[Q] Nook Color Root?

Search This thread

devis

Aug 2, 2005
San Francisco
I got the SD card to write just fine but when I try to follow the directions for the rooting portion I get nowhere. When I press/hold the power button for the furst 15 seconds WinXP wants a driver. I can only assume that driver is useful for the rooting procedure to take place.

I think a little clearer explanation is needed in this case. Windows asks for drivers, what do we feed it? I tried the edited ini file with the info above inside the SDK folder, no go.

P.S. Brand new to Android... as you can see from my siggy it's been WM since 05

Last edited:

plink212

Jan 28, 2006
where is that file? I do not see it anywhere??

if your a windows user, try looking in the root of your profile
C:\Documents & Settings\%USERNAME% or c:\Users\%USERNAME%
also make sure you have turned on show hidden files and folders in explorer under tools\Folder options\Show Hidden File and Folders

brazimus

Jun 8, 2010
Richmond, VA
brazism.com
A Big Thanks!

Just wanted to give a quick "thank you" to all the devs who've worked to enable me to install apps on my nook color. This forum is why I bought a nook color on launch day: I knew that the fantastic devs on XDA would have this done in no time.

Thanks for making my nook color awesome.

robnix

Jun 24, 2010
Just wanted to give a quick "thank you" to all the devs who've worked to enable me to install apps on my nook color. This forum is why I bought a nook color on launch day: I knew that the fantastic devs on XDA would have this done in no time.

Thanks for making my nook color awesome.

YES. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

I installed K-9 mail on my nook color. Works GREAT!

robnix

Jun 24, 2010
also - I don't know if anyone knows this, but there's an accelerometer. I moved Asphalt from my Epic over to my nook color and other than it not scaling properly to the screen, it works just fine. Tilt forward to accelerate, side to side to steer.

vmx128

Oct 23, 2008
Launcher Pro/Browser

Hi! First, I'd like to thank Pokey9000 and other contributors for making this possible. I bought my NC a couple of days before launch in anticipation of this day, and thanks to your efforts, that day has arrived!

A couple of questions for those who have rooted and installed apps on their Nook:

1. Have you been able to replace BN's default launcher/desktop with Launcher Pro (or some other launcher) successfully? It would be great to be able to launch apps directly from the desktop instead of going to the "extras" folder. Do the back/menu buttons appear on the bar at the bottom automatically?

2. Can the built in browser be replaced with the one that allows pinch to zoon (Dolphin HD)? If so, does the browser work well? How is the performance compared to the stock browser (which is very sluggish, imho).

Thanks!

bphillips09

Nov 28, 2010
New Orleans
So, I've tried on Windows XP, Windows 7, and Ubuntu, but I get as far as using ADB. Every time, it never finds my nook.

I've installed all the drivers, tried both disk images, inserted the VID, etc. But, ADB can NEVER find my Nook!

Any help is appreciated...

scoutcamper

Jun 29, 2010
So, I've tried on Windows XP, Windows 7, and Ubuntu, but I get as far as using ADB. Every time, it never finds my nook.

I've installed all the drivers, tried both disk images, inserted the VID, etc. But, ADB can NEVER find my Nook!

Any help is appreciated...

need more details, go over exactly what you did, what is the nook doing when you put in sd card, does win7 see a new hardware device etc.

bphillips09

Nov 28, 2010
New Orleans
need more details, go over exactly what you did, what is the nook doing when you put in sd card, does win7 see a new hardware device etc.

Well right now I'm using Windows XP.

I have the image on the SD Card, when I power off my nook, unplug it, put the card in, and plug it in, Windows XP recognizes it, then I take the card out and restart the nook, (i think) the ADB drivers work, then I do the "lsusb" command in linux (when I used linux the first time) and it comes back with the device, but none of the adb commands have any effect.

"adb devices" lists no devices

If I try "adb install Package.apk" it says "error: device not found"

modembug

Feb 9, 2009
anyone having any issues with Dolphin HD running? I get it to run through the wizard, but then i have to skip because it saus i cannot register. After that it will not start...

Roachman3700

Dec 1, 2010
Hello,

First off I have had the nook since the 20th and love it, second thank you to everyone who has been working on rooting this device.

I am having problems and wanted to see if someone could help

Details:
I have created the sd card, I can have the nook boot from it but I am unable to get windows 7 x64 to install the driver when the nook boots off of the device manager shows a cdc composite gadget but when I edit the android_winusb file with the following item it still will not install the driver

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0002
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0002&MI_01

any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

oakleyrdc

Feb 24, 2010
Having trouble installing drivers on windows 7. After plugging in, it tries to find drivers. I tried installing usb drivers from sdk, but it tells me there are not any drivers in the folder. I'm very inexperienced in this. A little help would be greatly appreciated.

jerrygon

Jun 23, 2007
Miramar, FL
I know this is prob a stupid question but I don't know how to add the nook vendor ID to my adb setup. I am on windows 7 64bit and at a command prompt at this directory...C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>

Any help would be appreciated...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMG_8539.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8540.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8541.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8542.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8543.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8544.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8545.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8546.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8547.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8550.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8551.JPG

<br>

ok guys. this is the underside of the board. i took a ton of pictures. i put my NC bac together. still working as it should :)

hope this little contribution helps. im quite excited for android 2.2 on my nook. this device "feels" very well built, and its really the size i want. now we just need a real andoid experience and ill be one happy nook color owner.

let me know if we need any more photos or close ups, i can borrow a macro lens if wee need photos of something really close up
    Nova: Google nookdevs they have a website that has a step by step guide for windows linux and mac that is a product of this monstrous thread and work done apart from xda. I know this thread is a beast.
    [15:47] <[mbm]> ooh .. a reboot later and I have angry birds
    [15:48] <[mbm]> no xml edit needed
    [15:48] <tenequalstwo> I'm jealous....
    [15:48] <[mbm]> and it runs
    oooooooooooooooooooh!
    IMG_8528.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8529.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8530.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8531.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8532.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8533.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8534.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8535.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8536.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8537.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8538.JPG

<br>
    builing an MLO file ?

pokey and i have reached a consensus and im sure occip agrees although i havent spoken with him about it yet. that weve reached an impass at the moment and will have to wait on b&n to release their source code. from what weve found at the moment to do what we plan without source would require us to stumble down a blind maze and hope to find our way through. hopefully with a little patience b&n will release for the nc the way they did for the original nooks where they give full source including bootloaders, and then itll be easy street for us to either create our own roms or port an existing rom i.e. cyanogenmod.

in the meantime, if everybody could continue just testing whatever they can think of, and continue posting any ideas or what you find here or on #nookdevs we can keep this going as quickly and smoothly as it has went so far!

remember every little bit helps even if you think it may be useless we can still try to use it!!

I don't agree completly with you. We can experiment few things and develop some POCs like ... The MLO must fit in the 64k sram of the omap3621. We can do a lot a things within 64k like initialise the musb and send the emmc content through it. I'm working to customize my MLO file (from igep 020 card which is a very good one !) after success I will able to compile the same file for NC. Now my NC is somewhere between Los Angeles and Europe :) I hope to receive it soon ...

Cheers

Occip