Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOW TO] Free Cinema Plug-In besides Urukdroid

1,132 posts
Thanks Meter: 174

By Lenn, Senior Member on 23rd June 2012, 12:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey Guys

I'm back
(For these who dont know me: I was here since the 8ers are out and have had a bunch of projectes )

Whatever i would like to discribe you my own way to get the Cinema Plugin for free besides Urukdroid.

5 Steps:

1) Go to the Rescovery Menu -> Update Firmware
2) Download the Firmware Version 2.3.26
3) Plugin your Archos via USB and copy the aos file
4) Press the Power Button to install the firmware.

5) Install Urukdroid the "normal" way !

How this works?

This trick works because in the firmware Version 2.3.26 Archos has missed to put in the "Lock" for HD/DTS/etc.

Now you can use Urukdroid for the normal use and if you want to see a film you just Boot the Archos into "Android" (The normal Archos Firmware) by pressing the Volume Down Button and selecting "Android".

Have Fun!

Greetz
Lenn
The Following User Says Thank You to Lenn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lenn Ad-Free
23rd June 2012, 01:11 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 110

More
Welcome back. I've always been curious why archos made it this way - you have the player but if you want to play all kinds of movies you have to buy their plugin. Isn't it enought that we bought their product already? When I tried to play a movie for the very first time and I was forced to pay for it I was like "whatta hell?!". Glad to see some new tips and tricks about our kinda forgotten devices.
23rd June 2012, 01:25 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lippstadt
Thanks Meter: 174

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavasilisk

Welcome back. I've always been curious why archos made it this way - you have the player but if you want to play all kinds of movies you have to buy their plugin. Isn't it enought that we bought their product already? When I tried to play a movie for the very first time and I was forced to pay for it I was like "whatta hell?!". Glad to see some new tips and tricks about our kinda forgotten devices.

Archos made this since their 7th Generation, the 5 Internet Tablet^^
I have bought the Cinema Plugin for this Device for 15 Euro.
A friend of me has just bought the Plugin for his Generation 9 Device.

We, the 8ers, are lucky to have this trick so we dont need to pay for the plugin

And are Devices arent forgotten
Many people said that before you, at the beginning the people said that we`ll never get a Rom or Gingerbread or whatever^^ But we did it

Greetz
Lenn
23rd June 2012, 02:18 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 110

More
Forgotten by Archos not by developers of custom roms
23rd June 2012, 08:25 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 143

More
The reason why Archos did that is because unlike alot of .... manufacaturers they care about intellectual Property.

As the two things you buy with the plugin are MPEG2TS and AC3 playback and they are quite expensive and the licences have to be paid depending on the number of devices, Archos decided to not include them in every device.

As not that many really need those two codecs it's good that for ex i don't have to pay for that.
26th September 2012, 03:42 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzelle

The reason why Archos did that is because unlike alot of .... manufacaturers they care about intellectual Property.

As the two things you buy with the plugin are MPEG2TS and AC3 playback and they are quite expensive and the licences have to be paid depending on the number of devices, Archos decided to not include them in every device.

As not that many really need those two codecs it's good that for ex i don't have to pay for that.

Can I do this even with Urukdroid, currently installed. I also notice, this is an old post, has there been any other way to accomplish this.

Anyways thanks Lenn for the tip.
26th September 2012, 05:24 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
When I tried updating the firmware, it came up with an error - Firmware too old for your hardware (221).

Help please?

Thanks,
16th November 2012, 11:51 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
I tried this with a 70b IT (Froyo) and I get Update Failed (207).

What can I do to get round this?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)