[APP][2.2+][NFC/QR] InstaWifi - Share and connect to wifi networks instantly

Search This thread

meltedxice

Jun 6, 2010
Hi fellow xda-developers,

I am happy to announce my first Android app, InstaWifi. InstaWifi is a new and fun way to connect and share your wifi networks with your friends and family.

I built this with NFC and QR code support. Simply tap on a NFC sticker or scan a QR code to connect to a wifi network instantly. Android Beam is also supported so you can skip the whole NFC sticker part.

Download the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.jessechen.instawifi

For more details, screenshots, and tutorials, check out my website: http://www.instawifi.jessechen.net/

Looking forward to any feedback or comments you guys have. Thanks!

mDroidd

Aug 27, 2011
mappz-development.com
Indeed looking great :)

Am I right someone WITHOUT root can use this to connect with current WiFi?
I suppose so..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Two questions...

1) Does the other person need to have the app as well, or will just any QR scanner app on any Android device work with this?

2) You can probably guess where that question will lead next, if someone has an (ugh!) iPhone or iPad with a QR scanner app, will it be able to automatically connect as well?

Thanks!

meltedxice

Jun 6, 2010

I suppose so..

Yes, root is ONLY used to pre-populate the security type and passwords so that you don't have to manually type it in yourself. It is not required at all in order for it to work otherwise.

Two questions...

1) Does the other person need to have the app as well, or will just any QR scanner app on any Android device work with this?

2) You can probably guess where that question will lead next, if someone has an (ugh!) iPhone or iPad with a QR scanner app, will it be able to automatically connect as well?

Thanks!

1) The other person needs to have the Barcode Scanner app installed (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android). It's the most popular barcode scanner app out there with ~50,000,000 downloads, so most people should have it already.

2) iOS devices can't automatically connect unfortunately due to the limitations of apple's platform (apps cannot control/manipulate wifi). If that ever changes you know I'll be there to write an app that can do it!

RoFu25

Sep 10, 2012
Tested this with my Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100).
But I can't connect to my Wifi via QR-Code. Is there a (known) issue with hidden SSIDs maybe?

The Wifi Settings of the phone tell me the Wifi is "not in range".

I'm on CM10 with Siyah Kernel.

15israellai

Jan 24, 2012
Oxford
An excellent app.
An extremely minor suggestion: not use a square icon but one with a "distinctive silhouette".
Can totally be ignored though

Blazing on my Nexus Prime

meltedxice

Jun 6, 2010
But I can't connect to my Wifi via QR-Code. Is there a (known) issue with hidden SSIDs maybe?

I believe hidden SSIDs have an issue with this. I'll try to see if that can be fixed in the future.

An excellent app.
An extremely minor suggestion: not use a square icon but one with a "distinctive silhouette".

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep that thought in mind.

Reactions: RoFu25

He4dShOt

Jul 25, 2010
Hi, I have a Galaxy Nexus with CM10 and InstaWifi is no longer populating the password field.

Code:
D/su      (20451): 10080 net.jessechen.instawifi executing 0 /system/bin/sh using shell /system/bin/sh : sh
I/k       (20159): sudo made me a sandwich
I/k       (20159): no root access, returning null password value

memine

Jun 12, 2009

As I don't have NFC can the QR code be saved so it can be opened in gallery later, rather than having to launch InstaWiFi again?

You might also want to add cancel to the popup that asks to connect to WiFi. I opened in error and had to turn on WiFi before I could exit out of InstaWiFi.

Just my .02 cents.

Imranhakro

Mar 20, 2013
Karachi, Pakistan
Nice Idea, but Useless...

Its a nice idea though. But its a useless and impractical idea.

I think verbally spelling out the wifi password to the guests/friends is easier, time saving and hassle free because everyone has at least mouth & ears to communicate password.

Everyone doesn't have that app,
Everyone doesn't have Android,
Everyone doesn't have QR code reader/Barcode reader,
Everyone doesn't have NFC or beam

and to avoid all the hussles and frustration of not getting it through.... just communicate the password verbally... It just takes a moment to say a password rather than bieng in this hassle :D

AngSanley

Apr 21, 2012
Medan, Indonesia

I think verbally spelling out the wifi password to the guests/friends is easier, time saving and hassle free because everyone has at least mouth & ears to communicate password.

and to avoid all the hussles and frustration of not getting it through.... just communicate the password verbally... It just takes a moment to say a password rather than bieng in this hassle :D
let me correct your grammar (or typo?):

Not everyone have that app,
Not everyone have Android,
Not everyone have QR code reader/Barcode reader,
Not everyone have NFC or beam

Let me answer some of your questions:
- "Not everyone have Android." are u kidding me dude? You are here, the Android community! other OS are not talked here, they talked in other section!
- "Not everyone have QR code reader/Barcode reader," Yeah, you can always download it from Play Store
- "spelling out the wifi password to the guests/friends is easier." How do u can spell if the password is XdAiSTHEbest!ILOVExda#11@$

Rajnus

Sep 6, 2008
Nobody answered pretty straight forward question. Does the receiver needs to have the InstaWifi app?
If yes, petty because it is easier to pass the password old fashion way.
If not, great app, especially for bars or public places...

f.us

Feb 8, 2013
Nobody answered pretty straight forward question. Does the receiver needs to have the InstaWifi app?

Short answer: no.

According to the xda video on InstaWifi the recipient/receiver just needs to scan the QR-Code or a NFC capable smartphone.

Edit:
Apparently it is not as a simple/short answer as a 'no'. Sorry, my bad. The OP explained it in the post below.
Thx for the clarification.

Last edited:

meltedxice

Jun 6, 2010

Yeah, I understand that this can be a bit confusing. I'll try to break it down as simple as I can:

NFC:
1) Receiver must have the app installed, Android does not have native support to connect to a wifi network instantly, an app (which in this case, InstaWifi) needs to handle the incoming NFC data and connect to wifi for you.
2) If the receiver does not have the app installed, tapping the NFC sticker automatically takes you to the play store to download InstaWifi. Once it's downloaded, tap the sticker again and you should be good to go (hopefully less than 20 seconds for the whole ordeal, which can still be faster than typing out a super long password).

QR:
1) Receiver does not have to have InstaWifi installed. Reciever needs to have the Barcode Scanner app installed for it to work.

Hope that clarifies some things.

Imranhakro

Mar 20, 2013
Karachi, Pakistan

- "Not everyone have Android." are u kidding me dude? You are here, the Android community! other OS are not talked here, they talked in other section!
- "Not everyone have QR code reader/Barcode reader," Yeah, you can always download it from Play Store
- "spelling out the wifi password to the guests/friends is easier." How do u can spell if the password is XdAiSTHEbest!ILOVExda#11@$

Thanks for the grammar correction bro...:cool:

Now let me get back to your replies:

"are u kidding me dude? You are here, the Android community! other OS are not talked here, they talked in other section!":
Agreed.... But I meant to say that everyone visiting my place and asking for wifi password do not need to belong to Android community. do u understand that now?

"Not everyone have QR code reader/Barcode reader," Yeah, you can always download it from Play Store:

Let me put it this way....

Friend: whats your wifi password?
Me: you can scan the QR code for that dear.

Friend: but i dont have the QR Code reader :confused:
Me: Oh! AngSanley said you can always download it from Play store :angel:

Friend: But how can i download it from the Play store unless you don't tell me the password to connect to internet through wifi?:confused:
Me: Thats not my business :laugh: :cowboy:\

"spelling out the wifi password to the guests/friends is easier." How do u can spell if the password is XdAiSTHEbest!ILOVExda#11@$:

Friend: Ok F**k it, just spell out your wifi password.
Me: XdAiSTHEbest!ILOVExda#11@$

Friend: Whaatttttt?????????? who keeps such complicated passwords?
Me: The ones who are fond of using Instawifi app anyway :)

Friend: Get a life dude! You are complicated...
Me: :eek:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi fellow xda-developers,

I am happy to announce my first Android app, InstaWifi. InstaWifi is a new and fun way to connect and share your wifi networks with your friends and family.

I built this with NFC and QR code support. Simply tap on a NFC sticker or scan a QR code to connect to a wifi network instantly. Android Beam is also supported so you can skip the whole NFC sticker part.

Download the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.jessechen.instawifi

For more details, screenshots, and tutorials, check out my website: http://www.instawifi.jessechen.net/

I suppose so..

Yes, root is ONLY used to pre-populate the security type and passwords so that you don't have to manually type it in yourself. It is not required at all in order for it to work otherwise.

Two questions...

Thanks!

1) The other person needs to have the Barcode Scanner app installed (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android). It's the most popular barcode scanner app out there with ~50,000,000 downloads, so most people should have it already.

2) iOS devices can't automatically connect unfortunately due to the limitations of apple's platform (apps cannot control/manipulate wifi). If that ever changes you know I'll be there to write an app that can do it!

I believe hidden SSIDs have an issue with this. I'll try to see if that can be fixed in the future.

An excellent app.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep that thought in mind.
    kool concept Loving app :p
    But what if someone wants to use wifi and already at your house and has neither Data plan or QR reader or this app lol