[Q] Waterproofing

Search This thread

elevation_2

Aug 26, 2011
Hey Guys,

Every time I switch on my phone I get the message "Please close the external connector covers to secure waterproofing"

This message comes when I switch on my phone even of the connectors are closed. Is this normal? I was under the impression this message would only come if the connectors were open. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Thanks

X

x102x96x

Hey Guys,

Every time I switch on my phone I get the message "Please close the external connector covers to secure waterproofing"

This message comes when I switch on my phone even of the connectors are closed. Is this normal? I was under the impression this message would only come if the connectors were open. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Thanks

thr s sth to choose "not show this msg" or something like this.
if thr s nothing! or u select it and this msg appear again it s not normal.
u can easily fix it with factory reset or repair by PCC.
:good:

elevation_2

Aug 26, 2011
There is the option to not show this message again but I want to know if others are also seeing this when they switch it on

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

p2dr

Mar 15, 2012
Ridderkerk
... Can anyone tell me if this is normal?... but I want to know if others are also seeing this when they switch it on

No I dont think it's normal, and no I don't get the messages. Only, obviously :p, when flaps are actualy open. Device in use for two days now :D

But I think you might have faulty hardware if factory reset -both ways- do not help :(

Last edited:

elevation_2

Aug 26, 2011
I think I'm going to just put it in water and hold my breath :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pytte

Dec 11, 2008
Copenhagen
it should pop up everytime you disconnect power from the phone. . I don't think the phone actually knows when the flaps are open .. I tried repowering with my power flap off, it didn't warn me .. but when i connect/disconnect microusb it does..

Reactions: Rekoil

rubez

Feb 18, 2014
This surely is just an important message to first time users... incase there is anyone stupid enough to immerse the phone in water with the flaps open.

You get these type of messages/notifications/tips with windows programs all the time. Tick the box so it doesn't bother you again - I also doubt whether the phone can tell if the flaps are open or shut (hence the initial notification) it almost certainly can't tell - they are just protective covers. This is just a 'take heed' notification. It popped up first time I use my phone - with flaps closed.

I think you are worrying incase the flaps aren't water-tight and a warning message is showing - not the case at all IMO.

ro_explorer

Dec 3, 2010
Stockholm
I need to issue a warning.
Maybe only my unit has this problem but, nevertheless, take care.

So .. I took the phone to the pool and used it as a camera .. everything was OK.
One month later (last evening to be more exact) I simply washed the phone in warm water to clean it up (it had some chocolate traces on it :) ) ...
well ... now I have to send it to warranty because water got under the screen. The flaps were closed (actually I barely open the micro-usb one now and then ... because I also use a magnetic connector for charging it).
I suspect a manufacturing defect which allowed the water to get in from other locations than the flaps (in my case, I think the ear piece is the culprit).

Anyway .. take care ...

Attachments

• DSC06312.jpg
    DSC06312.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 580
Last edited:

zeus2602

Dec 31, 2010
Wels
I need to issue a warning.
Maybe only my unit has this problem but, nevertheless, take care.

So .. I took the phone to the pool and used it as a camera .. everything was OK.
One month later (last evening to be more exact) I simply washed the phone in warm water to clean it up (it had some chocolate traces on it :) ) ...
well ... now I have to send it to warranty because water got under the screen. The flaps were closed (actually I barely open the micro-usb one now and then ... because I also use a magnetic connector for charging it).
I suspect a manufacturing defect twhich allowed the water to get in from other locations than the flaps (in my case, I thing the ear piece is the culprit).

Anyway .. take care ...

I use a underwater camerahousing for shooting, i always wonder how the flaps form z1c can prevent from waterdamage over a longer periode of time.

@my underwater camerahousing i remove the sealing ring (O-ring) when the housing is not used for >3months i clean it use siliconspray. And if there gets dirt on the O-Ring or get twisted on the housing->Water->Camera->:crying:

When i look at my z1c flaps, the O-Ring is full of dust and no one use a siliconspray. On the other side the waterpressure press the flaps on the phone.

ro_explorer

Dec 3, 2010
Stockholm
I put this in a simple way: If the producer is advertising the phone as waterproof (under certain conditions) then it should meet the standards.
The concern is that it met the waterproofing requirements .. after all I took it to the pool twice and used it underwater ... no problem.
Now, a little bit later, only some spilled water on the phone (not even with pressure) found a way in ... this is outrageous.

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
I put this in a simple way: If the producer is advertising the phone as waterproof (under certain conditions) then it should meet the standards.
The concern is that it met the waterproofing requirements .. after all I took it to the pool twice and used it underwater ... no problem.
Now, a little bit later, only some spilled water on the phone (not even with pressure) found a way in ... this is outrageous.

You said "washed the phone in warm water", that doesn't suggest you only spilled a bit on it. If I drop my phone in a sink full of water, in the toilet or puddle and water gets in then I would have every right to complain, but I do find it hard to have sympathy for People who have "tested" the water proof capabilities.

Sent from the app on my Z1C...

ro_explorer

Dec 3, 2010
Stockholm
If I buy a parachute I buy it not because it is nice looking or cool ... I buy it because I expect it to keep me alive after I jump from an airplane ...
If I jump from an airplane and my parachute will not open but I'm barely alive because I was cautions enough to have a spare one, then I have all the rights in the world to complain ... right?

The phone has IP58 certification, dust- and waterproof ... so it MUST sustain water on it, submerging totally in water, heavy rain or simply tap water. That why it had that certification in the first place.

Look at the OFFICIAL commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j_fJeTtuz0

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
The phone has IP58 certification, dust- and waterproof ... so it MUST sustain water on it, submerging totally in water, heavy rain or simply tap water. That why it had that certification in the first place.
I feel your pain, I do, however...
I simply washed the phone in warm water to clean it up (it had some chocolate traces on it
That to me suggests you had a bowl/sink of warm water and washed it like a plate or something, if the Phone has flexed then in may have sucked it in, who knows. I think too many People put too much emphasis on "water proof" and get burnt in the process.

ro_explorer

Dec 3, 2010
Stockholm
It was tap water ... warm, not hot, not cold .. room temperature ... not jet, spray mode. it was like a heavy rain if you want to associate the physical "impact".
No bending, not rubbing ...

God damn it ... I'm an engineer .. I know how to handle this crap :).

Last edited:
Reactions: qx876

zeus2602

Dec 31, 2010
Wels

If I buy a parachute I buy it not because it is nice looking or cool ... I buy it because I expect it to keep me alive after I jump from an airplane ...
If I jump from an airplane and my parachute will not open but I'm barely alive because I was cautions enough to have a spare one, then I have all the rights in the world to complain ... right?

Look at the OFFICIAL commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j_fJeTtuz0

Your right.
My underwater camerahousing is Waterproof too, but only if i care about the cleaning/maintain rituals, they make the housing waterproof.

Same with the Parachute, yes it can save your life when you jump from the Plane, but only if you pack it right, maintain it and ensure that all ropes and the chute self are under good condition.

ro_explorer

Dec 3, 2010
Stockholm
The phone was barely 1 month old. The seals were greased with silicone vaseline from day 1. I used a magnetic charger connector all the time.
More than that, I'm pretty sure the water did not got inside on the flaps but more through the ear piece. We'll see what the guys from the service will say. I'm very curious.

// sent from my tablet //

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update:

Phone is back. it is the same phone - repaired.
    They've changed the display assembly and a lot of other small accessories (probably damaged during dismantling the phone).

On the paper it is also stated that they tested the unit for water resistance (after being repaired) and it passed.

The screen is slightly misaligned but I will just close an eye on this.
    This surely is just an important message to first time users... incase there is anyone stupid enough to immerse the phone in water with the flaps open.

You get these type of messages/notifications/tips with windows programs all the time. Tick the box so it doesn't bother you again - I also doubt whether the phone can tell if the flaps are open or shut (hence the initial notification) it almost certainly can't tell - they are just protective covers. This is just a 'take heed' notification. It popped up first time I use my phone - with flaps closed.

I think you are worrying incase the flaps aren't water-tight and a warning message is showing - not the case at all IMO.
    update

Post result after replacement. Tks.

Hi, did you already replaced the back? Was it easy and did you maintain waterproofing?

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Free mobile app

yes i did replace it ... but i fu#@$ it up. Once you put the back cover do not remove as the adhesive can only be use once, i did try to remove it for something that i forgot XD and then put it back and right after i did it i also tested the phone in water and it went OK but after a few days the gap problem came back and even worse so i ordered a black cover some new adhesive and will do it again. hopefully this time i will do it right.

I used a hair dryer, a suction cup and some opening tools. The procedure was hard, but it is doable, just buy some extra adhesive and if you can buy an extra back frame
    Back with some feedback. Today I received an email from the service company. They basically are acknowledging the defect and they said they are replacing all the defective parts and soon will be sending back the phone. I'm curious to see when that will be :)

// sent from my tablet //

Same situation with the XPERIA Z. The backplate was coming away from the casing. I think this happened because the processor became too warm for the adhesive and starting coming away from the casing. I never had water damage because of this but water could definitely have come in.

I have a Z1C now and I'm hoping this doesn't happen. You are WELL within your rights to complain, even if it was just to test it.
    it should pop up everytime you disconnect power from the phone. . I don't think the phone actually knows when the flaps are open .. I tried repowering with my power flap off, it didn't warn me .. but when i connect/disconnect microusb it does..