CDMA: wParam = 2005, lParam = 100
22:46:25 : Model Dll Msg Not Found(2005, 100)
22:46:25 : CDMA: wParam = 2001, lParam = 0
22:46:25 : Model Dll Msg Not Found(2001, 0)

After it gets to 100, your phone will reboot to the LG logo before going
blank. After a few moments of the blank screen you will get the TMO G2x splash before being dropped back in to your working phone.

Be patient as this takes a while. If at any point the program freezes for more than a few moments, it's most likely going to fail and you will need to try again.

Hope this helps. =)

Thanks to everyone who helped figure this out.

Edit: Added some missing info.

Spunix

May 13, 2011
Mod Please please sticky!!!
All credit goes to jriv

1. use windows xp
1. I SAID USE WINDOWS XP - will not work under any other windows OS
2. download lg drivers for g2x (not 100% sure if needed but I did to be safe
3. download http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata...00/V21E_00.kdz
4. download the program in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=810271
5. unzip kdz
6. run msxml.msi
7. run kdz
8. leave as CDMA & DIAG
9. select the V21E_00.kdz file you downloaded in step 3
10. click launch software update
11. enjoy GB
a few users had to try a few times, it worked on try #1 for me in XP... vista/7 all failed when I tried

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179750

mmapcpro

Jun 13, 2011
DuPont, WA
All credit goes to jriv

1. use windows xp
4. download the program in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=810271
5. unzip kdz
6. run msxml.msi
7. run kdz
8. leave as CDMA & DIAG
11. enjoy GB
a few users had to try a few times, it worked on try #1 for me in XP... vista/7 all failed when I tried

Will either 32bit or 64bit XP work?

jriv

Apr 13, 2010
Princeton,MN
U can use win 7 just get a program called XP mode its a virtual win XP

Sent from a guy living in a van down by the river

josh1701

May 3, 2007
XP mode didnt work for me...device disconnects during upgrade and xo mode maes you reattach usb devices...which hangs the upgrade softwa

jmh625

Jul 20, 2010
Step 3 not wprking for me. Wont even turn on while holding volume butons then install usb. Where do we get the drivers and what ones do we need? Do we install them on the phone or cumputer? How do we do this? When on click on the link for step 3 to dpwnload it brings up page saying not found. When I go to the xda page for step for to download it brings up a bar code type deal. This makes no sence. Step 5 through 10 I have pretty much done but everytime I press update software it either freezes the window or blanks the window. Or says it cant read my phone. Nor does my computer read my phone anymore. And when it does it mentions something about how the device in the usb port has manfunctioned.

Sorry for all the weird and noob questions. But the truth is the only reason I even attempted this update was b/c it was 4 easy steps which I followed to a T according to LG's website. I even read through then twice just to make sure. I am not a cumputer guy so if someone can help me out with this in simple terms that would be great. I am highly irrated at this situation that the manufacture would release a update and it fail for so many people. Now I have a awesome phone stuck on S/W screen

overground

Retired Senior Moderator / Inactive Recognized Dev
Step 3 not wprking for me. Wont even turn on while holding volume butons then install usb. Where do we get the drivers and what ones do we need? Do we install them on the phone or cumputer? How do we do this? When on click on the link for step 3 to dpwnload it brings up page saying not found. When I go to the xda page for step for to download it brings up a bar code type deal. This makes no sence. Step 5 through 10 I have pretty much done but everytime I press update software it either freezes the window or blanks the window. Or says it cant read my phone. Nor does my computer read my phone anymore. And when it does it mentions something about how the device in the usb port has manfunctioned.

Sorry for all the weird and noob questions. But the truth is the only reason I even attempted this update was b/c it was 4 easy steps which I followed to a T according to LG's website. I even read through then twice just to make sure. I am not a cumputer guy so if someone can help me out with this in simple terms that would be great. I am highly irrated at this situation that the manufacture would release a update and it fail for so many people. Now I have a awesome phone stuck on S/W screen

If your phone is stock and not rooted (or you haven't flashed an alternate recovery) step 3 can be skipped. Drivers are to be installed to the PC and make sure you scroll down to the T-mobile portion in the linked page. Just download this: http://s3.amazonaws.com/lgforum.com...nal/LG _USB _Drivers_All_4.9.7.zip?1298055768 and this: http://s3.amazonaws.com/lgforum.com...Mobile_Android_USB_Driver_v2.2.zip?1303408893

Unzip both and install to PC.

Just a note: It took me at least 3 attempts to get this going. Kept freezing at something (not exact) like: Model Dll Msg Not Found(3501, 1)

I'll try to get a mirror up for the .kdz file soon.

Reactions: zimphishmonger

KiNG OMaR

Sep 20, 2010
Chicago
I know it says it won't work on Win7, but the upgrade doesn't fail... The program just stops responding and pretty much force closes. Is that what you meant by won't work on Win7?

Final View

Jul 14, 2011
Ontario
I'm running XP and I still can't fix it. Doesn't launch the .kdz file unless the phone is disconnected (freezes when it's connected). When i try to plug it in after it says it has been launched, it does not recognize my phone.

KiNG OMaR

Sep 20, 2010
Chicago
SUCCESS!!!! :D

Although it's very frustrating when something goes wrong, I actually welcomed the new experience. After all, you do learn from your mistakes ;)

chrisdepew

Jun 3, 2011
This doesn't work. How many times do I have to post this in various forums before anyone hears me. I can't be the only person running XP and following the simple step by step instructions that can't get this to work.

I try a different way thinking that if I just run cwm recovery and install the old .rar file it will be fine. Didn't work, asked in the development section about this, and I get sent back to a post about this method that I have tried 100 times. I have uninstalled everything reinstalled everything. IT DOESN"T WORK!

Reactions: vivekmishra

jrfaulkin

Nov 14, 2006
Houston, TX
OnePlus 7 Pro
XP mode didnt work for me...device disconnects during upgrade and xo mode maes you reattach usb devices...which hangs the upgrade softwa

You can use XP mode to do this, and yes the USB driver will detach. Just re-attach it and the flasher will kick right back in where it left off. I had to do this just twice during the procedure. As long as you stay on top of it you will have no problem.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1180743

overground

Retired Senior Moderator / Inactive Recognized Dev
This doesn't work. How many times do I have to post this in various forums before anyone hears me. I can't be the only person running XP and following the simple step by step instructions that can't get this to work.

I try a different way thinking that if I just run cwm recovery and install the old .rar file it will be fine. Didn't work, asked in the development section about this, and I get sent back to a post about this method that I have tried 100 times. I have uninstalled everything reinstalled everything. IT DOESN"T WORK!

IT DOES WORK! You should not be installing any .rar file via CWM. I think your problem is what you're doing with that .rar file. It needs to be extracted and run from your PC. CWM recovery has nothing to do with this...but you'll need to put it back when you're done. From the OP:

2) Extract the entire contents of the One-Click recovery in to a folder and keep it handy.
3) Remove the battery from the phone. Hold both volume buttons and plug in the USB cable. If you are asked for a driver, look in the APX folder where you extracted the One-Click recovery archive.
4) Run OneClickRecoveryFlasher.exe and flash the stock recovery. Wait for the process to finish and close all windows and unplug the phone.

OneClickRecoveryFlasher.exe is in the NVflash folder.

sincest

Jun 9, 2011
is there a way to put the phone in s/w upgrade modE? im not bricked just want to be able to upgrade this for the baseband

jmh625

Jul 20, 2010
Can I get step by step instructions for someone stuck with sw screen that has a completely stock phone. I have tried the above steps about 50 Times with same results. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Qballdz

May 27, 2011
Phone Not Found

I have tried these steps a number of times so far and everytime I run KDZ it goes through the motions and says that the Phone is Not Found.

Anyone else get this?

chrisdepew

Jun 3, 2011
IT DOES WORK! You should not be installing any .rar file via CWM. I think your problem is what you're doing with that .rar file. It needs to be extracted and run from your PC. CWM recovery has nothing to do with this...but you'll need to put it back when you're done. From the OP:

OneClickRecoveryFlasher.exe is in the NVflash folder.

I only tried the .rar file after trying the steps in this message 50 times. I figured I needed try something new. I am on a third machine.

I have already flashed back to stock recovery. So, I guess I just need to install all those files to this machine and try everything again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solution!

As many have stated, pushing the v21E_00.kdz via the KDZ_FW_UPD program does work. It's just touchy.

This is a step by step guide to get you back in to working shape.

Note: You MUST do this via a PC running Windows XP. Running Vista/7 in compatibility mode is not going to work, period.

Edit: As an alternative, a virtual environment running XP will do the job. Those steps are up to you.

Part 1: Download the files you will need below.

V21E_00.kdz
    KDZ_FW_UPD_EN
    One-Click-G2x-recovery-flasher-06-16.rar
    LG USB Drivers G2x

Part 2:

1) Install the LG G2x USB drivers to your WinXP machine.
    Edit: It's been reported that some users have been able to boot in to their old rom after this point. If you can, you're done. Go
    back and put CWR on and flash whatever you want. If you are still stuck, continue this guide.

5) Put the battery back into the phone and turn it on. You will be back at the S/W Upgrade screen. This is where you want to be! Now plug the USB cable back in to the phone. If everything is up to snuff you should have no driver problems at this point.
    6) Extract KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.7z in to a folder. Inside is a msxml.msi. You need to run and install this first!
    7) Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe.. Leave the type set to CDMA and the phone mode set to DIAG. DO NOT CLICK ON "Read phone information"
    8) Click the folder icon and load the V21E_00.kdz
    9) Click launch software update (and pray!)

What you will see:

The log window will immediatly show:
    22:41:02 : Launching SW update
    22:41:02 : Unpacking KDZ

Then it will stop for a while.
    After this you will most likely see:
    22:41:16 : KDZ file extraced
    22:41:21 : Files were extracted.
    22:41:21 : LGMobileDL Load.
    22:41:21 : Port = 5
    22:41:21 : Connecting to phone
    22:41:33 : Check Phone mode = 1

It will pause again before you see:
    22:42:08 : Phone type check.......
    22:42:08 : LGMobileDL.DLL Loading....
    22:42:08 : AuthMark°¡ Á¤È®È÷ Phone¿¡ Write µÇÁö ¾Ê¾Ò½À´Ï´Ù!
    22:42:08 : LoadCDMAPhoneData() Error
    22:42:08 : _DetachDLL Call
    22:42:08 : _DetachDLL Call End
    22:42:08 : Param : Path = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\V21E.wdb
    22:42:08 : Param : moduleDir =
    22:42:08 : Param : waitTime = 33000
    22:42:08 : Param : UsbHighSpeed = 0
    22:42:08 : Param : PhoneMode = 1
    22:42:08 : Param : BinVersion = V21E_00
    22:42:08 : Param : AuthMark = 0
    22:42:08 : Call fn_StartUpgrade

Finally after another pause you should start to get spammed by the following message:
    22:42:41 : CDMA: wParam = 2007, lParam = 0
    22:42:41 : Model Dll Msg Not Found(2007, 0)

You will even hear the USB disconnect/reconnect sound several times.
    The sound and spam will continue until the lParam counts to 100.
    It should look like:
    22:46:25 : CDMA: wParam = 2005, lParam = 100
    22:46:25 : Model Dll Msg Not Found(2005, 100)
    22:46:25 : CDMA: wParam = 2001, lParam = 0
    22:46:25 : Model Dll Msg Not Found(2001, 0)

After it gets to 100, your phone will reboot to the LG logo before going
    blank. After a few moments of the blank screen you will get the TMO G2x splash before being dropped back in to your working phone.

Be patient as this takes a while. If at any point the program freezes for more than a few moments, it's most likely going to fail and you will need to try again.

Hope this helps. =)

Thanks to everyone who helped figure this out.

Edit: Added some missing info.
    All credit goes to jriv

1. use windows xp
    5. unzip kdz
    6. run msxml.msi
    7. run kdz
    8. leave as CDMA & DIAG
    11. enjoy GB

trying to unbrickmy g2x it been hanging for about 20min on smart:wparam = 2010, iparam=3033...... any suggestions?

This happened to me as well. Many times.. When I read the log file for the KDZ updater it was showing timeouts talking to the modem asking for the software version I think. So when you get this message I think it is basically a time out error talking with the modem waiting for the AT responses.

So after reading every thread I could find I ended up using the LG_KDZ_FW-Update_OfflineFix.zip running the VB script to trick the update program, setting the phone manually to the s/W update during the process, unplugging and replugging my phone during the upgrade to get past the modem driver installation in s/w mode. So when it hung on trying to install the modem driver, I marked the driver as disabled waited for it to start extracting the kdz file I pulled the battery, put it into the manual s/w upgrade mode (power+down, let up power the moment the lg logo shows up but continue to hold the down), plugged it in and it actually went thru the rest of the process. I found a comment about how it flashes in three stages and for me it would never completely install the modem driver. I will try to add links in an update to this post shortly if I can find them again otherwise I did find them by searching.

The idea for manual s/w update mode and a much better understanding of what the process was trying to do was read over here on this page:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1601918&page=27
    thank you kwes1020 and jboxer

Oh and my baseband was missing at the start of this process due to a bad lg update.... And after it flashed via the process above it was still missing then I read this and a reboot fixed it... jboxer again thank you.

All run in windows xp sp3.

Thank you to unknown_world and spyrosk for your work as well!
    Here is the thread link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1473781
    VB script link: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22189294&postcount=30

Anyhow hope it helps.

wowsher

If your phone is stock and not rooted (or you haven't flashed an alternate recovery) step 3 can be skipped. Drivers are to be installed to the PC and make sure you scroll down to the T-mobile portion in the linked page. Just download this: http://s3.amazonaws.com/lgforum.com...nal/LG _USB _Drivers_All_4.9.7.zip?1298055768 and this: http://s3.amazonaws.com/lgforum.com...Mobile_Android_USB_Driver_v2.2.zip?1303408893

Unzip both and install to PC.

Just a note: It took me at least 3 attempts to get this going. Kept freezing at something (not exact) like: Model Dll Msg Not Found(3501, 1)

I'll try to get a mirror up for the .kdz file soon.
    I just wanted to say thank you for getting my phone back up and running after failing a baseband downgrade.

I also wanted to note that if anyone is having trouble getting winxp setup for vmware or virtualpc you can get windows XP mode straight from Microsoft's website and use either virtual PC or vmware to run it.

I say this cause I couldn't get windows XP to install in vmware without having a product key, even with integrated version.

And also using the v21e kdz got me July baseband so now I can use my Bluetooth in cm7 now!

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

And also a note: couldn't get nvflasher to work on winxp. Don't know why but it failed to open. Just flashed stock recovery in win7 first then followed the next steps in winxp.

Also if your not sure if the program is running or not go open c:\user\documents and settings\shared documents\application data\(some LG folder,forgot name not at home)\

Application data folder is hidden by default. Must go to folder options and enable show hidden files and folders.

In this folder you can see it writing files to the folder for use in flashing to phone. Guess its temp? Either way its good to look at if ur not sure if the app is doing anything or not.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2