[FIX][APK][ZIP] DroidFroam - Manage data roaming ( force data roaming always ON )

Search This thread

raymccoy

Aug 23, 2008
DroidFroam
Version: 1.1

UPDATES:

- v1.1 (18/03/2013): Allow disabling data roaming

--------------

DroidFroam keeps data roaming always on.

It is a known problem from the Droid 3 that even if data roaming is set to enabled in settings, it will reset back to disabled after some time, showing the "data roaming is off" notification and you having to enable it again manually.

I'm using a small Spanish carrier that rents the network of another bigger carrier, so I'm on national roaming most of the time, and was sick of this problem. I had to re-enable data roaming maybe 30 times a day. So I made this little app to put an end to it!

How it works

The app listens to android.net.conn.CONNECTIVITY_CHANGE. If you are not on WiFi and the network is roaming, it will enable data roaming whenever there is a connectivity change. It also allows you to manually enable and disable data roaming, useful with Minimoto as there is no interface for doing this in that ROM.

How to install

The app needs the WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS permission, which is only available to system apps, so it needs to be installed as a system app.

If you have a rooted phone, the app will install itself as a system app on first launch (with your authorization of course). If not, you will have to install the zipped version via recovery (i.e. Safestrap), or you can copy it yourself with root explorer if you prefer.

I HAVE ONLY TESTED THE APP IN MY Droid 3 (XT862) WITH MINIMOTO 1.7. Let me know if it works for you!

This is my first android app so use under your own responsibility :D

device_2013_03_18_145112.png

Attachments

• DroidFroam_1_1.apk
    227.2 KB · Views: 2,062
  • DroidFroam_1_1.zip
    442.7 KB · Views: 814
Last edited:

RAD7

May 19, 2012
Query

I have a Motorola Atrix 2 model "EDISON" ME865 running stock Jellybean 4.1.2 with init.d support & rooted. I have read your disclaimers but can it cause serious harm of botching up my internet connectivity for good as it is a system app and mainly if it does cause issue is it possible to rollback to original settings simply by uninstalling the app?? I do have Nandroid but I do not want to do a restore for a small issue. Do reply as even I am fed up of this roaming settings issue. Thanks!

raymccoy

Aug 23, 2008
I have a Motorola Atrix 2 model "EDISON" ME865 running stock Jellybean 4.1.2 with init.d support & rooted. I have read your disclaimers but can it cause serious harm of botching up my internet connectivity for good as it is a system app and mainly if it does cause issue is it possible to rollback to original settings simply by uninstalling the app?? I do have Nandroid but I do not want to do a restore for a small issue. Do reply as even I am fed up of this roaming settings issue. Thanks!

Be sure to leave the app with the "force data roaming" setting to "disabled" before uninstalling, just in case. But it should be OK with just uninstalling.

In any case I think it doesn't work in Jellybean, only Gingerbread, but give it a try and let me know!

Reactions: RAD7

RAD7

May 19, 2012
Be sure to leave the app with the "force data roaming" setting to "disabled" before uninstalling, just in case. But it should be OK with just uninstalling.

In any case I think it doesn't work in Jellybean, only Gingerbread, but give it a try and let me know!

Thanks for the reply and if you say it will roll back to original setting making sure to disable 'force data roaming' if uninstalled then it's ok but since you also mention it works only on GB I am afraid to experiment on JB. No offense but just being cautious. I will try to bump this to my phone developers too to see if they can work this in to JB. Thanks again.

raymccoy

Aug 23, 2008
Thanks for the reply and if you say it will roll back to original setting making sure to disable 'force data roaming' if uninstalled then it's ok but since you also mention it works only on GB I am afraid to experiment on JB. No offense but just being cautious. I will try to bump this to my phone developers too to see if they can work this in to JB. Thanks again.

Well according to @roshandes who just wrote a few posts before, it works in his Micromax A110 (Canvas 2). which comes with Jelly Bean, so it MIGHT work in Jelly Bean, just I have never personally tested it so I can't say first hand.

Let me know if it works for you! :)

Last edited:

RAD7

May 19, 2012
Well according to @RoshanDoes who just wrote a few posts before, it works in his Micromax A110 (Canvas 2). which comes with Jelly Bean, so it MIGHT work in Jelly Bean, just I have never personally tested it so I can't say first hand.

Let me know if it works for you! :)

The canvas 2 is a ICS device and I was unsure if he updated to JB as it was not mentioned. I am tempted to give it a shot but am pensive that it should not screw up my internet connectivity or at least I should be able to revert to normal as before taking care of point mentioned by you while uninstalling. I will advise results when I go through the process. Is there something in particular that I can back up if I need to go back to original configuration?, Thanks!

raymccoy

Aug 23, 2008
The canvas 2 is a ICS device and I was unsure if he updated to JB as it was not mentioned. I am tempted to give it a shot but am pensive that it should not screw up my internet connectivity or at least I should be able to revert to normal as before taking care of point mentioned by you while uninstalling. I will advise results when I go through the process. Is there something in particular that I can back up if I need to go back to original configuration?, Thanks!

You can always make a nandroid backup if you want to be extra safe

RAD7

May 19, 2012
Issue

I installed apk & gave it root access & to install as a system app and enabled force roaming but the tabs were non functional for enable roaming & disable roaming & now all of a sudden it wont open up and throws a message " com.cactilio.droidfroam has stopped. I cleared the setting in SuperSU and tried again but no luck. So supposedly since I was successful in enabling the 'force roaming' tab but the moment phone went in to roaming now the data got disabled and I went to normal system settings & enabled roaming and data works then. Now I cant even click the disable tab close 'force data roaming' before uninstalling as advised by you. Next steps??

raymccoy

Aug 23, 2008
I installed apk & gave it root access & to install as a system app and enabled force roaming but the tabs were non functional for enable roaming & disable roaming & now all of a sudden it wont open up and throws a message " com.cactilio.droidfroam has stopped. I cleared the setting in SuperSU and tried again but no luck. So supposedly since I was successful in enabling the 'force roaming' tab but the moment phone went in to roaming now the data got disabled and I went to normal system settings & enabled roaming and data works then. Now I cant even click the disable tab close 'force data roaming' before uninstalling as advised by you. Next steps??

Sorry i have been travelling and didn't have internet, just read this. You can just uninstall DroidFroam and restart your phone, it shouldn't mess with your data roaming settings anymore.

slvador

Mar 14, 2018
Sorry i have been travelling and didn't have internet, just read this. You can just uninstall DroidFroam and restart your phone, it shouldn't mess with your data roaming settings anymore.

can you please send the source code, or better, can you tell us if there is a specific file we can edit manually if we have root access to change that setting?

i want to enable data roaming, my phone doesnt have that option because sprint blocks that option unless i am activated on their network, but i am using a different carrier, so i cant get all the settings enabled. and i dont want fancy rom, so i am using a rooted stock rom since i know everything works (gps, wifi, bluetooth...etc)

so again, is there a way to either
A) force all configurations to be availing in the setting without sprint activation or prl update
B) change the enable disable of data roaming directly through editing a file

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DroidFroam
    Version: 1.1

UPDATES:

- v1.1 (18/03/2013): Allow disabling data roaming

--------------

DroidFroam keeps data roaming always on.

It is a known problem from the Droid 3 that even if data roaming is set to enabled in settings, it will reset back to disabled after some time, showing the "data roaming is off" notification and you having to enable it again manually.

I'm using a small Spanish carrier that rents the network of another bigger carrier, so I'm on national roaming most of the time, and was sick of this problem. I had to re-enable data roaming maybe 30 times a day. So I made this little app to put an end to it!

How it works

The app listens to android.net.conn.CONNECTIVITY_CHANGE. If you are not on WiFi and the network is roaming, it will enable data roaming whenever there is a connectivity change. It also allows you to manually enable and disable data roaming, useful with Minimoto as there is no interface for doing this in that ROM.

How to install

The app needs the WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS permission, which is only available to system apps, so it needs to be installed as a system app.

If you have a rooted phone, the app will install itself as a system app on first launch (with your authorization of course). If not, you will have to install the zipped version via recovery (i.e. Safestrap), or you can copy it yourself with root explorer if you prefer.

I HAVE ONLY TESTED THE APP IN MY Droid 3 (XT862) WITH MINIMOTO 1.7. Let me know if it works for you!

This is my first android app so use under your own responsibility :D

device_2013_03_18_145112.png
    Updated to version v1.1, now you can disable data roaming as well.