Galaxy Tab 2 (7") announced running ICS

Search This thread

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Am I the only one that thinks this is strange? They introduced the "7 Plus" with upgraded h/w (1.2GHz Exynos) and HC and now they're introducing what's basically the original 7" with nothing new but ICS? If the specs are correct the 1GHz chip is probably the now ancient Teg2. The only h/w difference appears to be 1MB of RAM instead of 512K. So what's their strategy? Introduce ICS via newly named devices? Will there be a Tab 10.1 "2" that has ICS? What would that mean to the existing Tab 10.1 "1?" If they tie ICS to launching second versions of their existing devices, even if they intend to upgrade the originals, we'll be waiting an awfully long time. To me, this isn't good news until we know how it affects getting ICS on existing products.

theROMinator

Nov 23, 2010
That makes sense, I acknowledge your concern but we could always use the system dump from the new tab ,especially if it has the same hw, although it may need some scaling

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Stuckinabox

Dec 6, 2011
I don't understand why you'd put a three megapixel camera on a tablet when most phones have 8.

akarol

Jun 16, 2010
Orlando
I don't understand why you'd put a three megapixel camera on a tablet when most phones have 8.

Most phones are also much thicker than the tablets are. It's a form-factor limitation. When it comes to camera, it is mostly all about the optics. It'll get there as the processors behind these cameras keep getting faster, better, smaller. But until then, you need to rely on the glass and space between them.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I think this is gonna be a budget price model

Not so much...

Revealing what it says are the "official" prices across several countries in Europe, blogging site Samsung Hub found that the price in U.S. dollars for the Wi-Fi-only version ranged from $419 to $450, while the cost of the Wi-Fi+3G version varied from $523 to $568.

Here's an article that, like me, questions why it exists at all...

http://gizmodo.com/5884606/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-why-do-you-exist

t1mman

Oct 8, 2008
So, basicaly, you'd get the same "hardware" than the Tab 10.1 but with a 7" screen...

danielsf

Oct 29, 2010
Hull
I have been looking at videos of this tab, and scrolling through home screens in portrait packed full of widgets looks flawlessly smooth. I really hope we get that new touchwiz launcher. :)

Edit: I have the galaxy s2, and I have been running the an ICS leak of the last few weeks, Samsung has updated the touch-wiz launcher a lot for ICS, and it looks a lot like the launcher on this new tab. So if they will update the s2 to this new launcher style, hopefully they will do the same for our tab, as this new touchwiz launcher looks smooth and very nice. If it is as smooth on our tab as it is on this new 7inch, it will make all my tabby dreams come true :D

To the OP; I think this thread is a good idea, thank you. But just as constructive criticism :), you really should have sated more about what you meant this thread to be about in your first post :)

Last edited:
Reactions: theROMinator

Top Liked Posts