FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APPS] CSipSimple brings MagicJack to Android

482 posts
Thanks Meter: 152

By arcadia2uk, Senior Member on 15th September 2010, 03:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I can take no credit for this, since my sole contribution is to report it on xdadevelopers, and to have tried that it actually work.

The major breakthrough to make this happen was the developers of MJMD5; DTM, Stewart, netdata, az1234 and teddy_b that resides/ed on magicjacksupport.
read more about the code here, notably pages 3- 7: MJMD5 concept and coding.

The original softphone code is by Regis Montoya, alias r3gis.3R, and his crew: CSipSimple
It has been modified to support MagicJack in collaboration with Spider210: CSipSimpleMJMD5

r3gis made the following remark:
Quote:

Magic Jack authentication method is now integrated to the trunk of the android port of pjsip. As consequence all future release of CSipSimple will include the Magic Jack feature

CSipSimple now also have 4G support. Current release is 0.00-13-07, you can find the latest developers build here: d/l latest rev.
The concept has been tested both on 2.2 and 2.1.

The easiest way to obtain your MJ Sip credentials is:
MagicSipac, by kiler129 based on genexweb and stroths work
a variation made by Michael LaSalvia, alias genxweb, based on initial work by stroths is MJSIP - updated method 10/22/2010
for more detailed info of how to use this, see MJSIP details

And, if you like the product, don't be shy. Support the developers Donate!

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to attach the files, why you have to go and get them yourselves in the links above

Good Luck,
arc

9th October 2010, 10:09 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
THIS IS AN AWESOME ARTICLE!!!

thanks to the devs and this poster for getting this info and app out!!!

i dont think alot of people understand what it does....YET.

skype charges i think $30.00 for your online number and $2.99mo for unlimited calls/recieve to usa and canada.....$3.00 * 12months = $36.00 + $30.00 for online number - $66.00

with this app you go buy MagicJack at walmart for $19.99 and you get your online number and 12months call/recieve to usa and canada.

ONE more thing....you can take your cellphone with you and use it on ANY open WIFI
Magicjack DONGLE = you have to have a pc.

cant beat that....but the app it self is having call problems with my evo over wifi.

if my screen goes dark the call starts breaking up real bad...dont know why it does....prob just a bug.
also when i am connected and i keep tapping my screen to keep it awake (and stay in call) the call loudness/quality isnt that great....not sure why.
i am over wifi so i should be able to pick good settings in the menu but not really sure what i need to pick

if someone could tell me what to put in that app to improve the loudness when on speaker phone and off speaker phone i would appreciate it.

thanks again to the devs and this poster for putting the info out.
this really should be a sticky i think as its cheaper then anything out there if you "do not have cell service"
great for ppl with wifi only.
9th October 2010, 10:20 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
What's a magicjack?

Sent from my Evo 4g using Tapatalk
10th October 2010, 10:24 AM |#4  
Flag Northern CA
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroths

What's a magicjack?

Sent from my Evo 4g using Tapatalk

http://www.magicjack.com/5/index.asp

I had magicjack for two years. Worked great. I would sign up again if magicjack works on Android.
10th October 2010, 10:41 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
It does work on android. I use it in conjunction with google voice to allow me to sill receive calls when I don't have any cell signal but do have wifi.

All I had to do was add my magic jack number as a forwarding option in google voice. Then when I am somewhere without cell service, I connect to wifi, bring up the google voice setup web page and check the check box to enable forwarding to the mj number. So when someone calls my normal number.... No signal... Straight to google voice... Rings my magic jack number... Rings on my wifi connected android phone.
11th October 2010, 06:57 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburris

It does work on android. I use it in conjunction with google voice to allow me to sill receive calls when I don't have any cell signal but do have wifi.

All I had to do was add my magic jack number as a forwarding option in google voice. Then when I am somewhere without cell service, I connect to wifi, bring up the google voice setup web page and check the check box to enable forwarding to the mj number. So when someone calls my normal number.... No signal... Straight to google voice... Rings my magic jack number... Rings on my wifi connected android phone.

i not sure i get what you are saying?

why dont you just use mj the way it is being done here already?
you dont need GV do you?

if someone calls my mj number it will ring on my phone and i can answer it.
i can also make calls.

the call quality is just horrible for me though
at least on my evo

i really wish someone could make a guide showing which settings produce the best quality conversation
The Following User Says Thank You to m16-maniac For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift m16-maniac Ad-Free
12th October 2010, 10:17 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m16-maniac

i not sure i get what you are saying?

why dont you just use mj the way it is being done here already?
you dont need GV do you?

if someone calls my mj number it will ring on my phone and i can answer it.
i can also make calls.

the call quality is just horrible for me though
at least on my evo

i really wish someone could make a guide showing which settings produce the best quality conversation

I'm sharing my non-standard use of Magic Jack so that others who hate it when they go onsite (or whereever - maybe overseas at a resort with wifi) and don't have cell service but still want to make and receive calls.
13th October 2010, 08:24 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburris

i dont understand the part with GV.

the only advantage i can see if that they dont have to call your original mj number.
GV just forwards its number to the MJ number...i think

you dont have to actually use GV though....the people who call you can just have the original MJ number and you can receive calls on your cellphone when they call that number.
13th October 2010, 08:40 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 152

More
With CSipSimple you no longer need to link it up with GV.
As long as you have you MagicJack Sip credentials, you can use CSipSimple, and now also aSip, to make and receive USA/Canada calls w/o any extra charges, as long as your phone has some type of data connection, 3G/4G or WiFi.
Normally, you need to hook up the MagicJack dongle to a Computers USB port.
13th October 2010, 10:12 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo1

http://www.magicjack.com/5/index.asp

I had magicjack for two years. Worked great. I would sign up again if magicjack works on Android.

+1 in a heartbeat
13th October 2010, 11:54 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hey I'm having troubles setting this up. I installed the APK package onto my Droid 1 (verizon) running Android OS 2.2. After entering the username, password and server (with and without a specific port) it says "Register Failed - Check your Configuration". I have tried different combinations of making new advanced config accounts within CSIPSimple to no avail.
edit-- Also getting 'unauthorized' error

Force closing is a common occurrence while tinkering with the settings. What am I doing wrong? Is there a guide on how to set this up by chance? I'm new to the world of SIP/Softphones/VoIP & such so its a bit tedious at the moment. Also, is a microSD card required to use this?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
magicjack, sip, sip softphone, sip voip

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)