[T-Mobile] Restore Stock Preloaded Data after rooting.

Search This thread

Fenny

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 28, 2007
F(x)tec Pro1-X
Google Pixel 6 Pro
This archive contains the missing apks and stickers that are lost when using the HTC Dev unlock tool.

You can install the apks inside manually, but the png files must be placed into /data/preload/ in order for the gallery app to find them.

Instructions for re-installation. (Busybox must be installed)

Code:
adb push preload.tgz /sdcard/
adb shell
su
cd /data/
tar -xvf /sdcard/preload.tgz
chown root:root /data/preload
chmod 771 /data/preload
chmod 644 /data/preload/*
pm install /data/preload/Flashlight.apk
pm install /data/preload/Calculator.apk
reboot

Download here: http://www.cheatersedge.org/android/m8/preload.tgz

MeatyCoins

Aug 7, 2007
Hey I know this is not specifically related but everytime I remove an app via TB they come back upon reboot (T-Mobile Tv, Lookout, etc etc)

How do I stop them from coming back (delete for good)? Thanks

johnomaz

Oct 28, 2010
Weird, I'm HTCdev unlocked but I still have the flashlight app but calculator is gone. Weird.

ghettovirtuoso

Apr 19, 2010
Boston
This archive contains the missing apks and stickers that are lost when using the HTC Dev unlock tool.

You can install the apks inside manually, but the png files must be placed into /data/preload/ in order for the gallery app to find them.

Code:
adb shell
su
cd /data/
chmod 771 /data/preload
reboot

How would I go about executing these commands? I have tried a command prompt with the phone powered into the OS and with it in fastboot but continue to get device not recognized. Could I place the file on my phone and use terminal emulator?

ghettovirtuoso

Apr 19, 2010
Boston
How would I go about executing these commands? I have tried a command prompt with the phone powered into the OS and with it in fastboot but continue to get device not recognized. Could I place the file on my phone and use terminal emulator?

Problem fixed! I needed to update my adb tools, was working with outdate ones because they did everything I needed until now.

fclifton

Apr 14, 2008
Minneapolis
I tried the commands, but the tar command doesn't seem to work. Do I have to install something to make tar work?

I used Root Explorer to extract the files, then moved them to /data/preload, then changed the permissions using adb. I think I got it correct. How can I tell if the stickers are installed correctly? What uses them? I saw a comment about the gallery but I can't see where that uses them?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ghettovirtuoso

Apr 19, 2010
Boston
I tried the commands, but the tar command doesn't seem to work. Do I have to install something to make tar work?

I used Root Explorer to extract the files, then moved them to /data/preload, then changed the permissions using adb. I think I got it correct. How can I tell if the stickers are installed correctly? What uses them? I saw a comment about the gallery but I can't see where that uses them?

Thanks!

Take a pic and edit it. If you can use the stickers you see in folder and the apps are install then I assume all went well.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

ppgregory

Dec 31, 2010
Couldn't install apps from adb

Everything in the op worked up to the point where I tried to install the Flashlight and Calculator apks. I got the following error-

pkg: /data/preload/Flashlight.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_URI]

I was able to use a file manager to find the apks in the /data/preload/ folder and install them through android.

Is this enough to receive any OTAs? Would I need to convert them to system apps?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    cd /data/
    chmod 771 /data/preload
    reboot

I am uploading a ROM right now that restores these files.
    Wow thanks. Did not even realize it was gone.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    FYI, wiping /data/ with TWRP erases these preloads as well.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk