[APP] AdFree by Bigtincan - adblock app

342 posts
Thanks Meter: 153

By no14me, Senior Member on 4th April 2013, 08:15 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th July 2014, 05:22 AM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
How did I miss that?! Thanks, it's great! Buh-bye Bigtincan.
11th September 2014, 09:23 PM |#52  

More
All Permissions??
The latest version of AdFree is asking for all permissions. Has anyone done the upgrade? Any idea why it needs all?
11th September 2014, 09:26 PM |#53  

More
I noticed the same thing, uninstalled, and switched to AdAway. See the link a couple of posts back.
11th September 2014, 09:53 PM |#54  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh

I noticed the same thing, uninstalled, and switched to AdAway. See the link a couple of posts back.

Adaway wants full permissions as well. Picked up version 2.9.1 from: XDA thread 2190753

Whats the deal here?
11th September 2014, 10:16 PM |#55  
Recognized Contributor
Flag IDK
Thanks Meter: 15,794

More
If any of you are running AOSP Roms - You probably have Privacy Guard - And you can block the permissions - Also App Ops can further restrict access for ad blockers

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
http://slimroms.net/index.php/faqand...ean/120-kitkat
11th September 2014, 10:19 PM |#56  
Thanks Meter: 1,629

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstsage

Adaway wants full permissions as well. Picked up version 2.9.1 from: XDA thread 2190753

Whats the deal here?

AdAway App Info:

-modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
-read the contents of your USB storage
-full permissions to all device features and storage
-full network access
-view network connections
-run at startup
-prevent phone from sleeping

Is there something in the list that shouldn't be there for the level of work the App performs?

The source code is available and the developer has a good community rep.

Some of this could be just Android actually listing what programs do, or the developer complying with Android guidelines. I doubt that anything new has been added.
The Following User Says Thank You to androcraze For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift androcraze Ad-Free
11th September 2014, 10:37 PM |#57  
Thanks Meter: 3,981

More
Come on guys. You need to understand that all root enabled apps have full unrestricted access to your device and always have. It's just that responsible devs declare the permission so you can see it when installing.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
15th September 2014, 07:42 PM |#58  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by androcraze

AdAway App Info:

-modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
-read the contents of your USB storage
-full permissions to all device features and storage
-full network access
-view network connections
-run at startup
-prevent phone from sleeping

Is there something in the list that shouldn't be there for the level of work the App performs?

The source code is available and the developer has a good community rep.

Some of this could be just Android actually listing what programs do, or the developer complying with Android guidelines. I doubt that anything new has been added.

I am asking why it needs full permissions to all device features and storage.
From what I would expect its just updating the host file to point any DNS names in the list to a non existent address, like itself. Is there something more that it is doing?
I don't doubt the dev has a good community rep, just would like to know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvortex

Come on guys. You need to understand that all root enabled apps have full unrestricted access to your device and always have. It's just that responsible devs declare the permission so you can see it when installing.

So what I understand you to say is that lots of dev's out there are being deceptive about the permissions their apps need to do their functions?
Titainum Back, System App remover, SuperSU are a couple that come to mind that state they need very specific permissions, but not Full Permissions to everything.
15th September 2014, 08:39 PM |#59  
Thanks Meter: 3,981

More
Quote:

From what I would expect its just updating the host file to point any DNS names in the list to a non existent address, like itself. Is there something more that it is doing?

So what I understand you to say is that lots of dev's out there are being deceptive about the permissions their apps need to do their functions?
Titainum Back, System App remover, SuperSU are a couple that come to mind that state they need very specific permissions, but not Full Permissions to everything.

This app (and AdAway) need to modify a system file (hosts). Superuser (SU) permissions are needed to do so.

SU = full access to everything on your device. The app can do literally anything without your permission and/or knowledge. This has always been the case with any app that uses SU.

In more recent times, the ACCESS_SUPERUSER permission was created, so apps that use SU will declare as such (Ti Backup and SuperSU do declare the permission FYI). Apps that call SU, but don't declare the permission can be blocked from superuser access in the SuperSU settings.

To sum up; AdFree has always had permission to do whatever it wanted. It's just declaring the fact now. It's up to you if you continue to trust the dev with those permissions.

As it seems that your device is rooted, but you don't seem to understand the implications of that or of allowing superuser access to apps, I can only suggest you do some reading on the subject.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingvortex For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kingvortex Ad-Free
15th September 2014, 09:19 PM |#60  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvortex

This app (and AdAway) need to modify a system file (hosts). Superuser (SU) permissions are needed to do so.

SU = full access to everything on your device. The app can do literally anything without your permission and/or knowledge. This has always been the case with any app that uses SU.

In more recent times, the ACCESS_SUPERUSER permission was created, so apps that use SU will declare as such (Ti Backup and SuperSU do declare the permission FYI). Apps that call SU, but don't declare the permission can be blocked from superuser access in the SuperSU settings.

To sum up; AdFree has always had permission to do whatever it wanted. It's just declaring the fact now. It's up to you if you continue to trust the dev with those permissions.

As it seems that your device is rooted, but you don't seem to understand the implications of that or of allowing superuser access to apps, I can only suggest you do some reading on the subject.

Just trying to understand the point you were trying to make. Thanks for the explanation.
15th September 2014, 09:41 PM |#61  
Thanks Meter: 1,629

More
Quote:

Don't know. I'm guessing that if most or all of the ad-blockers exibit this behavior, then it's needed. If you want something a little cleaner, try:

http://direct.xda-developers.com/sho...php?p=32276021

It doesn't update itself (you get to do it manually). It's just a hosts file (text) and nothing more.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adblock, adfree, bigtincan

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)