[App]: ADB Root Hijack [ADB Runs as Root now]

Search This thread

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Indirect is proud to present you with ADB Hijacker

Note: This modification will remove any custom clrbootcount.sh scripts

Alright, what this application does, is hijacks adb using a root version instead which means from now on, you can do "adb remount" and things like that. This comes with all the needed files within the app and it also extracts them so no worries!

After you run the app once and click that magical button then you can reboot and you will have adb autostart as root so you can even uninstall the app afterwards. As of now, we do not have automount killed. However: I learned that adb stays on even while in usb mode.

Download Link:
Here

Screenshots: Uploading

Last edited:

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Benefits and change log:

Benefits:
Code:
 You can now rerun the rooting script to apply whatever modifications you missed out on
You can now apply any mod using adb instead of file explorer
You can remount your system by just using "adb remount" instead of using a file explorer
Changelog:
Code:
2.0: Included needed files for extract / included busybox installer
1.0: Initial Release

Credits:
Code:
brianf21 for showing me how to extract files from an apk so now you can install directly from the app and nothing else is needed except root.
Nemith for the adb daemon
Myself for the app, hijack method, and testing
puellanivis from IRC for being terrible at communication and also help with a few of the commands

Last edited:
Reactions: rjin9673

bustergonad

Dec 28, 2011
Firstly,

Thanks Indirect, you make my Nook a joy to use. Many thanks also to Albertwertz - your Youtube videos are helping a noob like me get up to speed with this Android experience.

Can't post this in the Developer thread (still under 10 posts) but there seems to be a problem running the nookandzergy.bat file whilst running the ADB Hijacker. I'm getting a dos error:

"Your device was found to be rooted. Which is bothersome. However: I will see if you happen to have the proper modification installed to continue to use this script:"

followed by

"goto was not expected at this time".

Having a quick look at the bat file I can't see where %adbr% is being set to "yes".

Update: After making sure adb hijack was running, I tweaked the batch file, forcing adbr=yes. The script then worked and allowed me to replace the SystemUI.apk to remove the B&N Home button. Not sure how Indirect intends to set the variable properly, but by adding:
set adbr=yes
above the line:
if %adbr%==yes goto N1

Allowed by to re-run the rest of the root process :)

Another thing I did notice when testing the script was that by selecting "N" to the "Do you want to replace the systemUI to have a perm back / menu button on status bar and have the N button goto home on first click?" question the script errors with a -N7 not found.

Last edited:

msorber

Dec 29, 2011
I am having the same problem. I followed the video that albert posted and even opened up the cmd line to double check my adb remout. Everything worked fine till i get:

"Your device was found to be rooted. Which is bothersome. However: I will see if you happen to have the proper modification installed to continue to use this script:"

followed by

"goto was not expected at this time".

cfoesch

Dec 27, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
I don't know if Nook&Zergy is setup to support the adbd hijack yet. But that is the most likely answer. Or in particular, you might not have the newest N&Z as well.

I also wanted to momentarily divert the thread, and mention that snowball-mod already includes this adb-hijack, so it is unnecessary to run it on snowball-mod. (However, Indirect worked with me to ensure that it wouldn't hose anything if you did.)

msorber

Dec 29, 2011
Before I ran nz, i downloaded the latest from Indirect's original root thread. If the updated one isn't using that link, then where do I find it?

albertwertz

Dec 8, 2011
Wolfforth, TX
Indirect and I were up kinda late last night working on this and he made several modification on my nook zergy extraction that he may have forgotten to make when he remade his and uploaded it for everyone. Here is a link to the mod he made of the latest nook zerg on my pc. This may have something that the new one doesnt that he forgot to do. I am sure he will fix the code soon, but until then, download and try this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24100179/Nookie/NookandZergy.bat

this is the nook zergy bat file he modified. copy it and replace the bat file in your new nook zergy extraction and see if it runs right with this app

This is only temporary, dont use this after he fixes it

Tri76

Dec 31, 2011
I just got my nook & I don't understand the programming that you are talking about. But if you both were up late working on the root script (assuming). Just an FYI once I finished w/ the driver loads & started loading the root script, my device wouldn't show up, did a factory reset 3 times, as well as removing any usb traces etc... finally got it to take & all the red stopped & never loaded in the gapps, launchers etc... I reloaded it again & it says that I am rooted, but having a heck of a time w/ Titanium doesn't want to accept any of the
devicemanager .apk stuff. Sorry for no tech terms, Indirect & Albert Thank you so much for making this easy. Loved the video, really helped a ton. Just wanted to say thanks & let you know of the glitch.

Last edited:

Tri76

Dec 31, 2011
I got it loaded now it is not recognizing the sd card 4 Titanium. I have done several of your factory reset, as well as the b&n reset still nada even put in 4 different cards. Happy New Year & Thanks for any help

TRI

arkraven000

Jan 1, 2012
I'm a little bit confused, my nook updated to 1.41, i've tried downloading adb hijacker to my nook, but it won't open, what am I doing wrong?

Edit: What exactly do I need to do to block the updates and allow my nook to use the android market again?

Last edited:

nearlyno0b

Dec 7, 2011
I'm a pathetic no0b, and I tried downloading the ADB hijacker to my nook, but it won't open. What do I need to do to fix this?
Thank you.

ETA the Nook updated the other day.

Last edited:

blueeyedsusan

May 31, 2011

Alright, what this application does, is hijacks adb using a root version instead which means from now on, you can do "adb remount" and things like that. This comes with all the needed files within the app and it also extracts them so no worries!

After you run the app once and click that magical button then you can reboot and you will have adb autostart as root so you can even uninstall the app afterwards. As of now, we do not have automount killed. However: I learned that adb stays on even while in usb mode.

Download Link:
Here

absolutely awesome!

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Guys, this doesn't stop updates or is usable on the 1.4.1 update..it's a 1.4.0 modification that hijacks the adb daemon on the device.

nearlyno0b

Dec 7, 2011
Ok, but what do we do if we didn't get to it in time and the stupid thing updated to 1.4.1? Do we have to return the thing to factory settings and lose all our content?:confused:
I'm sorry for asking dumb no0b questions, but if there is a guide for what to do in this situation, I can't seem to find it here.

Thanks for all you do, all the experts here!

ETA I found what I was looking for, in the "Nook general" forum. sorry to waste space on this thread.

Last edited:

arkraven000

Jan 1, 2012
My mistake, I thought I would be able to apply the update that stops the ota's through this. Which thread has the method to allow me access to market again? (effectivly null n' voiding the 1.41)

RegLinUsr

Dec 2, 2007
SoCal
Ok, but what do we do if we didn't get to it in time and the stupid thing updated to 1.4.1? Do we have to return the thing to factory settings and lose all our content?:confused:
I'm sorry for asking dumb no0b questions, but if there is a guide for what to do in this situation, I can't seem to find it here.

Thanks for all you do, all the experts here!

ETA I found what I was looking for, in the "Nook general" forum. sorry to waste space on this thread.

^^^^^ Quoted for the sake of others ^^^^^

My mistake, I thought I would be able to apply the update that stops the ota's through this. Which thread has the method to allow me access to market again? (effectivly null n' voiding the 1.41)

Below is a link to the information as to how to remove B&N 1.4.1 update and restore 1.4.0:

[Stock Firmware]Restore Barnes & Nobel Nook 1.4.0 from SDCard

ENJOY!

Reactions: arkraven000

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Download Link:
    Here

Indirect and I were up kinda late last night working on this and he made several modification on my nook zergy extraction that he may have forgotten to make when he remade his and uploaded it for everyone. Here is a link to the mod he made of the latest nook zerg on my pc. This may have something that the new one doesnt that he forgot to do. I am sure he will fix the code soon, but until then, download and try this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24100179/Nookie/NookandZergy.bat

this is the nook zergy bat file he modified. copy it and replace the bat file in your new nook zergy extraction and see if it runs right with this app

This is only temporary, dont use this after he fixes it
    Benefits and change log:

Benefits:
    Code:
     You can now rerun the rooting script to apply whatever modifications you missed out on
    You can now apply any mod using adb instead of file explorer
    You can remount your system by just using "adb remount" instead of using a file explorer
    Changelog:
    Code:
    2.0: Included needed files for extract / included busybox installer
    1.0: Initial Release

Credits:
    Code:
    brianf21 for showing me how to extract files from an apk so now you can install directly from the app and nothing else is needed except root.
    Nemith for the adb daemon
    Myself for the app, hijack method, and testing
    puellanivis from IRC for being terrible at communication and also help with a few of the commands
    This one is mine as well.