Encoding MKV Files for Playback

Search This thread

godsafk

Apr 15, 2010
Apple Valley, CA
Hello Everyone,

After much testing/researching, I have finally found the best solution to encode .MKV files to .MP4 for flawless playback on the HD2 using MediaCoder. I have tried many of the other methods and settings provided by others on this forum and many of them were good, but simply took too long or sometimes caused choppy playback on the HD2.

UPDATE 9/6/10

Thanks to everyone who has helped out with new settings and testing out encoding methods in this thread and the entire forum. I have recently had major issues with encoding certain videos in H.264 resulting in audio sync issues, frames, and artifacts. Doing some more testing and help from forum members, I will be updating the settings to what I have been using recently and having absolutely no issues with even on 1080P files. Just remember to use Windows Media Player, it provides the best playback for these encodes!

MediaCoder Settings:

Format: H.264 ( If Possible use CUDA Encoder, much faster!)
Mode: Average bitrate @ 1500Kbps
Audio encoder: FAAC
Audio Format: LC-AAC
Audio container: AAC
Audio mode: Average bitrate @128Kbps
Container: MP4
Resize: 800x480
Effects: Filter by Encoder
Aspect ratio: Keep Display AR

With these settings I have tested 12 different files ranging from 500MB-1.8GB in size(720p quality) and the largest took 34 minutes on my dual core CPU (intel i5). First tried playing the files with HTC Album player and CorePlayer and the results weren't very good and they included a lot of choppiness. After reading some others success with WMP, I decided to give it a shot and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it played the .MP4 files beautifully and without a single hiccup.

Some of you may already have solutions for encoding videos for playback on the HD2, but I have found these settings to be perfect for anyone who wants to encode HD .MKV files.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to finding the best method of converting/encoding files for playback, but I can honestly say these settings will give you amazing quality and smooth playback, even in the most intense action scenes. Give it a try! :cool:

Last edited:

2Rude

Jan 20, 2009
Wow, tried many of different settings and this one has worked the best for me so far! Sticky this!

htpw16

Apr 19, 2010
Great find. One question though, I have been using XenonMKV to package my MKV files to MP4 and it never takes longer than 10 minutes to do and the videos work flawlessly on my XBOX 360. Haven't tried it on an HD2 since I haven't got one yet. Do the MKV files have to be re-encoded to work on the HD2 or can they simply be repackaged into an MP4 as XenonMKV does?

lbhocky19

Feb 18, 2007
Great find. One question though, I have been using XenonMKV to package my MKV files to MP4 and it never takes longer than 10 minutes to do and the videos work flawlessly on my XBOX 360. Haven't tried it on an HD2 since I haven't got one yet. Do the MKV files have to be re-encoded to work on the HD2 or can they simply be repackaged into an MP4 as XenonMKV does?

one reason ud wana change them up is to lower the resolution and bitrate since you dont need it so high on the smaller screen and it uses less battery

lbhocky19

Feb 18, 2007
i dont have the option for 800x450 does that just depend on the original aspect of the video? its lost so should be 16x9

i dont have the option for 800x450 does that just depend on the original aspect of the video? its lost so should be 16x9

You probably meant to say "16:9" which is the aspect ratio. Also, check for 800x400, it should be there.

Depending on your encoder, you might want to see about removing the black bars that are so prevalent on TV shows crammed onto DVDs. The black bars not only take up precious screen space, but they cause the decoder to render them, which is CPU-intensive. Also they cost you in battery life since black is the most expensive color rendering for our screens.

SnakePool

Apr 16, 2010
I've tried these settings 3 times on .avi and .mkv amd I either get an unreadable file or sound but no video. the HD2 WILL NOT play ANy of my .avi files and it lso doesn't play some .mp4.

N1M1TZ

Dec 9, 2009
Martinez, CA
I have tried .mkv files and yes, some of them fail when I try to play them. I kept the same settings from the first post and only changed: Aspect Ratio = Keep Pixel AR.

godsafk

Apr 15, 2010
Apple Valley, CA

Re-encoding the MKV files seems to be the better choice for size and smoothness of playback. At the native bitrate of 3000+Kbps playback is choppy for me even when using WMP. Not only will lowering the bitrate provide smoother playback, but it will lower the file size. The videos I encode are around 500MB average, and when encoding is finished they are no larger than 250MB, which helps a lot since I only have a 16GB memory card.

N1M1TZ

Dec 9, 2009
Martinez, CA
Using MediaCoder 0.7.3.4625 x64. On my PC I have no problems playing the .MP4. The only issue I get is when I transfer the file to the phone, and try playing it on the phone. I hear audio but no video, but after changing the Aspect Ratio that seem to have fixed my issue.

godsafk

Apr 15, 2010
Apple Valley, CA
Using MediaCoder 0.7.3.4625 x64. On my PC I have no problems playing the .MP4. The only issue I get is when I transfer the file to the phone, and try playing it on the phone. I hear audio but no video, but after changing the Aspect Ratio that seem to have fixed my issue.

Glad to hear things are working fine for you. If you don't mind me asking, how's the playback, and what player are you using?

medrison

Apr 25, 2010
Re-encoding the MKV files seems to be the better choice for size and smoothness of playback. At the native bitrate of 3000+Kbps playback is choppy for me even when using WMP. Not only will lowering the bitrate provide smoother playback, but it will lower the file size. The videos I encode are around 500MB average, and when encoding is finished they are no larger than 250MB, which helps a lot since I only have a 16GB memory card.

Wait....250MB...I end up with 1Gb/movie with your settings.
May I ask if you are sure you wanted 800/450 px and not 800/480?

Thank you,
Mike

Top Liked Posts