[Q] cleanrom on 10.1 device?

Search This thread

jdwhiskeyjack

Apr 19, 2014
Did a search and didn't see anything that seemed overly relevant, so giving up and starting a thread

I got a 10.1 (SM-T520) earlier this week to serve as my personal travel computer (since my company is tightening up restrictions and monitoring on work laptops). I want to root it and get rid of all the crapware, but was busy hunting for an easy way to do that since I haven't done a root/custom ROM previously. I did find the list of bloatware apps to remove in another thread, but the ROM seemed like a faster/cleaner option, plus it would let me learn more.

I found the CleanRom option by scrosler, which seemed pretty ideal, was going to pair with a Nova Launcher. However in reading the thread it was noted here that 10.1 devices weren't supported. However this post seems to contradict that. Is there a definitive answer on whether it will work or not. I'll go try it if it's likely to work, just don't want to brick the thing.

Thanks in advance.

dknotty

May 29, 2011
Shame there are no roms for the 10.1... I'm really keen to root my 10.1 and have a slimmed down Android experience.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

smalis

Sep 3, 2010
Shame there are no roms for the 10.1... I'm really keen to root my 10.1 and have a slimmed down Android experience.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Root and freeze/uninstall bloatware with Titanium Backup. Install Nova to replace TouchWiz. Tablet flies with stock ROM. Then patiently wait for custom ROMs, which will no doubt appear eventually.

jonlad1

May 11, 2010
Did a search and didn't see anything that seemed overly relevant, so giving up and starting a thread

I got a 10.1 (SM-T520) earlier this week to serve as my personal travel computer (since my company is tightening up restrictions and monitoring on work laptops). I want to root it and get rid of all the crapware, but was busy hunting for an easy way to do that since I haven't done a root/custom ROM previously. I did find the list of bloatware apps to remove in another thread, but the ROM seemed like a faster/cleaner option, plus it would let me learn more.

I found the CleanRom option by scrosler, which seemed pretty ideal, was going to pair with a Nova Launcher. However in reading the thread it was noted here that 10.1 devices weren't supported. However this post seems to contradict that. Is there a definitive answer on whether it will work or not. I'll go try it if it's likely to work, just don't want to brick the thing.

Thanks in advance.

I believe Scrosler has already advised CleanRom isnt supported for the 10.1

That being said, I would happily put money towards a rom bounty or similar to "persuade" him to support the 10.1 ;)

netscorer

Mar 1, 2011
I believe Scrosler has already advised CleanRom isnt supported for the 10.1

That being said, I would happily put money towards a rom bounty or similar to "persuade" him to support the 10.1 ;)

Given that 8.4 and 10.1 don't even share CPU architecture, I doubt any 8.4 ROM would be adapted to support 10.1 devices. XDA bunched together very different tablets into the same forum and everyone is confused as the result. I've got bunch of 'helpful' advices from 8.4 owners who dominate these forums.

jonlad1

May 11, 2010
Given that 8.4 and 10.1 don't even share CPU architecture, I doubt any 8.4 ROM would be adapted to support 10.1 devices. XDA bunched together very different tablets into the same forum and everyone is confused as the result. I've got bunch of 'helpful' advices from 8.4 owners who dominate these forums.

I meant persuade him to develop a specific rom for the 10.1, not add 10.1 support in the 8.4 rom he's already developed.

If we can get a bounty together, he might consider it if he has time/inclination.