FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TOOLS][ZIPS][SCRIPTS] osm0sis' Odds and Ends [Multiple Devices/Platforms]

13,597 posts
Thanks Meter: 29,911

By osm0sis, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 18th April 2013, 12:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th March 2019, 10:14 AM |#2301  
Flag Dublin 1
Thanks Meter: 265

More
Hi all,

I'm just wondering is the "renice" command for apps outdated?

I remember using it years ago and it did make a huge difference to the app that had been reniced.

Thanks.

12th March 2019, 10:30 AM |#2302  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoedge

Hi all,

I'm just wondering is the "renice" command for apps outdated?

I remember using it years ago and it did make a huge difference to the app that had been reniced.

Thanks.

Yeah we used to use it on the launcher on the Galaxy Nexus back on KitKat. I'm not sure if it would work the same on Pie, or if it would even make a tangible difference on a modern phone that actually has some horsepower. Feel free to try and report back.
The Following User Says Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th March 2019, 10:52 AM |#2303  
Flag Dublin 1
Thanks Meter: 265

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

Yeah we used to use it on the launcher on the Galaxy Nexus back on KitKat. I'm not sure if it would work the same on Pie, or if it would make a tangible difference on a modern phone that actually has some horsepower. Feel free to try and report back.

Thanks mate,

I used to have an app that I could use to renice an app but I can not remember the name of it...I even forget the command to use lol lol
12th March 2019, 11:46 AM |#2304  
Thanks Meter: 324

More
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgsdg123

Have you checked this?.. May be of help.

Literally the reason I credited you in the release post.

Quote:

Not sure what to make of that.. some of it is just plain wrong and would generate an invalid config (e.g. setting things =n)..

Invalid?.. How?

Quote:

Edit: I really don't think this makes much sense either:

Quote:

"Range of supported Unicode characters", enter: "0". (CONFIG_LAST_SUPPORTED_WCHAR=0)

Edit 2: Only supporting info I've found on it: https://forum.qt.io/topic/83001/unic...ect-encoding/8

Have you checked the Config files ("Config.in", "Config.src") in busybox source?..
Attached Files
File Type: 7z Config.7z - [Click for QR Code] (17.2 KB, 22 views)
12th March 2019, 01:06 PM |#2305  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoedge

I used to have an app that I could use to renice an app but I can not remember the name of it...I even forget the command to use lol lol

Give a search through the old init.d files in my OPs here, or maybe in the GitHub for DirtyV kernel's ramdisk/AK2 and you should be able to turn it up.

Quote:

Invalid?.. How?

Have you checked the Config files ("Config.in", "Config.src") in busybox source?..

Invalid since busybox configs use

CONFIG_NAME=y
or
# CONFIG_NAME is not set

So CONFIG_NAME=n like you have it is not a thing in a normal config.

Quickly searching Google while at work at the time I did not check those files, no. My point was WCHAR=0 has very few hits so it wasn't initially clear what it did. As my edit shows I did find information supporting your proposed Unicode setup and added it in the commit which is now included in the latest builds.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2019, 03:49 AM |#2306  

More
Quote:

Invalid since busybox configs use

CONFIG_NAME=y
or
# CONFIG_NAME is not set

So CONFIG_NAME=n like you have it is not a thing in a normal config.

The legacy way of specifying parameters... and it does work.

"# CONFIG_NAME is not set" style exists for taking advantage of syntax highlight. (syntactically those 2 have different meaning but due to the way it's implemented... the difference can be hardly observed)

Quote:

Quickly searching Google while at work at the time I did not check those files, no. My point was WCHAR=0 has very few hits so it wasn't initially clear what it did. As my edit shows I did find information supporting your proposed Unicode setup and added it in the commit which is now included in the latest builds.

The main reason you found almost nothing on Google is likely due to those things already included in the source...
13th March 2019, 05:20 AM |#2307  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

The legacy way of specifying parameters... and it does work.

"# CONFIG_NAME is not set" style exists for taking advantage of syntax highlight. (syntactically those 2 have different meaning but due to the way it's implemented... the difference can be hardly observed)

The main reason you found almost nothing on Google is likely due to those things already included in the source...

Good to know it still accepts that without triggering a reconfig. I wasn't aware that was busybox's legacy method for disabled options since that preceded my involvement.

The outcome of WCHARS=0 didn't readily present itself to me in the source either if I recall correctly, but cool, thanks for coming out man. I gave you credit for finding the proper way to enable Unicode in busybox builds as a courtesy since you translated it from the Chinese you found it in, is there something else you need?
The Following User Says Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2019, 05:52 AM |#2308  

More
Quote:

The outcome of WCHARS=0 didn't readily present itself to me in the source either if I recall correctly, but cool, thanks for coming out man.

The Config files ('busybox-1.30.1/libbb/Config.src', line: 229-257).

Quote:

I gave you credit for finding the proper way to enable Unicode in busybox builds as a courtesy since you translated it from the Chinese you found it in, is there something else you need?

Nothing

Doing so helps both us.
13th March 2019, 07:25 AM |#2309  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Can i use this on s8+ SM-G955U Verizon USA
13th March 2019, 11:47 AM |#2310  
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumptDickins

Can i use this on s8+ SM-G955U Verizon USA

Depends what you want to use...

Sent from my MotoG3 using XDA Labs
14th March 2019, 05:25 PM |#2311  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
With the 'ADB and Fastboot for Android NDK' installed via Magisk.

Is it possible to adb from phone terminal to firetv for sideloading apk? Tried the usual commands from pc, but Im either getting 'connection refused' or 'no route to host'.

Tried with and without ADB debugging enabled in developer options, same wifi network.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
automation, batch, flashable zip, script, tool

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)